Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Black
    1999 Camaro Z28

What am I to do about this

Money is a bitch. Now that I've cleared that up here is my deal.
    I work 32 hours M-F and go to school everday. I make 10 an hour where Im at, I got a raise coming next month dont know how much however. Anyways, bills man. Bills. How do you guys manage it.
    I net 1100 a month right now. Im 19.
    400 goes to car payment.
    90 goes to insurance (on parents policy thank god)
    75 cell phone bill
    100 a month for a student loan from grandparents.
    That leaves me with $435 dollars a month to spend, and my Trans Am is my daily driver so gas gets used often. Then I have to buy groceries for lunch at work. Im seriously cutting it so damn close I cant save any money. When I think Im getting ahead something comes up. My next semester for school is coming up and I do not want to keep borrowing money. Should I take on another job? What do you guys do to manage your money?

SS: NBM, tan top
    1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

thats an expensive cell phone plan for one, and the car payment is killin ya too kinda cant get around the car payment tho

black
    1987 chevy camaro

try waiting on tabs at night or week ends. if present your self well and seem to know the menu, recomend things you can get good tips in the food industry, if you want anyinfo on it i worked in for six years in the food indust and lookin for another job just pm me or hit me up on aim..toxik iroc is my sn. i could give you lost pointers. but best of luck to you

Black
    99 Z28

don't count on that raise changing anything. You can count on maybe a quarter. If if you get a substantial raise, you must have a pretty good gig. Money when waiting tables is good. It's an easy $100 a day at most places.

Having two jobs is another way to make money, but two jobs and school is hell on ya. You can find other ways to cut back things. You might be able to get your grandparents to cut you some slack and not pay them until you're out of school, BUT there's other less selfish cuts that could be made probably.

Having money and not having money and having my car all of that time, one thing that I know for certain is that the car is much more enjoyable when I can afford it and I don't have to resent the car payment. That $400 car payment takes 1/3 of your income. It's not that bad, it leaves the rest. The thing is, it just depends on what your committed to and what's important for what you actually end up doing.

Black
    1999 Camaro Z28

I had it made for a while I was kicking ass with money. Then school ramped back up and my hours got cut back.

Nuclear Cat Will End All LS1Powerhouse's Avatar
    Edwardsville, IL (So. IL Univ. of Edwardsville)

Mystic Teal
    1999 Camaro Z28 - A4

tips do help alot! if you can snag a job at a restaurant and work the same amount of hours (of course quiting your current job) you'll make double the money. i work at a country club (very long and slow nights, only get 4-5 tables and most of the people only give 5-10 bucks) and i bring home, on average, 20 dollars more on my check from tips than i do for my labor (if you can call it that) I normally work 3 days a week from 5-8/9 and bring home roughly 300-350 a week.

Black
    1999 Camaro Z28

My job I have now is not the job you would want to quit. I am studying to be an engineer and I work for the largest Mechanical Contractor in the southeast. Its just I could the extra money so I can have a savings.

blue
    83 mustang 347

see if you could maybe refinance your car if you have paid a good bit on it already. and also try to get a job working friday and saturday nights at a restaurant

if you are a bigger guy try security at some bars or clubs they usually pay 60-100 (depending on where you are) a night cash

if there are alot of 'high class' type places with valet parking try there

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

Limit cell phone use to important calls ONLY. I dont know how much extra time you have for doing more work but as already suggested you could find a part time waiter job at a place that usually has good tips. Another thing you could do is odd jobs for people-even your family if they need things done-cleaning garages,raking leaves/yardwork,washing /waxing cars anything for extra cash(you may have already thought of these things) Maybe you could sell some things you never use on ebay. I admire your hard work to get where you want to be in life-I hope it pays off for you.
    Good luck man!-dont give up!

Pewter
    99 Z/28

Working for tips is not the answer. I've been doing it for 4 years and believe me you get tired of working for daily wages and putting up with customers, lol. But if I were you, i would not worry about how much I make as long as I am able to pay my bills on time. There should be some loose ends you can cut to save some cash, i.e. get on a cell phone plan with your parents my bill went from 80 a month to 16 its bad ass! And as far as ur current employer, STAY THERE! engineers have the potential to make TOO MUCH MONEY! LOL once you finish school you will have a savings account like that! SO just keep your foot in the door, sacrifice now, and once you finish school you WILL have it made. good luck-with engineering you will need it! lol

NBM
    99 TA

Quote Originally Posted by JHayesLS1 View Post
    I work 32 hours M-F and go to school everday. I make 10 an hour where Im at, I got a raise coming next month dont know how much however. Anyways, bills man. Bills. How do you guys manage it.
    400 goes to car payment.
    75 cell phone bill
    That leaves me with $435 dollars a month to spend, and my Trans Am is my daily driver so gas gets used often. Then I have to buy groceries for lunch at work. Im seriously cutting it so damn close I cant save any money. When I think Im getting ahead something comes up. My next semester for school is coming up and I do not want to keep borrowing money. Should I take on another job? What do you guys do to manage your money?
    How much do you owe on your car, is it more than the car is worth?
    If it is feasable to do so without taking a huge loss... get rid of the car.
    find something cheap to fuck around in and then buy a better car when you are out of school and have a good job.

As shitty as that sounds... the car is the root of all your problems, but it also probably brings you joy in life. It is a shitty situation. But if a neutral observer was to examine your finances... bet your ass the first thing that would be said is "get rid of the car".

Alternate Plan: Pick up a little something on the side to make some extra cash. Under the table stuff would be ideal ( keep uncle sam outta your pocket)

Edit: Also - ditch the fuckin cell phone, if need be get a cheap ass pay as you go phone and only use it when you need to. Your cell phone bill would pay for quite a few groceries.

back 'n better than ever Kjz99z28's Avatar

White/Black
    1999 Z28

+1... There are definitely cheaper cell phone plans.. you just gotta cut back on what you absolutely don't need

Black
    2005 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by JHayesLS1 View Post
    400 goes to car payment.
    75 cell phone bill
    No offense but your a college student your meant to be broke. If all you owe is your grandparents for college I say your doing pretty good. Most college students I know have some serious student loans and alot on credit cards. For example my bro owes well over 20k, my gf will owe around 10k by the time shes done. If your scraping buy and only borrowing alittle from family I'd say your doing pretty good.

2 SS's are better than 1 Jays00ss's Avatar

NBM / Silver
    00 SS / 71 SS Elcamino

refinance your car and dump your cell phone plan

Bright Rally Red
    2000 Camaro SS #5075 M6

yeah +1 on the car and cell phone. Im only paying $236@ 7.1% for 5 years for the SS and around $40 for my cell. Whats the interest rate on the car?

Love buying generic GM's Nastyfoot's Avatar

Black, Black
    2011 "Generic" Gasser

Hopefully this doesnt come across as rude but..........suck it up, your 19. Things don't come easy to most guys your age. Don't get a champagne taste on a beer budget. It doesn't work.

As you grow and get educated, your income so too should grow. hang in there, it's not uncommon

NBM / Silver
    00 SS / 71 SS Elcamino

Quote Originally Posted by splitfinger09 View Post
    yeah +1 on the car and cell phone. Im only paying $236@ 7.1% for 5 years for the SS and around $40 for my cell. Whats the interest rate on the car?
    I agree only paying $210 5 yr 6.5% on my camaro, and $40 on my wife and I's cell phone. + 1 on the suck it up clause. Your only 19, you want the nice car? Deal with it.
    Last edited by Jays00ss; 10-31-2007 at 05:29 PM.

NBM / Silver
    00 SS / 71 SS Elcamino

Wait till you have 3 other car payments, A wife, a Mortgage, kids, Boat, 401k, water, electric, satellite, Internet, sewage, Gas, credit cards, modding your f-body, Your 60's era muscle car, and student loan payments to deal with. Hope your studying to be a doctor. You think you got it rough now? Just wait young grasshopper just wait!!!!

Black
    1999 Camaro Z28

Im paying 9.4%!! Holy hell how did you guys get such a good rate?

Catfish for Breakfast Bobby97SS's Avatar

white
    97 SS

Quote Originally Posted by Jays00ss View Post
    Wait till you have 3 other car payments, A wife, a Mortgage, kids, Boat, 401k, water, electric, satellite, Internet, sewage, Gas, credit cards, modding your f-body, Your 60's era muscle car, and student loan payments to deal with. Hope your studying to be a doctor. You think you got it rough now? Just wait young grasshopper just wait!!!!
    Dont forget Dr., dentist, college, vacation and Christmas.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information