Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Black
    1999 Camaro Z28

Why are people with A.S. Degree's frowned upon?

My plans for going away to college just aren't going to work, I truly can not afford it. There is no way. So I decided to get my A.S. in Building Construction Technology. So far I have heard nothing but negative comments about it from the people I tell. Literally, its the same courses as you would take the last 2 years of your Batchelors, but I don't have to take all the pre-reqs. Sure, getting a Batchelors is a great accomplishment but 4 years in college is not for everyone. I was wondering if the guys with A.S. degree's would chime in and give their experience, as well as the people with their Batchelors.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

I hire em all the time....most of them are hard working and good folks and just didn't have the funds for the 4 year college "experience".....I never get to caught up in the education bullshit....I look at the person.

Black
    1999 Camaro Z28

I need to come work for you. I'm 20 but I've been in this industry (mechanical, HVAC, Plumbing, Building automation systems) for over 2 years and now that I am talking about getting my A.S. degree I'm facing loosing my job.

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    I hire em all the time....most of them are hard working and good folks and just didn't have the funds for the 4 year college "experience".....I never get to caught up in the education bullshit....I look at the person.

that is why you will always be successful...

Black
    '99 SS

From what I'm told an associates degree is a dime a dozen... To stand out from the crowd you need to take the next step. My plan requires a bachelors so I never really took into account JUST getting an associates.

I'm paying for my college also, when (in a few semesters) I head to a four year I'm going to have to take out a student loan. Thems the breaks... we wake up at 6... work 7-6... get to school at 7... get out of class around 11... go home, eat, homework, go to sleep, rinse repeat. It sucks now, but in a few years maybe we'll be able to afford that zr-1

(After we pay back the fuckin student loans)
    tl:dr: Scholarships, Grants, Student Loans. That order.

Black
    '99 SS

Quote Originally Posted by JHayesLS1 View Post
    I need to come work for you. I'm 20 but I've been in this industry (mechanical, HVAC, Plumbing, Building automation systems) for over 2 years and now that I am talking about getting my A.S. degree I'm facing loosing my job.
    Any company that doesn't want it's employees "growing" is not the company for you. (anybody) There are too many companies out there that do want their employees to grow to waste your time with the one your at.

Light Pewter Metallic
    y2k 8-cylinder catfish

I have an A.S. I've been pretty successful and make enough money to pay my bills and buy the things I like. That's more then enough for me. Both are a piece of paper that get your foot through the door.

2000 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 A4 - Light Pewter Metallic
    Direct Flo lid, SLP Loudmouth, Bassani Offroad Y-Pipe, BMR strut tower brace, BMR subframe connectors, shift points tune and !EGR

2011 Kia Forte EX A6 Sportmatic - Titanium Silver Metallic

Black
    1999 Camaro Z28

That's how I'm beginning to feel. I'm just trying to get an education and work. I work hard, I always have. I've never been fired only begged to come back to the 2 places I left.

White
    '10 ZR1

That's how I'm beginning to feel. I'm just trying to get an education and work. I work hard, I always have. I've never been fired only begged to come back to the 2 places I left.

Sure, they can beg all they want - but will they pay the piper?

Black
    1999 Camaro Z28

exactly, I'll work hard for good money. Plus I'll have an education to back myself up. I just don't see why people that A.S. degree's are looked down at, when it really isn't easy to get one.

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by Tonik View Post
    From what I'm told an associates degree is a dime a dozen... To stand out from the crowd you need to take the next step. My plan requires a bachelors so I never really took into account JUST getting an associates.

I'm paying for my college also, when (in a few semesters) I head to a four year I'm going to have to take out a student loan. Thems the breaks... we wake up at 6... work 7-6... get to school at 7... get out of class around 11... go home, eat, homework, go to sleep, rinse repeat. It sucks now, but in a few years maybe we'll be able to afford that zr-1

(After we pay back the fuckin student loans)
    tl:dr: Scholarships, Grants, Student Loans. That order.
    a peice of paper doesn't necessarily make you stnad out from one person to the next... motivation and passion for the job is what will earn you employment...

Black
    99 Z28

My plans for going away to college just aren't going to work, I truly can not afford it. There is no way. So I decided to get my A.S. in Building Construction Technology. So far I have heard nothing but negative comments about it from the people I tell. Literally, its the same courses as you would take the last 2 years of your Batchelors, but I don't have to take all the pre-reqs. Sure, getting a Batchelors is a great accomplishment but 4 years in college is not for everyone. I was wondering if the guys with A.S. degree's would chime in and give their experience, as well as the people with their Batchelors.

Eh, I hope this doesn't land wrong. All in fun, but I know people that have highschool diplomas (or not even that) who can spell Bachelor

All in all, some people may have something bad to say about it, but most that are the place where you'd want to work anyway would not care.
    Last edited by DrMilhouse; 06-09-2008 at 11:43 AM.

Black
    2002 Camaro SS (crashed)

I asked the same question once at an old job, I got- "It's basically a certificate for a half-ass accomplishment." That’s rough but I got pretty much the same answer at few other places. I'm sure it has a lot to do with what field you’re in. I dont think there is anything of "lesser" value to it, it just happens to come faster then a BS.
    Last edited by Soltakr; 06-09-2008 at 12:52 PM.
    (2002 SS 6spd) SLP lid & scoop,NX wet kit & maf, NGK-TR6,160',MSD,Kooks LT & y-pipe,SLP Dual center exhaust,cut-out,tuning SUSPENSION Chromoly k-member, Chromoly adjustable upper and lower a-arms,koni s-adj,Eibach sport springs,Wilwood brakes,SB,BSK,TA,TAB,SFC,PHB,ST,18x9.5&18x10.5, Nittos

Black
    2002 Camaro SS (crashed)

Quote Originally Posted by Spaz View Post
    a peice of paper doesn't necessarily make you stnad out from one person to the next... motivation and passion for the job is what will earn you employment...
    I would respectfully disagree; the piece of paper is proof of motivation and passion. There needs to be curtain benchmarks to prove to society how good you are. Not just saying it during an interview. Example: nobody wants to be operated on by C+ doctor, just because he really likes his job.

I see Yello and I like it 02cetransam's Avatar

yellow
    02 Collector Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    now thats a good man!

Everything fiberglass
    2005 Amberlamps

Generally your level of education has a positive correlation with your salary.

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

AS = Almost Shit
    BS = Bull Shit
    MS = More Shit
    PH.D. = Piled High & Deep
    Last edited by 67CamaroRSSS; 06-09-2008 at 02:40 PM.

Black
    '99 SS

Quote Originally Posted by Soltakr View Post
    I would respectfully disagree; the piece of paper is proof of motivation and passion. There needs to be curtain benchmarks to prove to society how good you are. Not just saying it during an interview. Example: nobody wants to be operated on by C+ doctor, just because he really likes his job.
    +1
    A higher level of education is proof positive that you are willing to do what it takes to get what you are striving for. If the HR manager is deciding who to hire, you talking a good game or me with proof of my determination, the choice is clear.

EDIT: Get on CareerBuilder or Monster and see how many "professional" jobs require degrees. Damn near every single one of them.
    Last edited by Tonik; 06-09-2008 at 03:11 PM. Reason: edit

Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by 86 IROC-Z View Post
    Generally your level of education has a positive correlation with your salary.
    correct, up until you get a phd... people with phds have been shown to earn less money than non phds

Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6

im lucky enough to have my parents pay for my college... unfortunately the reason why an associates degree is looked down upon is because so amny people are lucky enough to their parents pay, so so many people get a 4 year degree... even a bachelor of arts is looked down upon... i've heard a b.a. being called the new high school diploma... it jsut doesnt set you aprt from the rest of the field. look into going to a local college and getting a 4 year bachelors... if you can continue to live at home youill save a lot of money over dorming... theres definitely a way you can make it work... sell the ta....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information