Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who burns wood?

SS: NBM, tan top
    1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

Who burns wood?

Just curious what kind of stoves ya got, how much wood you go through per year, how you harvest it, what kind of trees etc...

I just started burning this year with a nice fireplace wood stove insert as my house didn't really permit for a freestanding one.

Seeing how long 3 cord can get me in a north east winter... I know it won't be enough!

Here's the stove i got

http://www.osburn-mfg.com/product.as...egoId=7&Id=510
    Last edited by ss~zoso~ss; 12-14-2010 at 02:04 PM.

1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

oh, and I got the fire wood by dropping trees earlier in the year at friend's houses and splitting all by hand

Red oak, white oak, maple, and birch is primarily what I got
    Last edited by ss~zoso~ss; 12-13-2010 at 05:20 PM.

wood pellets here

Giant Dicks Car Club Zapper2003's Avatar

2005 Ram
    1978 Firebird

when it's not broke down, Derek.

Quote Originally Posted by Zapper2003 View Post
    when it's not broke down, Derek.
    Yeah, Its getting pretty cold in here. lol It's 48 in my bedroom

Bright Red
    1999 Trans Am Ws6

Quote Originally Posted by Nhra Firebird View Post
    Yeah, Its getting pretty cold in here. lol It's 48 in my bedroom

I've slept in colder...

both red
    1998 Z28 - 1991 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by ss~zoso~ss View Post
    Just curious what kind of stoves ya got, how much wood you go through per year, how you harvest it, what kind of trees etc...

I just started burning this year with a nice fireplace wood stove insert as my house didn't really permit for a freestanding one.

Seeing how long 3 chord can get me in a north east winter... I know it won't be enough!

Here's the stove i got

http://www.osburn-mfg.com/product.as...egoId=7&Id=510
    just started this year - and we have a decent size house (2000 sq ft) - we alway kept it around 67 in the house - but now its 78 - and almost too hot. i am i mi - and i think i will go through about 4 chords this year - remember to tell you insurance dude - we did and he was kinda shocked - but we are covered - most dont, and if there is a problem, you are on your own (no coverage) - a buddies house fried to the ground on electrical crap... just saying - but very happy overall - oh and I got 3 chords delivered of seasoned wood for 125.00 a chord.

Red
    2002 Camaro SS

We have an Earth Stove... put it in back in '94, not sure if they're still in business anymore, it's a standalone wood stove, not pellets. Sucker burns hot as hell.

Run mostly pallet wood in it anymore... we have a good supply of nice hardwood (not Chinese wood) pallets, they are nice and dry and burn hot. Most of the pallets are 4'x10', and can get many days out of each.

There is very little buildup in the chimney and it runs just about 24x7 from October to April. We use some wood from trees we take down around the property, but do it less and less due to the amount of work, having to store the wood while it dries, and the mess it makes coming through the house.

My cousin's husband actually welded together an enormous stove for his shop that will take a 4x4 pallet without cutting it up. LOL... Heats his shop in Northern NJ all winter with it.

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

FWIW, it's a "cord" of wood, which is a stacked pile 8' long x 4' wide x 4' high or 128 cubic feet.

A "chord" can be a variety of things including 3 or more notes played together.

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

My dad and I have burned wood since I can remember. If a cord is 8x4x4, well I suppose we went through 3-4 of those a year.

Most of it's chinese elm, getting rid of the crap trees. I think he likes walnut the best. Real hard and good burning wood. But we'll cut whatever is a available. We use a splitter last couple of years, man that makes it slick. I love using that thing. Cut up a cord in a couple hours couple weekends ago.

Our stove in the basement is about 5x4x4 and the heat from wood is amazing. We got another in the garage...SO NICE to have. 3x2.5x2.5 i'd imagine.

I'll post pics sometime of our log pile and setup if you want... I should be back for xmas.

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by 67CamaroRSSS View Post
    FWIW, it's a "cord" of wood, which is a stacked pile 8' long x 4' wide x 4' high or 128 cubic feet.

Funny true story to tell here. I was having a crazy fire one night and the cops showed up. They approached me and did all the (Name, ID, etc...) I asked what the problem was and they told me that they had reason to believe that I stole a cord of wood. After further talking and counter spy type shit on them, I found out that I stole a cord of wood in about 10 minutes and loaded it all into a S10 Good luck having one person fit a cord of wood into the bed of a S10 in 10 minutes

After they realized it wasn't me, they left. The End
    ┌∩┐(◕_◕)┌∩┐

Man: The Mods you are fighting,
    they are the biggest Men I have ever seen. I
    wouldn't want to fight them!

Me: That is why no one will remember your name!

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

Pssh...i could do that.

Quote Originally Posted by Smkn_TA View Post
    I've slept in colder...
    I've sleep in colder temps a few times before... We went to my buddies camp once and couldn't get the heater working... I think the inside of the camp was in the 20's. I know the next day it was warmer outside then it was in the camp.

1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

Quote Originally Posted by allbaugh_04 View Post
    I'll post pics sometime of our log pile and setup if you want... I should be back for xmas.
    Why, yes I would very much like to see a picture of your wood.

both red
    1998 Z28 - 1991 Z28

Yeah... Maybee more 6 string action and less work would get the spellchecker workin better... Heating the house on wood for the first year and working tons of hours are killin me...
    but no gripes... got the fire workin and found out the gas furnace was putting out 9 ppm of CO2 in the regesters, and the tester just went south last month. Got lucky for a change. Can you say sleepy sleepy...

midnight blue
    2000 trans am

Start calling you the Grammer Ranger!!!

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

Quote Originally Posted by JB454 View Post
    Yeah... Maybee more 6 string action and less work would get the spellchecker workin better... Heating the house on wood for the first year and working tons of hours are killin me...
    but no gripes... got the fire workin and found out the gas furnace was putting out 9 ppm of CO2 in the regesters, and the tester just went south last month. Got lucky for a change. Can you say sleepy sleepy...
    Spell check would not have worked in this instance as both cord and chord are properly spelled words but with different meanings.

Quote Originally Posted by bluehawk2000 View Post
    Start calling you the Grammer Ranger!!!
    Just trying to bring enlightment when and where I can.

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

I've got a fire going right now. We just pick up a truck bed full about twice per winter

As a matter of fact, it's going pretty good and I might have to open the door for a bit to cool it off in here... It's 74 in here and only 53 outside

Tan
    Lexus SC400

I don't burn wood I sport wood.. With that being said the other half appreciates..

Laying pipe is what this thread should be about... Ooooops my bad off topic again..

both red
    1998 Z28 - 1991 Z28

Spell check would not have worked in this instance as both cord and chord are properly spelled words but with different meanings.
    Got it... The 1st portion of that thread was more of a joke... The second was not. As said - I am aware of what a chord is (ie G or A minor) and what a cord is (ie why my pipes and kids are not frozen while my furnace is shot).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information