Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Impounded

Ways to prevent a repo - anyone have tips?

I want to prevent a repo, for at least a little while, due to hardships. anyone hear of any tricks to prevent it. such as locking car in garage (which I don't have), or blocking the vehicle with otehr vehicles.

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

1970 Fbody

Quote Originally Posted by SLIM_DURST View Post
    I want to prevent a repo, for at least a little while, due to hardships. anyone hear of any tricks to prevent it. such as locking car in garage (which I don't have), or blocking the vehicle with otehr vehicles.
    Hide the car. Do not leave it anywhere in site or take it to your normal work place or hangouts. Find a buddy miles away and stash it with a cover on it and have him put no trespassing signs out. That way if the repo people come on to his property he can legally charge them for trespassing and have the cops remove them before they take the car. I had a friend with the same situation. I blocked it in on my driveway, posted no trespassing signs. Don't know how but the repo guy showed up and started to hookup and move my own car to get to my friends. Funny how a shotgun pointed at your head will make people cry. I pressed charges against the driver for trespassing.

What is legal during a repo that can very from state to state but most of what is said here is close to the mark. You cannot cause breech of peace and if you ask the repo agent to leave they must comply but you cannot stop them from leaving with their vehicle. Blocking their truck and then asking them to leave will not get them arrested. They just have to step off the "private" property until law enforcement arrives and then they can request access to their vehicle and can leave peacefully. Most of the time a vehicle is only being repossesed to secure the banks asset until you can make payment arrangements to get it back. You don't own the vehicle until the last payment is made and most people forget this when they drive off the car lot. They add expensive stereos and nice rims and then get all pissed off when they find out that anything attached or otherwise mounted to the vehicle becomes the banks if they choose to auction it off.
    Last edited by nosfed; 10-05-2006 at 05:45 AM.

414 RWHP 395 RWTQ
    00 Black Ram Air Trans Am

Find someone who will lend you their garage, only sure way to protect it.

SS: NBM, tan top
    1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

yea he probably had a family, thats why he was crying

Mystic Teal Metallic
    1998 Z-28, 2010 SS

Pay the bill????

Impounded
    Quote Originally Posted by norm43a View Post
    Pay the bill????
    that is not an option

SS: NBM, tan top
    1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

lol
    what are they trying to repo

Impounded
    If you stash it in a garage and lock it, I guess can NEVER get to it. but that will mean you are not using it. I dont know.... i don't have a garage, if I put in a fence to block the driveway, with a lock, then that would work. they can't legally tamper with the locked fence. if i drive it somewhere , i just have to be sure i don't leave it parked . yea mabye thsi can work

Visualize°Design°Create SSwt00SS's Avatar

'18 CTS-V
    '13 ZL1

can you explain why paying the bill is not an option when you are legally bound by contract and laws to pay? I would figure out which is cheaper, getting sued and going to court for the whole outstanding amount due plus interest, etc. OR just paying even if it's not the minimum payment just so it shows you are making an attempt to not being deliquinet/deadbeat? Also, what about calling the collection agency and try to work something out w/them instead of just stopping payment on whatever it is that made you post this thread...

414 RWHP 395 RWTQ

If you stash it in a garage and lock it, I guess can NEVER get to it. but that will mean you are not using it. I dont know.... i don't have a garage, if I put in a fence to block the driveway, with a lock, then that would work. they can't legally tamper with the locked fence. if i drive it somewhere , i just have to be sure i don't leave it parked . yea mabye thsi can work
    You do realize that MOST repo men will go above and beyond to get the car back right? They run all of you rreferences and check addresses, and please don't think that a locked gate will stop them. My father in law use to do it and I went along a few times, you wouldn't believe the shit we did to get the car back.

Cyclone Grey Metallic
    2005 GTO

:snifs the air: I smell a "Oh man I got repoed" thread coming soon.

1 BAD ASS BOWTIE StangKiller615's Avatar

Black on Black
    2001 Camaro SS

Rent a Storage Garage big enough to accomdate the vehicle.

Impounded
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurley711 View Post
    You do realize that MOST repo men will go above and beyond to get the car back right? They run all of you rreferences and check addresses, and please don't think that a locked gate will stop them. My father in law use to do it and I went along a few times, you wouldn't believe the shit we did to get the car back.
    they're not supposed to breach the peace, such as breaking into locked garage. but i guess a locked gate don't matter.
    also i thought i can park another car up on teh grass to block this car. then they can't move the car to get to it because the front of the car is at someone's house and the back of it is at my stairs. so there's no way to get a tow truck there to move it.

White
    '10 ZR1

.......hope the Repo man doesn't bring Johnny Law along with him.......if the vehicle is in plain sight, your car is as good as repossessed......gate or not

414 RWHP 395 RWTQ

they're not supposed to breach the peace, such as breaking into locked garage. but i guess a locked gate don't matter.
    also i thought i can park another car up on teh grass to block this car. then they can't move the car to get to it because the front of the car is at someone's house and the back of it is at my stairs. so there's no way to get a tow truck there to move it.
    A GOOD repman will get the car if he finds it, A GOOD repoman will at least. If my father in law saw th ecar, it went with him. If a car was blocking it in, he jacked the other car up on wheelies and moved it out of the way

White
    '10 ZR1

Quote Originally Posted by Hurley711 View Post
    A GOOD repman will get the car if he finds it, A GOOD repoman will at least. If my father in law saw th ecar, it went with him. If a car was blocking it in, he jacked the other car up on wheelies and moved it out of the way

Hurley, did you and/or your Dad ever get Johnny Law involved? Is that a common practice? Or no?

Black
    2001 Pontiac

so there's no way to get a tow truck there to move it.

Oh yes there is, ...
    Hook on to the vehicle in the way, knowing it was placed as a blocker, & drag the SOB out of the way sideways if ya have to.

I can't believe you are being this, dare I say, 'stupid'?
    Call the collection agency, or call the bank.
    Do something positive about it instead of everything negative.
    If it's reposessed, it'll be on your credit record for a long time.
    Good luck at at buying another nice vehicle with a loan again.

Oh wait, ..., look who I'm talking to, ..., Warnings 2, Level 2.
    It's all understood now, ...

414 RWHP 395 RWTQ

Quote Originally Posted by FasstChevys View Post
    Hurley, did you and/or your Dad ever get Johnny Law involved? Is that a common practice? Or no?
    Certain counties required that you notify the police before repossesing, in Philly you didn't have to, you just had to report the car after you repoed. Most of the suburbs wanted to know before hand, so when the customer called it in stolen/missing the station knew why.

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

whatever happened to that show with the big guy from the Sopranos?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information