Red
    2001 Trans Am

Who has driven a Mach 1?

I want to get an LS1 car but I'm having a hard time finding a good one at a price I can afford at a dealership. So I'm considering a Mach 1 Mustang. Is this a good choice or will I end up regretting it? I havent taken a test drive yet.

Slower Than a 3rd Gen juiced99ws6's Avatar

Mystic Teal
    99 Trans Am & 01 CBR 929

Generally the mach 1s will cost you more but if you find a good deal then they are pretty decent cars, they look nice and its a drivers race between a mach and an LS1 but for future mods and everything the LS1 would be much cheaper to mod/ repair at least with what ive seen with my car versus a freinds mach 1

Red
    2001 Trans Am

I have found a couple good deals on a Mach 1. The thing is I have to buy from a dealership because I have to trade in my car. I havent been able to sell it on my own so I need a dealership and I cant find a good LS1 that I can afford at a dealership yet. I dont know how much longer I can wait so I could basically go now and get a Mach1 or wait and hope to find a LS1 car.

BLACK
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by patriot1136 View Post
    I have found a couple good deals on a Mach 1. The thing is I have to buy from a dealership because I have to trade in my car. I havent been able to sell it on my own so I need a dealership and I cant find a good LS1 that I can afford at a dealership yet. I dont know how much longer I can wait so I could basically go now and get a Mach1 or wait and hope to find a LS1 car.
    Do you have a CarMax dealership anywhere near you? They will make an offer for your car even if you're not buying a car from them. Sure, it'll be a lowball offer, but any dealership is going to make a lowball offer on a trade-in. Plus, with the savings you might get by getting an LS1 from a private seller, you might be money ahead.

2 SS's are better than 1 Jays00ss's Avatar

NBM / Silver
    00 SS / 71 SS Elcamino

My advice to you is don't settle. Wait, Sell your car on your own. (at least you have one to get around) and then once you do, The sky is the limit. You can get a loan at a credit union or bank on your own. Shop around for the best interest rate. Then you will know what you Can really afford, and get the best deal from a private owner.
    Don't rely on the stupid dealerships, You will get a much better deal in the long run. Don't be in a big hurry, there are plenty of nice f-bodys out there.
    Look at my camaro I have now in my profile. I waited almost a year to get it. I bought it from the orginal owner for $14,000 with only 35,000 miles 7 months ago. Dealers around here wanted another 3-4K more for the same type of car.
    I once too was young and always in a hurry to "GET IT NOW" I have wasted thousands of dollars that way and yes I had a nice car at the time, But if I wated a little longer, I would have had a much nicer ride and paid a lot less for it. Just my $.02 worth.
    Last edited by Jays00ss; 08-16-2007 at 09:08 AM.
    2000 SS Camaro Heads, Large cam, Fast 90, 9"w/430's and locker, yada yada yada... you get the picture

1971 SS ElCamino 402 Big Block 550HP

2006 Silverado 2500HD 496 cubic inches of pure muscle

Red
    2001 Trans Am

No you guys are right, I probably should wait and get what I really want which is an LS1 not a Mustang. I'll just have to hope I get lucky and sell my car and find what I want somewhere. I did try carmax but the money they offered was way way too low.

NBM / Silver
    00 SS / 71 SS Elcamino

No you guys are right, I probably should wait and get what I really want which is an LS1 not a Mustang. I'll just have to hope I get lucky and sell my car and find what I want somewhere. I did try carmax but the money they offered was way way too low.
    Try selling your car on your local Craigs List. It's free and there is starting to be a lot of exposure on there. Take some good pictures (a picture is worth a thousand words). and go from there. I have sold 3 cars through craigs list and it didn't cost me a dime. Hope this helps as well.

Red
    2001 Trans Am

yeah thats awesome thanks man i appreciate it. but just so I know an LS1 car is worth the wait and way better than a Mustang right

NBM / Silver
    00 SS / 71 SS Elcamino

yeah thats awesome thanks man i appreciate it. but just so I know an LS1 car is worth the wait and way better than a Mustang right
    I think so, But I have been a Chevy or GM muscle car guy all my life. You can't beat the power the new gen LS1 can deliver. Also if you are going to mod it, Look at the price comparison on LS1 or f-body parts compared to mustang stuff. The LS1 tends to be cheaper.
    Don't get me wrong, I to like the new style mustang (I always loved the 67 fastback mustang) however, all I am trying to get across is don't settle on something you really don't want. There are plenty of nice cars out there. you will regret it later when you see a nice f-body pass you by in your mustang and you wished "I should have waited"

Red
    2001 Trans Am

Yeah the LS1 delivers awesome power plus it is cheap to mod which is good. I think I might just test drive a Mach1 and compare it to the SS I drove last week. But I should probably just wait and get what I really want which is an LS1.

Pewter
    02 Z28

its better if you wait, If I would of waited 4 months I could of had a Corvette thats what I wanted when I was looking for a car, but I got this nice 02 Z28 I really like the Z28 but Im a big Corvette fan, maybe in a few years I will get one. Good luck
    2002 Z28 Auto (3.23 gears)
    Mods
    Lid, UD pulley, Shift Kit, 160 Thermo, Y-pipe, Panhard, TB bypass, Bellow, K&N, Strut Brace, Flowmaster, weight reduction.

Pewter Metallic
    2000 Chevy Camaro Z28

I waited 2 years to find mine...couldnt be any happier...i say u wait and find yourself a nice one

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

A Mach 1 is a very nice car but get a stick if you buy one...ford's AOD tranny really makes the auto sluggish and the redline is lower because the crank is different in the autos. The good thing about the Mach and Cobra stang is that you don't see one on every corner like the GT....plus the 4 valve heads don't hurt either.

Or just wait for a LS1 F-bod...you can find some good deals on 97 vettes too.

...going to the darkside gspfunk's Avatar
    I am/was a Ford guy, but I've never been big on the mod motors. Pushrod motors are the way to go!!

The LS1's respond to mods better and start off w/ more power anyway. The N/A 4v modular motors are rated ~300hp/330tq or something like that. The only way I'd drive one of the New Edge mustangs (99-04) is if it was a 03-04 Cobra. For $1k in mods from stock, you can be sitting near 500rwhp easy.

Wow waiting 2 years to find a LS1? Come up to Michigan and they are all over. I decided I wanted a Camaro Z28 last year and within a month I found my Hugger orange car in perfect condition with 24,000 miles for $8000.00

Bright Red
    1999 Trans Am Ws6

Quote Originally Posted by silent101 View Post
    Wow waiting 2 years to find a LS1? Come up to Michigan and they are all over. I decided I wanted a Camaro Z28 last year and within a month I found my Hugger orange car in perfect condition with 24,000 miles for $8000.00
    What the hell? That is not even trade in value. Must be a lemon. I had to drive four hours one way to get my car.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Trans Am WS6

Don't settle for a Mach I. They aren't all they are cracked up to be. I'm driving a '02 WS6, pretty much stock except for a lid and tb bypass. I raced a Mach I from about 45mph and smoked him. Three times he wanted to go and all three times i killed him. My advice is to keep looking for an LS1. Someone mentioned a vette above. I wouldn't go that route either. Had a C6 try me the other night from a 40 roll. That was a drivers race. I got the jump and his nose was at my rear bumper, but up to 120 till we shut it down, he couldn't catch me. Pretty even which surprised me, but I was tickled pink when it was all over. Go with the LS1. You won't be sorry.

Thread Information