Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

black
    98 WS6

walmart security?

today in Walmart I was buying 1 item. I checked it out in front of the employee and noticed it had that beeping strip in a box. I decided to buy and I asked the employee to make sure it's deactivated. he did so twice.
    walking towards the exit I noticed a security guard who was not there when I walked in.
    I had my helmet and a backpack with me. The item was in the backpack already as I paid at the back counter, not at the registers.
    sure enough the beeper goes off
    I turn around and already see him proceeding towards me.
    I give him the receipt, the item. He checks the receipt and moves the item thru the gate - no sound. I swing my backpack thru the gates - no sound, I walk back thru the gate - no sound.
    I shrug it off, he says it happens, I leave.
    and then it hit me: I have just been discriminated upon. the beard, backpack, helmet.
    is it possible that the guard has a remote with him and triggers the alarm whenever he feels somebody should be checked?

Everything fiberglass
    2005 Amberlamps

You should have just continued walking. You paid for the item fair and square. They have no grounds to hold you.

That's what I always do. I just keep on walking. I'm not stealing anything. Not my problem if their stupid ass security shit is malfunctioning. More likely their dumbfuk min.wage employee forgot to swipe the product over the demag pad. I'm not a criminal, they can suk my dick for 5 bucks if they wanna change that though.

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Quote Originally Posted by pecha View Post
    is it possible that the guard has a remote with him and triggers the alarm whenever he feels somebody should be checked?
    Ummm....yes.

You look like a thief. You should expect this.
    Shave....no more alarm.

Black
    99 Z-28

No you were not discriminated against. It is called shop keepers privelage. They can ask to see the contents of your bag as long as you are in the store. If they unlawfully detain you then you could have a claim of unjust imprisonment. When ever you walk into a store with a back pack it does raise a red flag for shop lifting. Think about it? If you owned a store and some guy walked in with a back pack what would you think?

Everything fiberglass
    2005 Amberlamps

Quote Originally Posted by walterchang View Post
    If you owned a store and some guy walked in with a back pack what would you think?
    "a store" possibly being one of many stores on every college campus ever in which 99% of the customers have backpacks?

black
    98 WS6

No you were not discriminated against. It is called shop keepers privelage. They can ask to see the contents of your bag as long as you are in the store. If they unlawfully detain you then you could have a claim of unjust imprisonment. When ever you walk into a store with a back pack it does raise a red flag for shop lifting. Think about it? If you owned a store and some guy walked in with a back pack what would you think?
    I made sure I don't show him anything else except for the item I bought and the receipt. He didn't say he wanted to see anything more.
    I don't think they have a right to check the contents of my backpack, anyway.

Silver
    2002 Trans AM

i would hire you to babysit my kids. wait i dont have any kids. you can babysit my goldfish....yeah i dont have that either.

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

today in Walmart I was buying 1 item. I checked it out in front of the employee and noticed it had that beeping strip in a box. I decided to buy and I asked the employee to make sure it's deactivated. he did so twice.
    walking towards the exit I noticed a security guard who was not there when I walked in.
    I had my helmet and a backpack with me. The item was in the backpack already as I paid at the back counter, not at the registers.
    I give him the receipt, the item. He checks the receipt and moves the item thru the gate - no sound. I swing my backpack thru the gates - no sound, I walk back thru the gate - no sound.
    and then it hit me: I have just been discriminated upon. the beard, backpack, helmet.
    No

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Very similar law here. The store simply needs reasonable suspicion that someone has shoplifted to detain the person.

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

I made sure I don't show him anything else except for the item I bought and the receipt. He didn't say he wanted to see anything more.
    I don't think they have a right to check the contents of my backpack, anyway.
    Yes we do.

Thats why lots of retail places have signs in the door that request you leave bags, backpacks etc. at the registers or at the customer service area.

Black
    99 Z-28

Quote Originally Posted by 86 IROC-Z View Post
    "a store" possibly being one of many stores on every college campus ever in which 99% of the customers have backpacks?
    Campus and Walmart are completely different places. A family shopping at a the on campus that would arouse my suspicion.

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

If you walk into a pharmacy in Tulsa these days with a backpack, and security is on the premises, don't be surprised to have a gun in your face and get thrown on the ground. Its really in your best interest to not take a bag or backpack into a store around here.

Red
    99 Chevrolet Camaro Z-28

take this from an ex walmart employee( yes i had hit rock bottom) but you can seriously pick any thing up and walk out not paying for it at all, all you have to do is walk outside the doors of the store. they legally cannot follow you outside of the store..they can try anything they can to keep you in the doors of the store, but cant do squat when you make it outside...also there is no night time security to watch over the security cameras and what not.....now you know. lmao

Pewter
    2002 Trans Am WS6 M6

You walk into any major retailer with a backpack no matter what you look like expect to be watched and searched. As much as it sucks they have to. 90% of the time people who come in with large bags are there to steal. So to protect themselves they have to treat everyone like they are a potential thief.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveCZ28 View Post
    take this from an ex walmart employee( yes i had hit rock bottom) but you can seriously pick any thing up and walk out not paying for it at all, all you have to do is walk outside the doors of the store. they legally cannot follow you outside of the store..they can try anything they can to keep you in the doors of the store, but cant do squat when you make it outside...also there is no night time security to watch over the security cameras and what not.....now you know. lmao
    You pay for it. The next time you buy something legally there or anywhere the costs of theft are passed onto the consumer. So just remember every time you steal or anyone else does. Everyone pays for it in the end.

Red
    99 Chevrolet Camaro Z-28

Quote Originally Posted by raynor139 View Post
    You walk into any major retailer with a backpack no matter what you look like expect to be watched and searched. As much as it sucks they have to. 90% of the time people who come in with large bags are there to steal. So to protect themselves they have to treat everyone like they are a potential thief.

You pay for it. The next time you buy something legally there or anywhere the costs of theft are passed onto the consumer. So just remember every time you steal or anyone else does. Everyone pays for it in the end.
    i dont steal, nor have i stolen...im just passing on info that my old boss gave me...i was shocked at what he told me

NBM
    98 trans am

i worked at wal mart for 4 years and to my knowledge they didnt have anything like that... but then again...... wal mart is pretty much satan and theyre conniving whores so who knows

Bright Red
    2000 TA Firehawk 0041/742

When I used to ride I'd carry my backpack with me as well. If I was stopped I had no problem with it because it was their right to ensure that their property did not walk out of the store without me paying for it. I'm sure not going to fight them for wanting to protect their business. (By the way, I also have a beard, helmet and pack and was stopped numerous times.)
    2000 Pontiac Firehawk #0041 of 742

black
    98 WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Y2KPewterSS View Post
    Yes we do.

Thats why lots of retail places have signs in the door that request you leave bags, backpacks etc. at the registers or at the customer service area.
    afaik in CA you can tell the, to F off if they wanna search your backpack and all they can do is ask you to leave the premises and never come back

Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

afaik in CA you can tell the, to F off if they wanna search your backpack and all they can do is ask you to leave the premises and never come back
    Security is really getting beefed up around such places. I went to ShopRite last week and there was a sign on th door that said "ShopRite has the right to search any bags or purses and customers are requested to hand them over upon request". I do agree with discrimination. I am 100% hindu and everyone keeps on thinking I am Muslim/Arabic when I grow a beard. The logic now is that if you dress like a thief, you prolly are a thief.
    "Life is to short to drive a slow car"

Gone but not forgoten: 1998 Pontiac Trans Am M6 "The Black Bandit"
    Bought- 11-18-05
    Sold- 10-14-08

member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar

black
    2000 nhra edition formula

Quote Originally Posted by rajiv1998 View Post
    I am 100% hindu and everyone keeps on thinking I am Muslim/Arabic when I grow a beard. The logic now is that if you dress like a thief, you prolly are a thief.
    In your case if he looks like a jihadist he is a jihadist
    2000 nhra edition formula
    a few bolt ons, 379 rwhp
    11.96 @113.25

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information