Ray Charles blue

Won the first two.....

Last Tuesday I played in a FOX tv golf tournament and yes.....we won.

I have played the last three years and we finished 1st, then 2nd, and now 1st again. Last year a team cheated to win and it was easily seen. lol

On Sunday my dad and I played in a golf tournament. We got in on Saturday. Minimum handi needed is 12. He is a 19 and I am a 2. There were a lot of teams that had JUST enough handi to play so I figured we would get smoked. Its a 27 hole tournament, 1st nine you play your own ball, 2nd nine you play scramble, 3rd nine is alternate shot. We went 35, 32, and 39. I shot 35 on the front and used 2 of my dads my dads shots shooting 32 and in the alternate shot I had him within 50 yards on all but 1 par 4 (which its up hill and 430 yards) and that one he was only 125 out on.

We finished at -2 and won by 2 strokes. He has played 3 times and I have played 4 times prior to the tournament.

2 for 2 baby.

Only tournament I havent won at least once is member-member with my dad. He won it years ago with another guy when he was able to play better. Each year we finish the 1st day either in 1st or tied for 1st and the 2nd day we fall back. He has back issues and gets tired very easily so I have to shoot 66-68 both days by myself which is a pretty tough task to do! A few years ago I got hot and we shot 65 and I used one shot of his and we had a 3 shot advantage. When we play captain and mate he might give 3-4 shots per 18 holes and mostly they are either a chip or a putt. We have a good time though and I am hoping he and I can pull it out of our asses.

God I wish I could play more. If I could afford to update my old X14s and my Titleist 3-wood. Plus I need to re-shaft my FT IQ 8.5 Tour. Its shorter than my old drivers and the shaft doesnt have enough stiffness. I only swing about 107-109 but its all on the bottom and the shaft cant keep up if I ever give it a little extra. Also would like a little more of a low bend point to give me a slightly higher ball flight. I hit the ball high but the 8.5 along with a high bend point is a little lower than I would prefer.

Black
    1999 Z/28 M6

i've just taken up golf this year and i'm loving it. granted when compared to your scores i'm not good at all. i started shooting in the mid 60s on 9 holes and i'm down into the high 50s now so i've shaved about 5 strokes off in 2 months so i'm happy with that. i'm a tall guy and i've been using standard clubs. tonite i just picked up my custom clubs made for me for my height by a local pro shop (3 - 9 irons, pitching wedge, sand wedge) for $280. i'm hoping that with the new clubs i'll be a lot more comfortable and more importantly more consistent so i can take a few more strokes off my game.

Ray Charles blue

You will get better. Honestly, people say a baseball swing is bad but a baseball swing is the same as a golf swing just instead of swinging around your body you swing up over your shoulder. You will get better, just give it some time.

Its a good time, you dont have to be good at it to enjoy it. Remember, its something like only one half of one percent ever break 90 for 18 holes. If you are at all athletic you will pick it up quickly. There are some tricks to remember that make things easier. Try to get a few lessons for your grip, stance, inside arm placelemt, and your finish. It does help, also, if you ever have a question give me a pm or something. I am no pro but I am far better than the average Joe.

Black
    1999 Z/28 M6

kool. yeah i had to take an aerobic activity credit so i could graduate from college and apparently golf qualifies. hit a lil ball...go for a lil walk...something like that.

when i went and got fitted for my clubs the dude set me up with a lesson so he could watch my swing. he brought out some clubs and had me use ones that were very close to what he made for me and gave me some pointers primarily on my grip but also on my stance. they helped a lot. i felt a lot more comfortable with the stance that he showed me...slight knee bend, bend over at the waist and allow arms to hang naturally. that's where the club grip should be and the length of the club should be at the ball with that stance.

being taller that means i have bigger hands so he actually set me up with 1/2 oversized grips to help out with my club feel. i haven't had a chance to try them out yet...but i've got my best friends bachelor party this saturday (he's also my golfing buddy) and i plan on using them then.

actually it works out pretty damn nice. i got my friend to come out with me when i had to go for 9 holes outside of class as my assignment and ever since he's really gotten into it. he used to play when we were in high school but quit playing and then he picked it up again now that i started playing. we got a good routine going to. usually play about twice a week and the loser buys the other a beer when we go out for a burger afterwards. friendly wager.

seriously i'm loving it. even the g/f is coming around to being understanding about it.

Ray Charles blue

Thats cool man. One thing, if you change your grips you dont need oversize of midsize grips. You can put masking tape under the grip tape to build it out. I have built probably 100 sets of clubs, drivers, fairway woods, putters, wedges....and regripped thousands of clubs. lol

We still have boxes of grips in the garage somewhere.

Keep at it man, you will have a blast and if you can get your woman in to it or if she doesnt care that is all the better.

Black
    1999 Z/28 M6

haha...i'm all about this. he set me up with the grips since he was building the clubs for me. he did mention that he could wrap tape under the grip or use an oversize grip. if i remember right he said it would be the same price so i just went with the larger grips...seemed to make more sense to me at the moment.

Ray Charles blue

If they get slippery you can use a little rubbing alcohol to get your hand "juices" off. lol Dont be afraid to use a a brush on them either.

Black
    1999 Z/28 M6

kool. i was also told that a glove helps out a lot also. i picked them up the other evening and they look amazing. unfortunately i've been working a lot and the weather hasn't been the greatest so i haven't been able to get to the range yet to try them out. at least i have them for the bachelor party this saturday.

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

Golf: A great walk spoiled by a little white ball.

LeMans
    2005 Corvette 2005 GTO

Congrats man, only played 3 rounds this year.. Damn work

Ray Charles blue

Quote Originally Posted by 67CamaroRSSS View Post
    Golf: A great walk spoiled by a little white ball.
    Who the hell walks? Beer is heavy. Carts FTW!

Quote Originally Posted by BadBlueBird* View Post
    Congrats man, only played 3 rounds this year.. Damn work
    I played 5 times.....

Sebring Silver
    2000 CamaroSS

Damn.....you should join the tour

http://www.pgatour.com/r/stats/info/xm.html?108

Ray Charles blue

No way. I have played with some of those guys. I will say I am longer than 99% of the guys on tour, however those boys can chip and putt like mad. Having played with card holders I can say that yes, I can play with them if I am on my best and they are just so so but not when they are on. No way no how. lol

I know my limitations. Part of it is I dont play a lot but those guys are dedicated and have such raw natural talent (and a swing coach).

Black
    1999 Z/28 M6

well i finally got the new clubs out to the range yesterday afternoon. very nice. simple swing...nothing fast on the backswing or downswing and i'm getting great distance, control, and better accuracy. i'm excited. it's going to take some more getting used to with them but so far i'm enjoying them. i was really impressed with my 3 iron off a tee. i can nail that sucker about 200 yards now...give or take...that's better than my driver! we're gonna go out this afternoon for a 9 for my buddy's bachelor party so it'll be a good time.

Ray Charles blue

Have a blast man.

These simple tips are for if you are right handed, switch everything if you are a lefty.

Feet just about shoulder width apart with your toes pointed out slightly. Bend slightly at the knees and your ass should be right over your heels. When you grip I am sure you either interlock or over lap. You should see 3 knucked on your left hand and both of the V's in between your pointer finger and thumb should point at your right shoulder. With your driver play the ball off your left nipple. With irons pull it back slightly and with your wedges you should be close to the center of your stance. The shorter the club the further back you should play it. The take away is with your left arm only. Your right elbow should be tucked in to your side. WATCH THE CLUB HIT THE BALL! Finish high and your wang should point right at your target, its a full turn pretty much. Then just smile when you are longer and closer than your friends.

Once you get comfortable with everything mess around with ball placement. Depending on what type of shot I need to hit I play it off my front or all the way off my back foot.

Black
    1999 Z/28 M6

i shot a 60 yesterday...not my best but hey...first time on the course with the new clubs. i did manage one milestone though. a short 150 yard to the pin and i got on the green in one shot by teeing up a 6 iron. i was impressed with myself...hell...it looked like i knew what i was doing! parred that hole so i was happy. not the best that i've done on that particular course...but only by 1 stroke so not worried about it. the larger grips feel excellent. no more squeezing the shit out of the club to take away that "i'm gonna throw this thing down the course as i follow through" feeling.

i must say though that we are no longer going to this particular course. the ridges in wisconsin rapids. so frickin pissed at them. the place USED to be higher caliber but i don't know what happened. of the 3 times we went there the first time was probably the best time. the 2nd time we were the 2nd to last tee off of the day on a sunday and it showed. on hole 4, 5, and 6 they turned on the fucking sprinklers and by hole 8 and 9 they were following us with the pesticide truck and letting their dogs run loose. yesterday we come up on hole 4 and again they turn the sprinklers on...mind you that it's about 2:30 on a saturday afternoon. takes them a few minutes of us going "what the fuck dude" and them staring at us and the sprinklers to get them turned off. we play through and on the next 3 holes they are doing grounds maintenance. firing up the weed whacker to clean up around the trees. really...they couldn't do this shit any other time? i've never been to a course where they did this kind of stuff. water at night and do your maintenance before you open in the morning. the "lower class" course that we go to more often we've never encountered anything like this so that's where we'll go from now on.

Ray Charles blue

No class.....them not you.

Sebring Silver
    2000 CamaroSS

Quote Originally Posted by 1MileCrash View Post
    i shot a 60 yesterday....
    So....what did you shoot on the back 9 ?

Ray Charles blue

Quote Originally Posted by rbob93 View Post
    He is not that bad. I remember when I was 13 and just starting. I would hit high 50s and when I turned 14 I started getting mid-high 40s. When I turned 15 though I started hitting low 40s and then I shot a 36 one day! From then it seemed like I was able to shoot in the 30s on a regular basis.

It just takes time. I am betting that he is in the 50s by the end of the year and in the 40s by the end of next year. If he gets some help from a teaching pro he might progress even faster. Sounds like he has a love for the game so he will be fine.

Black
    1999 Z/28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by rbob93 View Post
    we just shot the front 9

Thread Information