Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why ??????

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

Why ??????

My car has been having a really rough idle lately so I took it to a couple local shops to get it fixed. Well I get to the first place after setting up a appointment 3 days prior and after all day the guy doesnt even get to my car. Plus the fact he doesnt even have the equiptment to diagnose whats wrong. This happens again at another place (seems in their adds they all have on site tuners/diagnostics but thats bullshit). I cant take anymore so I bend over and take it to a chevy dealer to get it fixed. I just got new wheels so I called down there and told the shop manager to go look at my wheels and make a note that they have no curb rash/dents cause I overlooked doing this when I dropped off the car. He says no problem. In about 2 hours I get a call and they are saying my wheels have a big dent in them and they didnt do it and then they tell me they "have no interest in fixing my car" HUH? I go down there after the manager accuses me of "setting them up" and also he hung up on me to find that they are talking about this one spot(I dont know how they even found it) about as big as a bb saying they didnt do it blah blah. The position of this microscopic blemish is such that a curb couldnt even cause it. So I leave and my car still idles like shit!!!!!

sorry for the long drawn out rant but damn what will it take to find a normal person to fix my idle??? sonofa!!

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

you officially have the worst luck of LS1.com...holy shit, i'd split some heads

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by BREAKxNECKxSPEED View Post
    My car has been having a really rough idle lately so I took it to a couple local shops to get it fixed. Well I get to the first place after setting up a appointment 3 days prior and after all day the guy doesnt even get to my car. Plus the fact he doesnt even have the equiptment to diagnose whats wrong. This happens again at another place (seems in their adds they all have on site tuners/diagnostics but thats bullshit). I cant take anymore so I bend over and take it to a chevy dealer to get it fixed. I just got new wheels so I called down there and told the shop manager to go look at my wheels and make a note that they have no curb rash/dents cause I overlooked doing this when I dropped off the car. He says no problem. In about 2 hours I get a call and they are saying my wheels have a big dent in them and they didnt do it and then they tell me they "have no interest in fixing my car" HUH? I go down there after the manager accuses me of "setting them up" and also he hung up on me to find that they are talking about this one spot(I dont know how they even found it) about as big as a bb saying they didnt do it blah blah. The position of this microscopic blemish is such that a curb couldnt even cause it. So I leave and my car still idles like shit!!!!!

sorry for the long drawn out rant but damn what will it take to find a normal person to fix my idle??? sonofa!!
    is your SES light on? go to auto zone... write down what ever codes they pull could be something as simple as a spark plug... and what did you take it in to get fixed?

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

No ses light on. New plugs, new wires,new fuel filter. I looked for vacum leaks. I have a really messed up back so I cant work on the car. I am taking it to another chevy dealer tomorrow. I dont care what it cost I want the idle fixed. I think it is fuel related only because it has gotten worse in the past few months (thats how long I have been trying to get it fixed). Back when I first tried to get it fixed the shop told me it was motor mounts which I knew was complete Bullshit. Come to find out-they had noone who could run the diagnostic computer or HP tuners. Alot of these shops lie about having a tuner on sight-they have a guy they call when they need him and he isnt coming out on a whim they have to make appt. with him.

I am getting surgery again soon and have been thinking heavily about getting some kind of education to tune and diagnose cars since building houses is out of the question now.

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by BREAKxNECKxSPEED View Post
    No ses light on. New plugs, new wires,new fuel filter. I looked for vacum leaks. I have a really messed up back so I cant work on the car. I am taking it to another chevy dealer tomorrow. I dont care what it cost I want the idle fixed. I think it is fuel related only because it has gotten worse in the past few months (thats how long I have been trying to get it fixed). Back when I first tried to get it fixed the shop told me it was motor mounts which I knew was complete Bullshit. Come to find out-they had noone who could run the diagnostic computer or HP tuners. Alot of these shops lie about having a tuner on sight-they have a guy they call when they need him and he isnt coming out on a whim they have to make appt. with him.

I am getting surgery again soon and have been thinking heavily about getting some kind of education to tune and diagnose cars since building houses is out of the question now.

not all codes throw the ses light... sounds ignition related...

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

That sucks! Lets see some pics of your new wheels!

Slower Than a 3rd Gen juiced99ws6's Avatar

Mystic Teal
    99 Trans Am & 01 CBR 929

hey man i know you said you dont want to work on your car but go out and pull your "engine sensors" fuse. that will cause your car to run in a closed loop "limp mode" and if that fixes your idle then it is either your TPS, IAC sensor or MAF sensor. If it doesnt fix it then you pretty much eliminated a sensor however if it runs good and just idles like shit then that should help ya out. It is one of the fuses under the hood. Lemme know if that helps you.

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

Quote Originally Posted by juiced99ws6 View Post
    hey man i know you said you dont want to work on your car but go out and pull your "engine sensors" fuse. that will cause your car to run in a closed loop "limp mode" and if that fixes your idle then it is either your TPS, IAC sensor or MAF sensor. If it doesnt fix it then you pretty much eliminated a sensor however if it runs good and just idles like shit then that should help ya out. It is one of the fuses under the hood. Lemme know if that helps you.
    Hey buddy I really appreciate that. I noticed the car sputters a tiny bit while driving it. Is it possible it could still be a sensor issue? I will try that for sure.

Again-thank you very much.

Mystic Teal
    99 Trans Am & 01 CBR 929

yes it could still be a sensor issue, the MAF will definatly cause some wierd things and the TPS sensor can cause wierd things as well. if pulling that fuse helps you out any then you can take the car somewhere where they can read real time data inputs and should be able to notice an abnormality in a sensors reading.

oh and its no problem just lemme know what you find

Everything fiberglass
    2005 Amberlamps

You didn't install a 305 TPI lately, did you? What you describe is a common problem with those, among many, many, many other things.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

do you have an excessive amount of soot in your exhaust tips? Does it do it when it first starts up or does it do it after a few minutes of running?

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

I havent noticed an excessive amount of soot. When I first start it she cranks fine no problem-then she will idle decent for 10-15 seconds then surge and rough for 10 seconds then she might idle good for 20-30 seconds then surge and rough for 10-15 seconds. It contunues this pattern of idle while hot. I noticed while in park if I give her light throttle I can feel her miss and she feels rough.

I am gonna pull the fuse he spoke of above and see what she does but in my mind I believe its a fuel issue (only because she has gotten worse over the past few months)
    I sure appreciate everyones help. There are alot of really good people on this site.

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

Quote Originally Posted by 86 IROC-Z View Post
    You didn't install a 305 TPI lately, did you? What you describe is a common problem with those, among many, many, many other things.
    The last car I owned before this was a 87 IROC. Bought it for 2 grand and pretty much redid everything but the motor. I never had one issue with that engine ever. Idled perfectly-all I ever did was plugs/wires/fuel filter/oil and thats all. It was a 305tpi. I must have been lucky. My ex got that car when we split up which sucked cause my dad and I did all the work together before I hurt my back.

Miss Pennsylvania ls1blackbeauty98's Avatar

'98 Black Gone :(
    01 WS6 Midnight Blue

i feel for u on the whole local shop thing, those guys dont have the kind of money to buy the kind of diag tools they need to diag every different type of vehicle they must diag/fix. so that sucks, taking it to the chevy dealer...well no deal likes to mess with a modified car, thats for sure.
    pull the code from auto zone, and tell us what it is.. i can look it up at work if no one can recognize the code.
    there are a few different sensors like the guys were saying that could cause the car to idle rough.
    ps- id be really pissed if my wheels were damaged at a shop, and its going to be really hard to get them to do anything if their service manager isnt willing to step up and take responsibility for the damage. good luck

Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6

sorry man...good luck

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Hang in there. Do you have an aftermarket/descreened MAF?

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

Here is what has happened in the past 6 months:
    1) found a shop that specializes in vettes and f bodies and got new plugs and wires. When I went to pick it up I found out they were "test driving it" Which is a no no in my book.
    2) went back to the same shop for tranny pan install/filter/fluid. Told them-I dont want anyone driving my car (because I know what they do) When I picked up the car the trip meter was reset and it was eveident they drove the car again. Noticed a banging noise at times.
    3) I took the car back again for a leaking pan gasket- I stayed with the car but the owner who fixed the gasket didnt know I was there and I saw him with my own eyes dogging my car in the parking lot.
    -I figured if I stayed with the car nothing could happen. I then told them that was total BS and left so I didnt go to jail I was that pissed. I confronted him online and he told me I was nuts blah blah blah. this confirmed my suspicion they had dogged my car every time I left it there. I also tried to get the idle fixed at this time and was told it was the motor mounts which is BS. They also lied about how much tranny fluid the car needed when the pan gasket was changed. 1st time 7 quarts 2nd time 4 quarts.
    4) Take the car to a different shop which didnt have the proper equiptment to fix the idle.
    5) Take the car to another shop where it sits all day without being touched after I waited 3 days for an appointment. They didnt have diagnostic equiptment either.
    6) Took it to chevy dealer and had them wind up telling me they "had no interest in working on my car" because of the wheel having a small nick in it which they say they didnt do.

* I am just not having very good luck. I didnt want anyone driving my car cause I bought it with 67,000 miles and I knew if they drove it they would abuse it. I am taking it to a different chevy dealer in the morning. I had no luck with the fuse taken out in closed loop and I also tried a new MAF which did nothing.
    I may have to pay more to get her fixed at the dealer but at least they wont be out joyriding in my car.
    Having health issues sucks cause you cant work on your car your self.
    Last edited by LETHALxLS1; 07-17-2007 at 06:21 PM.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Well it's a nice looking car, hope it all works out for ya.

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

Thank you bud- the MAF is stock to answer your question. Its just hard to find a good shop. They all claim to have tuning on site but thats all BS. I finally found a decent place to take it to for the banging noise (either rear diff. or tranny) after the idle is fixed (crossing fingers)

Mystic Teal
    99 Trans Am & 01 CBR 929

well i am sorry that didnt work out for you but I wish you the best of luck and really hope that you get it fixed soon

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information