blue
    1999 TransAm

Way to Go, ...Again, GM (Part 3)

Well isn't this a crock... "New GM" won't address defects produced by "Old GM"...

GM says bankruptcy excuses it from Impala repairs | Reuters

GM says bankruptcy excuses it from Impala repairs
    Fri Aug 19, 2011 3:47pm EDT

* New GM said not responsible to fix Impala made by old GM

* Suspension problem said to cause excessive tire wear

By Jonathan Stempel

NEW YORK, Aug 19 (Reuters) - General Motors Co (GM.N) is seeking to dismiss a lawsuit over a suspension problem on more than 400,000 Chevrolet Impalas from the 2007 and 2008 model years, saying it should not be responsible for repairs because the flaw predated its bankruptcy.

The lawsuit, filed on June 29 by Donna Trusky of Blakely, Pennsylvania, contended that her Impala suffered from faulty rear spindle rods, causing her rear tires to wear out after just 6,000 miles. [ID:nN1E7650CT]

Seeking class-action status and alleging breach of warranty, the lawsuit demands that GM fix the rods, saying that it had done so on Impala police vehicles.

But in a recent filing with the U.S. District Court in Detroit, GM noted that the cars were made by its predecessor General Motors Corp, now called Motors Liquidation Co or "Old GM," before its 2009 bankruptcy and federal bailout.

The current company, called "New GM," said it did not assume responsibility under the reorganization to fix the Impala problem, but only to make repairs "subject to conditions and limitations" in express written warranties. In essence, the automaker said, Trusky sued the wrong entity.

"New GM's warranty obligations for vehicles sold by Old GM are limited to the express terms and conditions in the Old GM written warranties on a going-forward basis," wrote Benjamin Jeffers, a lawyer for GM. "New GM did not assume responsibility for Old GM's design choices, ...

Black
    02ss

Aside from a Vette, I don't see any GM purchases in my future. They just don't seem to be moving forward.

Black
    00 camaro ss M6 #6695

wow gm..ur fucked up...so sad.. its the only car company... i guess ill go bk to dodge..lol...
    i see gm goin out of bussines soon..

Light Pewter Metallic
    2K Camaro Z28

GM has and always been a fuck up. That is why I am not a factory fan boy of any company.

blue
    1999 TransAm

flashback to 2009 - GM's new defacto CEO:

U.S. will guarantee GM, Chrysler warranties, Obama says - AutoWeek

"Let me say this as plainly as I can. If you buy a car from Chrysler or General Motors, you will be able to get your car serviced and repaired just like always," Obama said in a speech. "Your warranty will be safe. In fact, it will be safer than it has ever been. Because starting today, the United States will stand behind your warranty."

Gone:2001 Camaro SS #4846

Wait, you mean Obama wasn't being 100% truthful when he made his guarantee?

This must be some part of the vast right-wing conspiracy to put The Chosen One in a bad light.

Actually, I'm a bit surprised it even got reported.

Obama lied and spindle rods died.

This will do wonders for customer satisfaction

white
    90 Mustang 5.0

As good as the LSX powertrain is, GM doesnt deserve your money.

Gray/ White
    09Ram 1500 83 Thunderturd

Quote Originally Posted by 98maro View Post
    wow gm..ur fucked up...so sad.. its the only car company... i guess ill go bk to dodge..lol...
    i see gm goin out of bussines soon..
    I just left a Chrysler dealer. I'd go Ford before Mopar
    Pretty much every maufacturere has this problem, yet no law suits on any of them? Suspension is only covered for 3/36 so if nobody ever aligns the car they tend to seize. Should GM do more yes does it need to be a witch hunt on just them judgement call but can't really crucify one company and ignore the rest of them
    Last edited by GTP231; 08-21-2011 at 10:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by GTP231 View Post
    I just left a Chrysler dealer. I'd go Ford before Mopar
    Pretty much every maufacturere has this problem, yet no law suits on any of them? Suspension is only covered for 3/36 so if nobody ever aligns the car they tend to seize. Should GM do more yes does it need to be a witch hunt on just them judgement call but can't really crucify one company and ignore the rest of them
    Sure can. Some of the others didnt take bailouts with taxpayer money.

Gray/ White

Yet nobody goes after Chrysler or Ford. They both have just as many problems they avoid dealing with and government money they haven't paid back yet. How are they different. Neither of them cover suspension warranties past 3/36 or warranty tires past 12/12 if you're lucky just as GM does

blue
    1999 TransAm

Yet nobody goes after Chrysler or Ford. They both have just as many problems they avoid dealing with and government money they haven't paid back yet. How are they different. Neither of them cover suspension warranties past 3/36 or warranty tires past 12/12 if you're lucky just as GM does
    ford didn't get a bailout. chrysler was "divested", sold at a loss to taxpayers...

Gray/ White

True Ford went to investors after all 3 ceos were yelled at for taking their own private jets to the first bail out talks. But they've received plenty of money from the government prior just like the other 3. So the Chrysler sale being a loss washes them from the witch hunt also? Doesn't make sense when they build some of the crappiest shit on the road today.
    All auto manufacturers are crooked and one alone shouldn't be singled out for a witch hunt is all I'm trying to say

Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

Quote Originally Posted by wileyCoyote View Post
    Technically its not a lie. They are still covering warranties from before the bailout. This case is about DEFECTS not warranty. Still a very shitty thing for GM to do and they will get none of my money...... other than what the gov gives them lol

Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

Once again this isnt about warranty, this is about a defect. If you notice even GMs lawyers say we still cover the warranties but not defects from the "old GM". Atleast ford is making some decent cars and sold assests and borrowed from investors during the bailout. Difference is ford is moving foward GM is being a gov controlled bitch.
    Last edited by Zinergy; 08-25-2011 at 06:07 AM.

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Zinergy View Post
    Once again this isnt about warranty, this is about a defect. If you notice even GMs lawyers say we still cover the warranties but not defects from the "old GM". Atleast ford is making some decent cars and sold assests and borrowed from investors during the bailout. Difference is ford is moving foward GM is being a gov controlled bitch.
    I hate to say it, but, that's pretty much the way I see it too Although, Ford also has plenty of issues with their vehicles as well.

Gray/ White

Quote Originally Posted by Zinergy View Post
    I have grasped the government bitch point. My point is that defect is something almost all manufacturers have since GM isn't the only one to have that style suspension set up. Guess what all the others seize up too and become impossible to adjust over time if you never have an alignment done. Get one annually or everyother year and guess what they stay loose and get lubed. Nobody else is getting crucified and they all should since the government has their hand in everyone's pocket one way or another

Gray/ White

Quote Originally Posted by KahanaReef View Post
    I hate to say it, but, that's pretty much the way I see it too Although, Ford also has plenty of issues with their vehicles as well.
    And owes the tax payers plenty of coin yet also

Thread Information