Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Whats the easiest/best way to learn guitar?

I really want to learn how to play guitar, mostly just metal but i need to learn how to play first. Any of you that play guitar know of any learning programs for the PC or books to buy? Do those "learn guitar in 24 hours" things work any good?

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Guitar Hero 2

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

Find a teacher and engage in lots of practice. It takes dedication, patience and LOTS OF PRACTICE.....

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by 67CamaroRSSS View Post
    Find a teacher and engage in lots of practice. It takes dedication, patience and LOTS OF PRACTICE.....
    true.
    Unfortunately it's one of those things where you just have to practice a lot. Just set aside a part of each day to practice and you'll be playing stuff in no time. I would find a good teacher that plays the same type of music you want to learn. Check out some of your local bands. Most of those guys probably give lessons somewhere.

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

I've been playing drums for 40 years. I remember my 1st teacher. He showed me how to hold the stick properly (fulcrum point, rebound, difference between traditional and match grip, all that good stuff) and told me "here's the stroke" (hits drum). Now go do that 1 million times then come back. I studied under him for 2 years.

how hard is it to play stuff like Nile, Cannibal Corpse etc etc? I think it would be very difficult to play that fast, i dont even think my fingers can move that fast, i dont know how they do it. I saw a cannibal corpse concert and they go as fast as possible for over an hour on stage.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ATCharming's Avatar

Silver
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    true.
    Unfortunately it's one of those things where you just have to practice a lot. Just set aside a part of each day to practice and you'll be playing stuff in no time. I would find a good teacher that plays the same type of music you want to learn. Check out some of your local bands. Most of those guys probably give lessons somewhere.
    im sorry, not flamin u or anything, but to me it seems like all guys in local bands suck. around here at least. all our bands are absolutely horrible and ive NEVER had a band in my town with ANY talent at all. i tried to start a band once, cuz i DO have talent, but just got tired of it.

to mike, the first thing is, i dont know of any "learn how to play guitar programs" that work. the best way to learn IS to practice. But i bet ur tired of hearing that. so, ill give u a very valuable practicing tip.
    aside from learning all the technical bullshit (which IS important, i just refer to it as bullshit cuz most guys just study their asses off, learning scales and chords, and never have any feel or emotion in their playing, which is the most important part), learn how to just play... straight from u, without planning out the song, or thinking of what scale or chord ur gonna use next. just do what feels right.

now, what i just said isnt going to help u THAT much, cuz i wasnt specific or not. i dont know what level of a player u r right now, so please dont get offended if i try teachin u sumthing u dont know, etc.

if you are mostly talking about playing leads/solos etc, the best way to get good at spontaneously coming up with a solo is to:
    pick a favorite song with a relatively slow tempo. for example, metallica's fade to black.
    then, loop the song over and over again. while playing, figure out what key its in, (fade to black is B minor i believe. . . its been a while. B or E minor. almost the same thing) and just start playing notes from the B minor pentatonic scale (this might be over ur head, idk. let me know). play slow, fast, whatever. dont just move up and down the scale, play them in any order u like... learn little patterns. (if you are familiar with pentatonic scales, ill find u a couple links to note patterns that u can use in any key, that you will use forever)

just play from the heart man. try to play a solo throughout the WHOLE song. vocals parts, drum breaks, whatever. learn to be flexible in the song. youll see that certain types of leads work in certain parts of the song, and not in others. recognizing what is going to sound good with the background music is one of the most important things.

When playing a lead, the background music is JUST as important. if the rythm section or chord progression sucks, your lead is gong to sound like shit.

recognizing the song, and figuring out what sounds good where is key. if the song gets slower, dont just keep shredding. bend a note, hold it, give it some vibrato, etc. song gets faster, solo faster. start shreddin

playing what u FEEL is wayyyyy more important than knowing technical scales and arpeggios.

Now, if ur thinkin, "why listen to a 16 year old", and u want, i can upload some of my music on my comp and u can tell that i know what im talkin about

i dont know if i helped much, but thats the best i could do for now, without knowing ur skill level, specific style, and what exactly u wanna know

Compulsive F bomb dropper sgt0704's Avatar

silver
    1998 Z28

i'm in the process of learning. been at it for about 8 months now. and you have to practice. and you can't "learn to play in 24 hrs." freeguitarvideos.com is really cool. the guys name is Peter Vogl. he looks like a douche, but he breaks everything down, and teaches some cool licks, chord progressions, etc...

some of the videos you can save, some you can't.

also ultimate-guitar.com has some cool tabs. probably most of what you're looking for.

you can also find things for finger drills, and pick drills.

again you have to practice.

Silver
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Hawk View Post
    how hard is it to play stuff like Nile, Cannibal Corpse etc etc? I think it would be very difficult to play that fast, i dont even think my fingers can move that fast, i dont know how they do it. I saw a cannibal corpse concert and they go as fast as possible for over an hour on stage.

ohhhh so thats ur style... hmm... emotion in playing wont get u as far with that type of music, however ud sound like a much better guitar player with feeling than with speed.

everyone always says to work on the left hand the most, cuz it needs to move the fastest, and its more important... BULLSHIT!!!

work on your right hand. rythm is more important than crazy leads. having skill only with your left hand will do u no good. TRUST ME ON THIS.
    if ur right hand cant keep up with ur left, ur going to suck. if ur left cant keep up with ur right, then dont worry about it. thats kinda how it will always be.

OH and just to let u know, on leads, REVERB/DELAY will make u sound 10000000 times better, guaranteed. just dont overdo it.

Silver
    2000 Camaro SS

i will find a software program that ALL of you will absolutely love. i forgot what its called, so give me some time to search for it, but its the ultimate program. its not gonna teach u how to play guitar, but it is the ultimate practicing tool.

just hold on

cool thanks guys i appreciate the info

white
    90 Mustang 5.0

get the esteban tape.lol

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

I would suggest getting a book that contains chords and scales. Try to learn the most common chords first. Then go with dvd lessons or a teacher. It takes alot of patience and practice but remember thats half the fun. Those guys in Cannibal Corpse, Deicide etc. have been playing so long that they have built up the endurance to play fast for a long time. Kind of like the endurance AT has built up from wacking off so much J/K!!!! LOL

Silver
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by BREAKxNECKxSPEED View Post
    I would suggest getting a book that contains chords and scales. Try to learn the most common chords first. Then go with dvd lessons or a teacher. It takes alot of patience and practice but remember thats half the fun. Those guys in Cannibal Corpse, Deicide etc. have been playing so long that they have built up the endurance to play fast for a long time. Kind of like the endurance AT has built up from wacking off so much J/K!!!! LOL
    WHAT>!>?!?!? lmao what does this have to do with me hahahaha

AND guitar, plus piano haha. i guess im just good w. my hands

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

Just playin bro LOL!!

Compulsive F bomb dropper sgt0704's Avatar

silver
    1998 Z28

what kind of guitar do you have? some "package deals" come with a dvd or something that includes the major notes/chords...

Black
    1999 Trans Am

I've been playing about 8 years now and I went through a teacher, and learned all the crap (scales, keys, etc) but a few of my friends have been playing about the same of time as me and taught themselves, simply by finding songs they like and looking up chords and tabs on the internet and practicing them alot. Some of them are nearly as good as me with accuracy and rhythm. Only thing I really got on them is being able to improvise for solos and stuff, but most of them can copy someone elses solo just as good as I can.

Silver
    2000 Camaro SS

http://www.guitar-pro.com/en/index.php?pg=download

check that program out. if ur computer literate, ull be able to figure it out in no time.

download the program, THEN search the web for "guitar pro" files of the songs you want. ppl have made MIDI files of almost every song made, and tabbed it out. in the program, it plays the song with every note of every instrument tabbed out. u can slow it down, speed it up, or loop a certain section so u can play it over and over again until u learn it.

thats my favorite way of learning someone elses song. this is also a great practicing tool, cuz u can get a song u like, turn off the LEAD guitar track, turn off the vocal track (just a midi sound effect anyway), and just have the rythm, bass, drums, etc going and u can loop a section u like, and play a 30 minute solo if ud like. i used to do that shit for hours.

best way IMO to learn to improvise

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

Thats pretty awsome AT!! I am gonna try that out myself. How long does the trial version last??

Silver
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by BREAKxNECKxSPEED View Post
    Thats pretty awsome AT!! I am gonna try that out myself. How long does the trial version last??
    it says like 30 days or sumthin like that, but it NEVER told me that i couldnt use it anymore

just after ur trial is up, u open the program and it goes "ur trial version is up, would u like to download the full version" say "no" or "later" or w.e. that option is, and u can go about using the software again hahaha

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information