Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

Exclamation woman gets jury duty for life for being racist!!!

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2011/04/...duty-for-life/

NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) — Was she trying to get out of jury duty? Or when she wrote in the questionnaire that “African-Americans, Hispanics and Haitians” are the three people I admire the least — is that how she really felt?
    Either way, it did get her off the jury. But, as CBS 2’s Pablo Guzman reports, that was only the beginning of a drama between juror and judge.
    The courthouse where Federal Judge Nicholas Garaufis presides has been abuzz over the action he has taken against a potential juror when he questioned why she wrote things like quote “African-Americans, Hispanics and Haitians” are “the three people I like the least.” A lot of people thought she was trying to get out of jury duty.
    “She’s trying to get off jury duty. You can’t second-guess her. This is how she feels. Not a right way to feel,” said Matt Kagan of Brooklyn Heights.
    The juror is a young Asian woman, and she had written that she has a relative who’s in a notorious Chinese gang. So Judge Garaufis sarcastically asked, “Why didn’t you put ‘Asians’ down also?”
    The juror responded, “Maybe I should have.”
    The judge then exploded, saying “This is an outrage, and so are you!”
    He excused her from the panel, but then ordered her to come to court – every day.
    “Outrageous! I might’ve said ‘outrageous’ That sounds like me. It is outrageous!” Fordham Law Professor Jim Cohen said.
    “Now it would be a very different story if the judge held this particular juror in contempt, but merely because the judge found the answers to the questions on the questionnaire offensive, does not give the judge the right, ah, to, extend jury service — or to do really much of anything!”
    Cohen also said suppose the woman wasn’t trying to get out of jury duty. Suppose those racist answers that she gave were how she really felt? Cohen said even though it’s despicable to many, the judge would still have had to let her go because of that perceived bias – instead of keeping her in perpetuity.
    Most observers believe Judge Garaufis will dismiss the juror soon, hoping she has learned a lesson about jury duty.
    sucks to be her...

Sounds like the judge is an asshole that doesn't believe people can have their own opinions.

2016 Camaro SS - Summit
    2001 Trans Am WS6 - NBM

I know quite a few people who got out of jury duty like that. I would have trouble not doing it myself. That's money out of my pocket for missing work. Now if they would match my pay at work, that's a different story. I'd be doing jury duty just to get out of my office

white
    90 Mustang 5.0

You know, while "racism" is wrong or at least perceived that way by many, I still think people have the RIGHT to feel the way they do just as long as they dont act out on it and take away the rights of others. So if its her opinion, shes entitled to it. If she doesnt like blacks and hispanics, perhaps she also isnt to keen on the new camaro? Get the point? This kind of shit is the type of crap about this country that is really starting to piss me off. People arent allowed to have their own opinion anymore and if they do, they are penalized for it. Is it even legal what the judge did? It was a simple question and she responded to it. So be it. Is what she said actually racist or is it only because the person on trial was obviously of color? Thats quite a conundrum isnt it.......If the blacks and hispanics werent commiting crimes in the frequency they do, her opinion would be viewed as only opinion.................

Awaiting Activation

That judge could kiss my ass. I'll be damned if I'd be going back every day for that bullshit.

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by Grimpala View Post
    That judge could kiss my ass. I'll be damned if I'd be going back every day for that bullshit.

Ray Charles blue

People dislike people for the color of their skin, you cant stop it and you wont. The thing is unless they are acting on it leave them be.

By doing this she is not going to like those people any more than she already does. lol

Steel blue pearlcoat
    2000 dodge intrepid

My wife tried to get me to do that when I had to pull jury duty. I asked her if she was insane ,and be labled a known racist for life when I am not?. I still got out of it but still had to stay because there was several cases they was looking for jurors for. It is no big deal really, it was horrible for the first hour or so when they packed 200 or so people in the room, but once they started pulling groups to go for jury selection it wasn't bad. I sat there read the news papers and waited. I ended up getting out of 3 cases because they involved auto accidents, and this was a couple weeks after my friend was killed by a drunk driver. I guess when I explained the story to the first judge it got me out of the other 2. the other ones had the juries selected by 3 pm and we was all out of there.

The fact is you most likely will be able to get out of jury duty if you are in a financial hardship or whatever, so while I don't agree with what she put down I hate the fact that the judge did what he done. I think the judges decicion will be reversed and he may have to pay a fine or whatever. Whatever happens it shows that this country and the powers that be are taking our rights away more and more.

black
    firebird formula 99

Thats crazy

Black
    2002 Camaro SS (crashed)

If you're a felon you never have to go to jury duty.. problem solve.

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by Soltakr View Post
    If you're a felon you never have to go to jury duty.. problem solve.
    LOL...

on a side note shit like this should put that judge out of a job... that is flat out abuse of power...

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

Quote Originally Posted by Spaz View Post
    LOL...

on a side note shit like this should put that judge out of a job... that is flat out abuse of power...
    Exactly! Judicial activism at it's worst...

light pewter metallic
    1999 z28

racism isnt illegal unless acted upon. IIRC. how can a judge (man of the law) punish someone for not doing anything illegal????

Ray Charles blue

Maybe he is the judge from the movie Nothing But Trouble. lol

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

if only the west borough baptist shit heads would go in to this judges court...

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Quote Originally Posted by The Manalishi View Post
    Sounds like the judge is an asshole that doesn't believe people can have their own opinions.
    ...and I'll give you 3 guess's which side of the isle this dill-hole comes from, and the first 2 don't count...

Ray Charles blue

Quote Originally Posted by Spaz View Post
    if only the west borough baptist shit heads would go in to this judges court...
    I was juror #1 a few years ago in Wellsboro (Jeff knows the place well) and I fell asleep during a video testamony......lol I only woke up because my chair creeked!

I thought I was busted. Some of the people in that jury I wouldnt trust to tie my shoes.

Awaiting Activation

I got notice in the mail that I have jury duty on the 2nd of May. I have a feeling that I won't be chosen once they ready my juror survey.

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Just tell them you believe that capital punishment should be considered in all felonious cases..

That should do the trick..

Ray Charles blue

Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    Just tell them you believe that capital punishment should be considered in all misdemeanor cases..

That should do the trick..
    FIXED! lol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information