Wish I had an LS1. kickflippin1's Avatar

Thumbs up Went for a ride in my friends modded Cobalt SS/SC!

Well, a mechanic at my work has an '07 Cobalt SS/SC, and he recently put a few thousand dollars worth of work into it, and he's still not done yet. So, he just got it back today after having the company work on it for a few days. They used his car as a "test" car, and added all their upgrades on to it with a big discount on all the parts for letting them test with his car.

I don't know all of the exact mods, but he has added a Harrop HTV1320-LSJ Supercharger, full 3 inch exhaust (header and all that), a completely new fuel system (injectors, fuel pump, braided fuel lines, the works), and a really nice cold air intake system (not sure of the brand). He still has a few things left to do, like new axles, rims/tires, and hes going to port/polish the head.

So, as I said, he just got it back today, and we went out and cruised a local street out here where everyone cruises on the weekends (some of the Michigan members might know of Gratiot Ave.). So, before we start cruising, he's like, "You guys ready to see what it can do from a 40 roll?" So, me and my friend are like, "Sure man, lets go." Well, he punches it in 2nd gear at 40mph, and my first reaction was, "Holy SHIT!" This car is freakin' fast, guys. I know a lot of you have mods to your cars, so I know you know what fast is, but I didn't expect that much out of this car.

We ended up running a few cars. One of them was this piece of crap Honda Prelude. We weren't going to bother with him, but then we could hear his turbo spooling up, and asked him to run from a 40 roll. We ended up getting about a car length on him before we shut it down. This thing looked like it was probably worth $1,500 bucks, but it ran like it was worth $6,000 or more.

Another car we ran was a 98-02 Camaro V6 with a 125 shot. He kept purging but we thought that's all it was was a purge. Well, he asked us to take it on the freeway, so we assumed he was for real. Right before we turned on to the freeway, we could see him reaching into his back seat turning on the bottle. Well, this guy apparently didn't know how to drive, or his spray wasn't working, because we blew the freakin' doors off this thing. Ran him 4 times, same result, and on the 4th time we gave him almost 2 sec. head start.

Anyway...I now have a lot more respect for his car. He is getting it dyno tuned on Saturday to tweak everything to perfection, and see how much he is putting down. The company that worked on it told him that he should have the fastest Cobalt SS/SC on stock internals with stock head. They're looking around 350+ HP from what I am told, but I will find out for sure at the end of the week.

Anybody else ever go for a ride in one of these that are modded? Or know anyone with any modded 4 banger that could give any LS1 a run for their money? I'm tellin' you, this car was sick, and I had a blast.

white
    90 Mustang 5.0

Quote Originally Posted by kickflippin1 View Post
    Well, a mechanic at my work has an '07 Cobalt SS/SC, and he recently put a few thousand dollars worth of work into it, and he's still not done yet. So, he just got it back today after having the company work on it for a few days. They used his car as a "test" car, and added all their upgrades on to it with a big discount on all the parts for letting them test with his car.

I don't know all of the exact mods, but he has added a Harrop HTV1320-LSJ Supercharger, full 3 inch exhaust (header and all that), a completely new fuel system (injectors, fuel pump, braided fuel lines, the works), and a really nice cold air intake system (not sure of the brand). He still has a few things left to do, like new axles, rims/tires, and hes going to port/polish the head.

So, as I said, he just got it back today, and we went out and cruised a local street out here where everyone cruises on the weekends (some of the Michigan members might know of Gratiot Ave.). So, before we start cruising, he's like, "You guys ready to see what it can do from a 40 roll?" So, me and my friend are like, "Sure man, lets go." Well, he punches it in 2nd gear at 40mph, and my first reaction was, "Holy SHIT!" This car is freakin' fast, guys. I know a lot of you have mods to your cars, so I know you know what fast is, but I didn't expect that much out of this car.

We ended up running a few cars. One of them was this piece of crap Honda Prelude. We weren't going to bother with him, but then we could hear his turbo spooling up, and asked him to run from a 40 roll. We ended up getting about a car length on him before we shut it down. This thing looked like it was probably worth $1,500 bucks, but it ran like it was worth $6,000 or more.

Another car we ran was a 98-02 Camaro V6 with a 125 shot. He kept purging but we thought that's all it was was a purge. Well, he asked us to take it on the freeway, so we assumed he was for real. Right before we turned on to the freeway, we could see him reaching into his back seat turning on the bottle. Well, this guy apparently didn't know how to drive, or his spray wasn't working, because we blew the freakin' doors off this thing. Ran him 4 times, same result, and on the 4th time we gave him almost 2 sec. head start.

Anyway...I now have a lot more respect for his car. He is getting it dyno tuned on Saturday to tweak everything to perfection, and see how much he is putting down. The company that worked on it told him that he should have the fastest Cobalt SS/SC on stock internals with stock head. They're looking around 350+ HP from what I am told, but I will find out for sure at the end of the week.

Anybody else ever go for a ride in one of these that are modded? Or know anyone with any modded 4 banger that could give any LS1 a run for their money? I'm tellin' you, this car was sick, and I had a blast.
    an aquaintance has a 400 awhp 06 EVO MR. freakin car pulls really hard

i would get that cobalt tuned before kicking the snot out of it if i were your friend. its not as big a deal N/A but a boosted car can be trouble

Impounded
    Quote Originally Posted by kickflippin1 View Post

nope but i dusted the shit out of one that was modded

Arctic White & Black
    '98 WS6 M6 - SWAPTIME!

No matter how gay it looks, you can make any car fast as hell if you have the $$$ and hook ups.

Onyx Black
    2002 Camaro Vert Z28

I almost got one of those SS but it was going to be the newer turboed one but ended up with the Z in the end and probably for the better

murdered out 06 z06

cobalts are ok for daily drivers but i wouldnt put any money into that shit

Black
    99 Z28

My friend sold his Evo. It's a couple of years old. It was more than 500 hp (if I remember right, it was actually more like 600 hp) and they're AWD.

I wouldn't even waste the gas on trying to keep up with him. That car was crazy fast and it drove like it was on rails.

Gone:2001 Camaro SS #4846

The Cobalt SS is nice and all, and your friends' car sounds fast...

But even after all that it's still Wrong Wheel Drive.

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Harrop blowers are very popular with the Cobalts and the GTO's. Spool like mad. Hey, Cobalts, IMO, are the F-Bod and GTO's baby brother. Like my shop teacher used to say:

"You can do whatever you want with a car...all it takes is money and dedication."

Wish I had an LS1. kickflippin1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 310stanger View Post
    an aquaintance has a 400 awhp 06 EVO MR. freakin car pulls really hard

i would get that cobalt tuned before kicking the snot out of it if i were your friend. its not as big a deal N/A but a boosted car can be trouble
    The car has been tuned, but not dyno tuned. Is there a difference? I'm not too up to speed on how all that works. He just told me that they were tweaking everything and tuning it at the shop, then having it dyno tuned later this week.

Thread Information