[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

who here invests in the stock market???

i have some medium risk shares i bought when i was 18... i did it after hearing my uncle bought stock in some technology company in mexico for $0.10 a share... he bought a shit load of shares... they went up to $8.00 a share in a few months... so it motivated me to start doing the same...
    i haven't been active with it though since the sept 11th attack... a few months after that day i liquidated 3/4 of my stocks...

any one else here active with them???

Black
    1999 Trans-Am

Now this is intresting...I have no stock yet but would like some in a few.

Where would i go to get info on buy/selling stock? Other than make a thread about it lol...

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by NorthwoodDavid View Post
    Now this is intresting...I have no stock yet but would like some in a few.

Where would i go to get info on buy/selling stock? Other than make a thread about it lol...
    i went to my bank and spoke to an adviser... he showed me options on buying stock and recomended what kind ot buy... i'd say give your bank a call...

Green
    94 Camaro 3.4

I've always been fairly successful at the stock simulations... Recently I've been making a ton off GM... they keep pin balling between 9 and 11 bucks.

But as for the real deal? Well, I've got 3 shares of Disney that I got 8 years ago.... um... thats it.

00 TA PWTR, 98 VertTA NBM
    80 TA BLK, 80 Formula NBM

i really want to get into stocks . . .just dont know much about em.

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by GULLETT17 View Post
    i really want to get into stocks . . .just dont know much about em.
    i don't know much either... but the guy that helped me get my stocks explane a shit load to me... i wish i still remembered what he said...

Nothing special
    Nothing special

Bad idea.

There's more to buying stock than going to the bank and talking to an investment broker and seeing what he or she says.

It takes an extreme amount of knowledge, investigation, and understanding of how it all works.

Part of the problem with the stock market right now and it's inherent instability and volatility is that there is too much stupid money going in and out too fast. Uninformed yahoos trying to hit the proverbial Intel Google Yahoo lottery. Day traders are THE biggest problem with the stock market, IMHO.

Many a fool and their money have been seperated by the ease of an online E trade account.

In short, don't do it. Go see an investment broker, sure. Go meet with 20 of them. Get a feel for who you like the best, who you trust (afterall, it's your money you're handing over to them). Do research as to what investment company (Morgan Keegan, etc) has the best ratings, the most stable, etc.

Sit down and make an honest assessment of your finances as they stand now, not what you're anticipated to make in 5 years. What do you owe on student loans? Credit cards? How is your credit history? How much can you actually afford to sock away per month?

You CAN catch lightning in a bottle. But it takes an unGodly amount of luck to do it. It takes constant watch on markets, market shifts, 'next big thing' potential, etc.

If you can make 15 percent return on stocks, you're doing very very well. Invest in the for long term growth, not short term handle pulls on a slot machine.

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by Tide View Post
    Bad idea.

There's more to buying stock than going to the bank and talking to an investment broker and seeing what he or she says.
    true for high risk stocks... but for low risk it is a far more cheaper idea...

Edit: oh jebus... i thought you type don't go to a bank and talk to a broker...

00 TA PWTR, 98 VertTA NBM
    80 TA BLK, 80 Formula NBM

i just set up an account on updown.com to play around

down with the lot lizards blackhawk01's Avatar

Red
    2001 Camaro SS A4

Is there anything wrong with E-Trade? I have an account there

Nothing special
    Nothing special

Not as far as I know. Was just using it as an example.

down with the lot lizards blackhawk01's Avatar

Red
    2001 Camaro SS A4

right on. the thing dont like about trading stocks is that it charges you a fee to buy and sell each set of shares. But i guess its cheaper than hiring a broker..i would imagine at least.

Nothing special
    Nothing special

Well, they've got to make their money somehow. And you're 100 percent right: It IS cheaper than hiring a broker who is going to take a commision off the sale or purchase, as that's how THEY make their money.

I've played the stock market a bit, I'll admit, and still do. I caught the proverbial 'lightning in a bottle' some years ago with Lucent Technologies, and a couple other lucky investments.

But I don't buy and sell a whole bunch. I always tell people invest in what you're interested in. Find a niche, then learn everything about it that you can. Find out who the players are, what those players are up to. Who are the new guys on the block that potentially have something up their sleeve. The reason I say I find something you're interested in is because it's less like 'work' if you have a natural affinity towards it. You're more likely to enjoy the digging and investigating it's going to take to be informed about it. Don't freak and sell at the first sign of a drop in value. Look for trends within THAT stock. Be aware of upcoming press and product releases. It's alot of work, but it's rewarding in that you're learning, and being involved.

Thread Information