Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

01 ta red
    95 mustangV6

what do you think the future holds for muscle cars

did anyone else read the story about gm dumping the hummer line they are already buying back dealerships to keep from getting sued when they shut it down... What do you think this will mean for the new camaro and most v 8 cars.. Maybe this will convince the powers that be to allow more drilling on american soil and off our coasts not only would it help gas costs but think about what it would do for the economy more jobs in the oil and gas bus.. and more spending on our part due the lower gas costs and maybe american auto sales would pick up instead of toyota and honda just curious what you guys think.

member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar

black
    2000 nhra edition formula

i think a lot more 4 bangers will be sold at the auto dealer lots, american made and others.
    a few bolt ons, 379 rwhp
    11.96 @113.25

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

Gas has dropped 40 cents here in the last few weeks...good sign.

01 ta red
    95 mustangV6

You didnt read that opec just raised the price again something about nuclear tech in iraq predictions are that gas will continue to rise not fall..

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Gearheads will always be modifying just about anything to go faster.....it's what we do....
    so that part of the hobby will never die....technology has already made 4 bangers more powerful than most of the V8's we had in the 60's/70's.....so from that perspective American Muscle doesn't necessarily mean 8 cylinders.....I mean the cobalt SS has more power than my 65 GTO by a long shot.....so what does American muscle mean?

Slower Than a 3rd Gen juiced99ws6's Avatar

Mystic Teal
    99 Trans Am & 01 CBR 929

very good reply Sarge.. I have modded everything I have ever owned from pedals bikes to 8 cylinders. We are just gunna have to learn some new tech

Black
    2001 Firebird TransAm WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    Gearheads will always be modifying just about anything to go faster.....it's what we do....
    so that part of the hobby will never die....technology has already made 4 bangers more powerful than most of the V8's we had in the 60's/70's.....so from that perspective American Muscle doesn't necessarily mean 8 cylinders.....I mean the cobalt SS has more power than my 65 GTO by a long shot.....so what does American muscle mean?
    i always thought that by definition american muscle was a v8. i agree that the technology out there is changing, and 4 cylinder engines do make a lot of power, especially with FI, but alos think about the ls7, isnt it rated at 28 mpg highway?
    im hoping that technologies such as cylinder deactivation prevent the death of the v8.

member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar

black

Quote Originally Posted by grouch0jr View Post
    i always thought that by definition american muscle was a v8. i agree that the technology out there is changing, and 4 cylinder engines do make a lot of power, especially with FI, but alos think about the ls7, isnt it rated at 28 mpg highway?
    im hoping that technologies such as cylinder deactivation prevent the death of the v8.
    i dont think the V8 will ever die, but i do believe youll see a lot less of it.

05 Wrangler

To me american muscle means n/a power....which on a 4 banger is very limited.

Black

Quote Originally Posted by SeVeReDiStOrTiOn View Post
    To me american muscle means n/a power....which on a 4 banger is very limited.
    what about a supercharged v8?

05 Wrangler

what about a supercharged v8?
    Good power for sure...but a loppy engine fits my concept of american muscle better. Over the years the "imports" have somewhat caght up in that department...but in the past american cars were difined by big displacement big power n/a engines.

Black

Good power for sure...but a loppy engine fits my concept of american muscle better. Over the years the "imports" have somewhat caght up in that department...but in the past american cars were difined by big displacement big power n/a engines.
    but what about the muscle cars with the blowers stick through the hood? thats totally american.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS

There will always be a niche of people who collect or own muscle cars. It might be the ultra rich that don't care or aren't affected by gas prices. I am not rich but am lucky to own a screamin', demon of a muscle car.

I imagine that if you were to look into America's future, 10 years from now, all you will see is tiny commuter cars, scooters, bicycles and maybe even rickshaws. This will happen as a result of a Democratic president and the rest of the world's desire to bring America down to 3rd world status, like the rest of the planet.

Black

Quote Originally Posted by ReBop View Post
    There will always be a niche of people who collect or own muscle cars. It might be the ultra rich that don't care or aren't affected by gas prices. I am not rich but am lucky to own a screamin', demon of a muscle car.

I imagine that if you were to look into America's future, 10 years from now, all you will see is tiny commuter cars, scooters, bicycles and maybe even rickshaws. This will happen as a result of a Democratic president and the rest of the world's desire to bring America down to 3rd world status, like the rest of the planet.
    haha, easy with the conspiracy theories.

05 Wrangler

but what about the muscle cars with the blowers stick through the hood? thats totally american.
    I'm not saying it's not...but when someone says "American muscle" the first thing that pops into my head is bigger displacement loppy engine. The definition of muscle is very wide and that's mine.

Black

I'm not saying it's not...but when someone says "American muscle" the first thing that pops into my head is bigger displacement loppy engine. The definition of muscle is very wide and that's mine.
    fair enough. i can agree with that.

Black
    1999 Z/28 M6

if the hummer brand dies it's no sweat off my sack. the brand sucks as it is currently. the H1...that was a hummer...this H2, H3, H2SUT...none of these are real hummers in my opinion. shit...the H3 gets worse fuel economy with it's 5 cylinder engine than the colorado which it shares it's platform with. what a pile.

if gm kills hummer it's not a bad thing. all it means is that they will have more money to put into the other divisions. market competition is fierce and when you have a brand that already sells nothing but trucks, gmc, and they have a long reputation and a good name to back them up it's pretty hard to get people to stay with a brand like hummer which isn't as versatile as they want you to think it is. it can go over a speed bump and a grandma at the grocery store but that's about it. it's a luxury vehicle plain and simple.

i'm also inclined to agree with sarge that continuing technologies bring innovation that pushes the industry along. 4 cylinders with the power of big v8's 10 or 20 years ago is a perfect example. my '96 monte carlo with the 3.1L made 165hp. now there are 4 cylinders that with no turbos are making 190 or 200 horse and getting better fuel economy than my v6.

the v8 won't die off but it will be more reserved for the truck, sports car, and aftermarket niches of the industry.

and like i've said before and i'll say again because it's still relevant. we need to invest more heavily in the hydrogen fuel cell and electric vehicle segments as they ARE the future not oil. oil was the future 100 years ago but we are getting to a point now where we will very soon begin to see the light at the end of this tunnel and we will need something else lest we let our current way of life die off.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

I'll have a 10 second rickshaw then

White
    1989 Pontiac Formula

i just graduated uti and its already been proven that americabn muscle cars are going to eventually disappear because of the economy, toyota is the best selling vehicle, it's a shame that all classic US muscle cars are being crushed

1981 g-Body

GM will be out of business in 5 years.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information