• 2005-? Base Corvette

5 19.23%
  • Economic new car

2 7.69%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Red
    2000 Camaro SS #3574 A4

What Should I do?

Well, I'm going to graduate from college in a year or so, and my 2000 SS is starting to show its age. I bought the car in January of 2006 with 45K miles and have driven it up to 76K since then. Now that I might be moving on to a better paying job and actually have time to make money, I'm considering selling my Camaro and buying a different, newer car. I've also always hated that my car is an auto, as I want a manual. My next car will be a manual no matter what. Oh, and I've also wanted a Corvette since I was 7. So, here are my options Keep in mind this won't be happening for another year or two.

1. Keep my 2000 SS and clean it up. Replace worn parts, get a repaint, freshen up the car, maybe get a super charger.

2. 2002-04 Corvette Z06.

3. 2005-? base Corvette.

4. Brand new car that gets good gas mileage and saves me money on insurance and gas.

I'm gonna put a poll up. Vote and let me know what you guys think.

Red
    2000 Camaro SS #3574 A4

I also have a perfect driving record, 3.7 GPA and should have a pretty decent credit score. So I'm hoping that'll help with insurance and getting a decent loan.

BANGIN GEARS>STAB N STEER BLK2KSS's Avatar

TRIPLE BLACK
    2000 CAMARO SS M6 #2100

I say get the 02-04 z06 since you have always wanted a vette. Maybe the base c6 too but I just really like the c5 z06 myself. I also don’t think the economy car should even be an option. If you don’t get something to fill the void of the SS you will most likely regret it. Just my $.02 though.

Red
    2000 Camaro SS #3574 A4

I dunno, I love the interiors on the C6 vettes. The C5 interiors are a bit dated. And buying a C5 I'm worried I'd have some problems with the car showing its age like my Camaro. But then again, so Corvettes get creaks and rattles like Camaros?

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Do you have any college loans/debt now?

light pewter metallic
    1999 z28

76k isn't exactly old and beaten up.

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    Like this point.
    Quote Originally Posted by pewterz55 View Post
    76k isn't exactly old and beaten up.
    This one as well.

Also, how's your home ownership coming?

light pewter metallic
    1999 z28

my vote goes to the Z06 because they are sweet, but depending on your financial situation stayin with the ls1 is in close second.

Light Pewter Metallic
    2001 Camaro SS

i am also in college right now and will be graduating soon. i vote to save for awhile until u are financially stable. loan payments can get old real quick.

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

Double, sorry, damn iPhone.
    Last edited by KMdef9; 02-15-2011 at 05:07 AM.

Sold: LS1 '85 El Camino ls1camino's Avatar

2000 Grand Prix GTP
    2000 Trans Am WS6 M6

Keep the Camaro and buy a house. Even if it's a condo or townhouse, it property.

White
    '10 ZR1

Quote Originally Posted by bluefields88 View Post
    Well, I'm going to graduate from college in a year or so, and my 2000 SS is starting to show its age. I bought the car in January of 2006 with 45K miles and have driven it up to 76K since then. Now that I might be moving on to a better paying job and actually have time to make money, I'm considering selling my Camaro and buying a different, newer car. I've also always hated that my car is an auto, as I want a manual. My next car will be a manual no matter what. Oh, and I've also wanted a Corvette since I was 7. So, here are my options Keep in mind this won't be happening for another year or two.

1. Keep my 2000 SS and clean it up. Replace worn parts, get a repaint, freshen up the car, maybe get a super charger.

2. 2002-04 Corvette Z06.

3. 2005-? base Corvette.

4. Brand new car that gets good gas mileage and saves me money on insurance and gas.

I'm gonna put a poll up. Vote and let me know what you guys think.
    Do you have a loan on the Camaro? What do you get for mileage currently?

Red
    2000 Camaro SS #3574 A4

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    I have $46 in credit card debt. That's it.

Red
    2000 Camaro SS #3574 A4

Quote Originally Posted by FasstChevys View Post
    Do you have a loan on the Camaro? What do you get for mileage currently?
    I paid it off a while ago so it's all mine. In the city and traffic I get 14 due to the tune I got that makes the car shift out of first at 2300 RPM. On the freeway I average 25 mpg. Big difference, but I live in California and there's a lot of stop and go. It's one of the reasons why I want a manual.

Black
    1999 Z/28 M6

credit card debt is good and low. what are your job prospects with your degree and the potential earnings?

if it's a couple years down the line i would hold off for a little bit. as others have said now is a good time to purchase property if you know that you will remain in a certain area for several years.

if you are gung ho about getting a new car soon it would be most adventageous to get a newer used economical car. the price you can expect from a 4th gen will be steadily declining over the next several years so i wouldn't expect to get a lot for it unless you put it in storage right now and don't drive it and make sure that when you go to sell it in a couple years that it only has 80k on it. you could probably then expect to get about $8k for it best offer depending on condition.

Red
    2000 Camaro SS #3574 A4

I'll most likely be a high school history teacher, and I have no idea where I'll be moving. Houses in my area are expensive as hell, and buying property is out of the questions as I might be moving. I'm expecting to make around $35K a year from that, and might do bartending on the side to make some more money.

White
    '10 ZR1

It might sound crazy, but I'd check in to what the cost of insurance is on an '04-ish Vette compared to your Camaro. If the extra payment with the Vette doesn't work out, I'd hang on to the Camaro since it doesn't owe you anything, and fix/paint/mod it after school. In the long run, you'll likely save more money, even with the lesser fuel economy.

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

I paid it off a while ago so it's all mine. In the city and traffic I get 14 due to the tune I got that makes the car shift out of first at 2300 RPM. On the freeway I average 25 mpg. Big difference, but I live in California and there's a lot of stop and go. It's one of the reasons why I want a manual.
    You don't want a manual for stop and go city traffic. Your knees and clutch won't like you.

Your smartest plan would be to bank cash for a down payment on a house. The market is as low as you may ever seen it, so the best thing to do is get into one.

Black
    1999 Z/28 M6

I'll most likely be a high school history teacher, and I have no idea where I'll be moving. Houses in my area are expensive as hell, and buying property is out of the questions as I might be moving. I'm expecting to make around $35K a year from that, and might do bartending on the side to make some more money.
    in that case. hold off on a property purchase for the time being. teachers are in demand, but be aware that state and local governments are looking at cost saving measures which means that entry level teachers are making less and are the first on the cutting block when budget overruns need to be addressed.

hold on to the camaro for the time being and get a decent daily driver...a 4 cylinder 4 door automatic a couple years old...and go from there.

Red
    2000 Camaro SS #3574 A4

I just looked and it would cost $135ish a month to insure a 2003 Z06 through Geico. Is that a good deal? I'm paying insurance on my Camaro with my dad as the owner so it's cheap...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information