Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

What's Your Worst Driving Experience??

When I was 17, I had just bought my first car (1985 Pontiac Sunbird). Until then I had been driving my father’s very first new car, which was a 1994 Grand Am GT. Well my g/f at the time was over and we fell asleep watching a movie together. We woke up in a frantic at 2:30AM and I had to rush her home before she got into major trouble. She lived about 20 min from the house. On the way back home, I woke up (yes, woke up while driving!) and was in the median in-between N & S bounds on I-65 going about 75 in the grass. About a ½ mile ahead was an overpass! My immediate reaction was to swerve to get back into the e-way and when I did, I over-steered it and started to go head-on into the guardrail on the right side of the e-way. So, I turned it hard left to avoid that and ended up doing a full 360 in the middle of the e-way. I ended up facing the opposite direction of traffic after I slammed into the wall on the opposing side and drifted back into the grass.

I hitch hiked home where my mother greeted me at 3:30AM. All I could remember is that my dad was going to beat my ass silly when he got a hold of me. He worked midnights and was called when I got home. On his way home he saw the car and pulled over. It was already identified as abandoned and was being towed.

The car had about 3,000 miles on it.

End result: I was OK. The car had $8,000 worth of body damage and the insurance company did not total it, but fixed it. It never drove the same. My dad never said a word to me other than “Well the car can be fixed. The fact you are OK is what is important”. Wow.

Black
    1999 Camaro Z28

I've been lucky so far. Only mishap I had was in my old stang. Some douche in a truck was riding my ass so I floored it and he tried to pass me and I stayed in it (because I'm 19 and invincible) and I couldn't see the sharp curve at night and went off in the grass almost hit a tree too. But here I am. Live and learn.

NBM
    2002 z28 camaro

My worst is:
    Everytime I get in my wife's 1997 Nissan Sentra GXE with a 1.6L 115 hp automatic.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Only accident I have ever had was at the age of 16. I wasn't accustomed to city driving and while trying to find the cinema I took a left turn. Well, there was a separate turning lane to go left and a car was coming up from behind in that lane as I turned across their path.

The other car hit my front fender and driver door area, and shoved me across the intersection. I had four friends in the car and it scared the hell out of me -- thankfully no injuries in either vehicle. I had to pull the fender out a bit for the tire to clear and did the same for the other person's vehicle. We were both able to drive from the scene, after the police came and issued me a citation.

PEWTER
    2001 TRANS AM WS6

7 tickets all at once (dont ask its a long story)
    improper passing
    failure to yeild to emergency vehicle
    reckless
    careless
    speeding in exess of 45 mph over the limit (no raidar realy 110 in a 25)
    failure to wear seatbelt
    hazzardus tires

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

some asshole put a curve infront of me while i was going 70mph up a back road...didn't end well

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

Quote Originally Posted by DIRTY JERZY View Post
    improper passing
    reckless
    careless
    failure to wear seatbelt
    hazzardus tires
    holy shit balls! reminds me of that scene from LiarLiar

2011 Prius

improper passing
    reckless
    careless
    failure to wear seatbelt
    hazzardus tires
    How much is your insuarce?

PEWTER
    2001 TRANS AM WS6

Ok this happened when I was 18 with my sc 89 formula my insurance just came down last year but for 7 years it was between 6000 and 8000 a year for the first two years it was close to 7 grand to drive a brand new hunday elantra then when that pos was paid for I traded it in on my 01 ws6 ta and I paid from a little over 8 to almost 6 grand a year for 5 years also not all of the tickets stuck I mean come on reckless and careless pick one jerks

NBM
    2002 z28 camaro

Ok this happened when I was 18 with my sc 89 formula my insurance just came down last year but for 7 years it was between 6000 and 8000 a year for the first two years it was close to 7 grand to drive a brand new hunday elantra then when that pos was paid for I traded it in on my 01 ws6 ta and I paid from a little over 8 to almost 6 grand a year for 5 years also not all of the tickets stuck I mean come on reckless and careless pick one jerks
    WOW!!! And I bitch for paying 150 a month for 4 vehicles and renters insurance!

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

26hrs straight, only stopping 3 times for fuel, no headlights, Hood rats were hostile, fronting, shooting their gats at us, blowing stuff up along the cruise, damn Philly can be tough, oh wait that was in Iraq.....

PEWTER
    2001 TRANS AM WS6

yeah I dont know anyone who has paid as much as I have oh and now it is 2472 for the year

NBM
    2002 z28 camaro

yeah I dont know anyone who has paid as much as I have oh and now it is 2472 for the year
    damn is that full coverage? That is still high for 1 car

PEWTER
    2001 TRANS AM WS6

yes full coverage and when you compair what I did pay and what I pay now its a differance of about 6000

NBM
    2002 z28 camaro

yes full coverage and when you compair what I did pay and what I pay now its a differance of about 6000
    have you looked into getting a beater to use as your main car to get the insurance cheaper?

2011 Prius

I pay $150 a month with Geico, Allsate is cheaper ($69 a month, both basic) I am switching there, but I am at the moment looking at other cars (Newer,better DD). Heres what does not make since.

2009 Pontiac G8 GT $170 Full Coverage
    2009 VW Jette Sport Wagon TDi $220 Full Coverage WTF?
    2006 Pontiac GTO 6-Speed $235 Full Coverage
    2003 Corvette Zo6 $230 Full Coverage
    2004 Corvette 6-Speed $210 Full Coverage

There all around the same price. Either by what the dealler lets them go for in this economy or what a low milage mint goes for. So insuarce will be the deciding factor. The G8 GT and the VW I think will be the smart choice for a DD, since there new with warranty. I also did the math, and my gas will be cut in half with the Jetta, plus I can put allot of shit in that thing. I did look at an 01 Porsche 911, but shitted a brick when the insuarce came back. For a refference, my Trans Am will be $230 a month full coverage. I am 18 and can't justify paying that for an 11 year old car. But I can't afford to loose it...

Here's the WTF momment. It is cheaper for me to insure two cars. If I take my old beater that I sold to my mom. It's a 1997 Acura TL 3.2L, still in both our names. I put that as my daily driver with 14,000 miles annually a year and the other as pleasure rides, with 8,000 miles a year (what I normally drive). My insuarce goes down an average off $30 a month, WTF?

I know many of you know I have a 1963 Falcon, but I don't have it insured any more, since it sits in my garage and only gets driven to the end of the street once and a while to keep every thing moving.

PEWTER
    2001 TRANS AM WS6

I have looked into adding a 94 civic as the main car but the price went up

2011 Prius

I have looked into adding a 94 civic as the main car but the price went up
    Wow, mine goes down, make sure you put what ever is on fulll coverage as pleasure. Thats what I plain to do, even though I will drive it daily.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Just a little insurance FYI --

I realize that no one wants to pay a higher premium, but you also have to consider what you are getting. A "liability" policy only pays out to someone that you injure in an accident. It does nothing to protect you if you suffer injuries in an accident. Most policies have a medpay portion, but the coverage is fairly low. Obviously, so long as you have decent health care coverage through your employment, this may not be an issue.

However, the coverage that really provides protection to you is "uninsured" and "underinsured" motorist coverage. Think of how many people are out there driving around on their minimum required coverage plan -- here in PA, that equates to $15,000 in coverage per person, $30,000 total per accident. If one of these people take you out in an accident, you will receive a whopping $15,000.

By adding underinsured coverage, you can then look to your own policy to provide compensation for injuries sustained in an accident. Likewise, if you are injured by someone without insurance, then uninsured coverage takes effect. Here, I can match my uninsured and underinsured coverage with my liability limits of $100,000/$300,000.

We also have stacking, which when opted for allows coverages on multiple vehicles to be "stacked". I have 6 vehicles insured and can therefore stack to protect myself up to $600,000. Not a bad idea for the little bit more it costs me each month. All it takes is one little accident to screw you for life.

And... don't even get me started on the limited tort crap that is now offered.

Silver
    2005 Toyota Corolla (DD)

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Just a little insurance FYI --

I realize that no one wants to pay a higher premium, but you also have to consider what you are getting. A "liability" policy only pays out to someone that you injure in an accident. It does nothing to protect you if you suffer injuries in an accident. Most policies have a medpay portion, but the coverage is fairly low. Obviously, so long as you have decent health care coverage through your employment, this may not be an issue.

However, the coverage that really provides protection to you is "uninsured" and "underinsured" motorist coverage. Think of how many people are out there driving around on their minimum required coverage plan -- here in PA, that equates to $15,000 in coverage per person, $30,000 total per accident. If one of these people take you out in an accident, you will receive a whopping $15,000.

By adding underinsured coverage, you can then look to your own policy to provide compensation for injuries sustained in an accident. Likewise, if you are injured by someone without insurance, then uninsured coverage takes effect. Here, I can match my uninsured and underinsured coverage with my liability limits of $100,000/$300,000.

We also have stacking, which when opted for allows coverages on multiple vehicles to be "stacked". I have 6 vehicles insured and can therefore stack to protect myself up to $600,000. Not a bad idea for the little bit more it costs me each month. All it takes is one little accident to screw you for life.

And... don't even get me started on the limited tort crap that is now offered.
    You sound pretty knowlegable about car insurance. Can you explain what "stacked" means? I just set up insurance in FL on the Corolla (full coverage) and the Explorer (liability) and elected to have it stacked- i think at 300,000.

What am I actually paying for? Can you give a scenario? Also, is this covering uninsured/underinsured motorists?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information