Black
    99 Z-28

What would you do

I just got laid off from my job citing the down ward spiral of our economy. Here is the catch I worked in the entertainment industry and it has been the busiest that it has been since I started over two years ago. My particular job is a remote camera technician and telescopic crane tech. (Think high wide and stupid camera shots.) Anyways I worked for a company on a retainer I would tech there equipment in exchange I would only work for them as well they let us work at the shop for a nominal wage. We would get assigned to different tv shows, movies, whatever... By the way you have to be in the union to do what I do, which I am... Back to being busy, it has been so busy that we have been short on tech's so they have been sending out a guy who worked at the company who is not a union guy so he can start to get his days. You need 30 in a year. Just this past weekend there was a four day job in Palm Spring I did not get assigned, yet the new guy got. I got laid off on Monday the day they got back.

Do you guys think I should get the union involved? I know they lied to me, so do you think I could have any legal bias for a lawsuit?

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 T/A Firehawk M6

can they prove economic hardship on the part of the company? Is the company public? If so all their finances are public domain and you can find out what their balance sheets look like. If they are feeding you a line then your termination needs to be based on your performance with the company or due to violation of policy. In either event you would have needed to have been informed of your infringement or performance issues prior to the company taking action against you. I'm sure your union has rules as far as the hiring and firing of employees, union employees are notoriously difficult to dismiss. In any event I would involve the local union rep to see what recourse you have with the company. The downside being that you might not be tempted to use them as a reference at any future jobs you may have since you did rock the boat, albeit within the rules but employers typically still look down on that. Should you find recourse that allows you to keep your job they would naturally think twice about trying to let you go again. They would also probably be more likely to try and dump work nobody wants on you as well as "have it out for you" If the person in question has a vindictive streak. In such situations unions often offer peer mediation and worker protection against unfair treatment in which case the offending superior would be in shit for trying to get revenge on you. In any event you should be covered..... if all else fails states usually have worker protection laws that prevent the indiscriminate firing of employees without reason. In your case they cite the failing economy which in CA still remains true while the rest of the country is recovering CA is suffering through continued job losses and rising taxes with dwindling consumer spending. The state is really in a jam and while you may be getting a lot of work it doesn't necessarily mean that the company is suddenly in a fine financial ship. Again this goes back to my first point about the company financial situation. The rest of my post is nearly meaningless if their financial situation is indeed poor and they can prove it. I'm assuming that with two years time you are eligible for unemployment protection once your current employment ends. I'd say get to work read your union contract see what protections you have and at least speak to your union rep. You don't have much to lose.

Black
    99 Z-28

One problem is that is a private company. Also when I get assigned to jobs I go onto the productions payroll so they don't pay me. We also have one guy who owns his own business and only goes out on tech jobs. They recently fired my brother who is taking legal action against them my being laid off I belive is strictly retribution for his actions.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 T/A Firehawk M6

well there's a hook. If you can make a case out of it they would be in a fine legal jam. again speak to the union rep that's why you pay your dues. I'm not a big fan of unions but if you are in one by all means take advantage of the money you spend on it.

Thread Information