Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

98 Formula
    06 duramax

who has direct tv?

My cable company has pissed me off for the last time. I'm looking into getting a dish. Direct tv looks better than dish network on paper. Wondering who has it and if you guys like it. I'll still have to use the cable company for broadband since there's no dsl carriers out here but at least I won't have to deal with their non-nfl network carrying ass anymore. Time Warner sucks.

2002 CETA 6M COUPE

I have it. Used to work for them too. Great service. Decent prices. Digital reception. Wouldn't go back to cable mate. Try it. The contract sucks quite a bit, but it's heaps better than cable. In FL, when hurricanes strike, I have my service up faster than my neighbours.

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

My parents just got direct tv and my sis has it too...they seem to like it. When my parents signed up they got the super fan package for like $80...it's regularly around $300 for all the NFL games in HD. So yea I was over there every sunday watching the skinz lose They offer insane deals when you first sign up.

Black
    2001 Firebird TransAm WS6

i have had direct TV for 2 years (because i had no other option, really) and hated it. in my opinion, digital cable is much much better

1997 Grand Cherokee
    1999 Firebird.

I have always had cable, BUT, I used to steal Dish Network/Direct TV back when it was soooo easy to do it. I bought a dish, receiver, card, and a card programer. Here's what I found......having a dish is just as good as cable EXCEPT for when the wind blows hard, it rains, or it snows. Then you loose the signal all the damn time! All the time. It suuuucked. Pretty much the only reason I've kept cable all these years. Just my .02

HERE WE GO STEELERS!!! michaelinchains's Avatar

black
    `99 GTP/`98 formy(sold)

we switched from cable to direct tv 2 years ago & i recommend it.we get more hi-def channels than cable or dish,direct tv offers killer sports packages(we get the sunday tix every year),actually our service almost never gets interrupted..& if it does it regains a signal quick.so far the only complaint from us is the price of their hi-def dvr,which we dont have

2016 Silverado Z71
    1999 Camaro SS #1437

I like my cable, sure it has it's goods & bad's but i'm staying away from the dish. You should have made this a poll.

Black
    00 SS Vert#0540/ 14 GMC

Direct TV here. Switched from dish network, I have the NFL package, and I got rid of time warner all together. I ended up getting broadband from Verizon for my internet.

Red
    1999 Pontiac TransAm

Got it and love it. We hardly ever lose connection even with the rain/storms here. ?? I understand why that would be a problem, we just are lucky I guess. We will NOT go back to cable! It's a lot cheaper, you get more channels, and it doesn't "go out" like the cable here seems to do. We've had it for 6 or 7 years.

Blue
    72 Chevelle, 2001 SS

Got it here and love it too! I always heard horror stories of how u constantly lose reception and such but so far, in this bad Iowa winter, I have yet to lose signal even once. Made it through 2 blizzards so far. I highly recomment it, and if you have an HDTV, its your only choice

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by nitrox28 View Post
    I have always had cable, BUT, I used to steal Dish Network/Direct TV back when it was soooo easy to do it. I bought a dish, receiver, card, and a card programer. Here's what I found......having a dish is just as good as cable EXCEPT for when the wind blows hard, it rains, or it snows. Then you loose the signal all the damn time! All the time. It suuuucked. Pretty much the only reason I've kept cable all these years. Just my .02
    Thanks for the replies everyone. The reception issue is something that concerned me but it's sort of countered by the fact that for a couple months straight time warner would update their cable at 1am and my cable here would go down at 1am every single night. I was pissed and said something but was told there's nothing they could do about it.

Quote Originally Posted by michaelinchains View Post
    we switched from cable to direct tv 2 years ago & i recommend it.we get more hi-def channels than cable or dish,direct tv offers killer sports packages(we get the sunday tix every year),actually our service almost never gets interrupted..& if it does it regains a signal quick.so far the only complaint from us is the price of their hi-def dvr,which we dont have
    Right now they're doing a free hd/dvr upgrade. That's the only way I would do the switch is if I got the hd/dvr. The whole equipment end of it is what I need to call them and talk about. The only equipment I could find on the site says it was free so does that mean I get the hd/dvr box for free and what about if I want another one for a second room? It says 4 room installation free which I assume is running wire to 4 different rooms but how much are they willing to do? Will they go under the house to do it?

Quote Originally Posted by doberman 152 View Post
    I like my cable, sure it has it's goods & bad's but i'm staying away from the dish. You should have made this a poll.
    I've always felt the same way. Cable is cool and it doesn't seem to have the headaches the dishes have but TW sucks balls and has really pissed me off for the last time. I have to do something and the only other cable company out here (insight) only offers a basic package for some reason which has to change soon because everythings going digital next month.

Quote Originally Posted by HASTINGSRJ View Post
    Direct TV here. Switched from dish network, I have the NFL package, and I got rid of time warner all together. I ended up getting broadband from Verizon for my internet.
    Broadband is my main problem out here. I live quite a ways from town and no one offers dsl out here. I've talked to ATT and I'm on a waiting list but that'll probably be years before they get it out here. I need to physically call verizon because they can't find my address through the automated deal at their site.

Black
    00 SS Vert#0540/ 14 GMC

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    Broadband is my main problem out here. I live quite a ways from town and no one offers dsl out here. I've talked to ATT and I'm on a waiting list but that'll probably be years before they get it out here. I need to physically call verizon because they can't find my address through the automated deal at their site.
    with verizon's nation wide calling plan, I dont roam, and I can go anywhere with my broadband card. Hell I am sitting inside a concrete building at work right now!!!! And its pretty fast...

98 Formula
    06 duramax

with verizon's nation wide calling plan, I dont roam, and I can go anywhere with my broadband card. Hell I am sitting inside a concrete building at work right now!!!! And its pretty fast...
    we had verizon as a cell carrier and I constantly dropped calls here at the house. We got out of the contract because we're considered on the fringe of their coverage area. Went with ATT and haven't dropped a call since. ATT has a satellite plan but those are way more expensive than my cable connection I have now.

Black
    00 SS Vert#0540/ 14 GMC

ahh, I see. I had that problem with Sprint. They were terrible. Now here in NC I get coverage everywhere, even way out in the middle of no where.....

SOM
    2002 WS6 M6 - 461hp 406tq

I used to lose reception with Direct TV constantly. Then I dumped the HD package and it was fine after that. I still have to go outside and wipe the snow off of it depenging on how the wind is blowing, but overall the service is good.

I would still prefer cable because it's very easy to just hook it up without paying.

White
    01 SS Vert

I was thinking of doing the same thing....how much is the Verizon broadband? Do you pay a flat rate, or is it dependent on the amount you use it?

Red
    98 Formula /93 Z28

I had Direct TV for about 3 years. Switched to Dish Network about 6 months ago. They are pretty much both the same and IMO both are better than cable. IMO the only thing Direct TV has over Dish is that they have the NFL package, but I don't need it due to my team being the Dolphins and I live in Florida and all the games are televised. Dish has Pay Per View movies in full Blu-Ray quality which Dirct TV does not. Satelite reception rarely goes out and as someone said earlier when we had hurricanes the dish was back up as soon as power was back. For one hurricane we still had cable and had no service for like 3 weeks after the storm. Cable sucks.

Black
    00 SS Vert#0540/ 14 GMC

Quote Originally Posted by 01 SS Vert View Post
    I was thinking of doing the same thing....how much is the Verizon broadband? Do you pay a flat rate, or is it dependent on the amount you use it?
    I pay $150.00 with my cell phone. If you watch a lot of youtube vids, you will want to get the highest package they have. I guess when you use a lot of bandwith they will charge you for it.

black black black
    77 swb

I am not sure about the others, but DirecTv will resubscribe you to sports packages the next year UNLESS you call and cancel it before it starts. That should be illegal IMO but it is a good product otherwise.

Cable sucks balls, at least it did in Portland. Have not had experience with cable in Vegas.

Black
    00 SS Vert#0540/ 14 GMC

well looks like I will be paying for the package next year again....doesnt it get cheaper if you re-new it?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information