Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Wal-Mart fires employee

Wal-Mart fires employee for chasing after thief

Here's the story.

http://www.ocala.com/article/2009102...1015/1402/NEWS

It's no wonder Wal-mart shelves aren't bare by now. No chase policy?!? :WTF:

I see police at most Wal-Marts I've been to.

The guy should have gotten a raise.

Sorry Mods, I need this moved to AAG I didn't realize I was still in this section.

Bad Cowboy Fan, Bad Cowboy fan...

2011 Prius

People wonder why I left Walmart... They cost the government money... People who work there full time, have to get supported by the tax payers in order to survive, something is wrong there. Oh and best response I got from a manager... "We don't pay you to think." They want stupid people.

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

Wal-mart is horrible.

I worked there during college. And I was asked on a form what's the minimum i would work for (2005). I put 7.00 thinking I wouldn't get it. I actually get 7.00 per hour and I ask my roommate what he was being paid (worked there for several years) and he said 7.25. So I didn't tell him how much I made. Poor guy.

There is actually a lawsuit out there for wal-mart. They cut back their employees hours without telling them.

One time I made sure I got my 40 hours one week and even stayed late to get 2 hours of OT. They edited my time card. If you go over 40 hours they have to provide health care benefits, which they don't. So I can actually get that money back thanks to this lawsuit, but it's barely worth my time.

When it came time for my review, a supervisor who I had never even talked to before did a review on me for my next pay raise. Now I am a guy that goes to work and I don't talk to anyone unless I work right next to them. So at this point I talk to 3 people, roommate, and two others I work with. NO SUPERVISORS. So after 3 months of doing a good job I am told I am average and mediocre. He sees the expression of disgust on my face and asks what's wrong. I say nothing is wrong and leave. I called in a few days later and told them I won't be showing up anymore. Wow, were they pissed....owell. How can you give a review on me, when you don't work with me. It's based on no one else's opinion but the supervisors..so fuck you.

And yes Wal-Mart does say, do not go after thieves. I remember that part of the initial training. I wouldn't anyway. Who gives a shit about a few dollars at Wal-mart. They make 100s of billions of dollars per year. Around 300 billion last year if my memory serves me right, who cares.

We had a guy on shift that was dressed normal who actually does go throughout the store. He caught several people every day.

One night, a manager got caught.
    Last edited by allbaugh_04; 10-21-2009 at 03:19 PM.

Black
    2005 GTO

Alot of retailers have a no chase policy. The company I work for has one, even as a manager I am not alowed to chase, or use any kind of force to stop the person. Does't mean I can't harass the person with customer service, follow them around be wating for them at the end of the aisle on every aisle, talk loudly around them to other associates about our survalance system, follow them to there car to get the cart way out at the back of the lot ect. There are ways to stop shop lifters with out chasing them, alot of things can go wrong when you chase a shoplifter and the company can be held responsible for anything that happens to you or the shoplifter or and other people that may some how end up involved.

I am not even allowed to confront them unless I am 100 percent sure they have stolen something. I have to see them take it then not ever let them out of my sight not even for a second. If they never make it out of my sight I still can't confront them untill they walk outside because they could come up with a million reasons why they stuffed the steak down there pants and say they had all intentions of paying for it blah blah blah.

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Nothing ever happened if there is no one alive to complain about it.

black
    1998 Camaro Z/28

I understand where many are coming from, but lets look at this from a different angle.

Say a customer got hurt or got cut/stabbed from the guy he chased when he pulled the knife. So which one of you would be posting the hate and blame Walmart for not caring enough about its customers safety over products, etc, etc.

There are different reasons they have a no chase policy. However, I do think firing the guy is a bit extreme.

09 Vulcan 900 custom.
    2007 Subaru Legacy 2.5i
    1998 Z/28 Hardtop A4 | Y2K wheels | SLP Lid | Magnaflow catback |cutout | Hotchkis LCA'S/PHB | BMR TA and D/S Loop| Tuned by Frost....300rwhp/308rwtq

97 Cobra- bolt ons | full exhaust| 4.30's| suspension | SCT tune- sold!

Blue
    09 Nissan Altima

damn and i was at wal mart last night buying groceries...could have saved a bunch of money!!

Light Pewter Metallic
    y2k 8-cylinder catfish

When I worked for Sam's Club in Dallas during college, we had a shoplifter come running out of the store and one of the employees chased him down, tackled him in the parking lot and dragged his ass back inside the store. I worked the lot, so I saw the entire thing.

Black
    2005 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by 98Hardtop View Post
    I understand where many are coming from, but lets look at this from a different angle.

Say a customer got hurt or got cut/stabbed from the guy he chased when he pulled the knife. So which one of you would be posting the hate and blame Walmart for not caring enough about its customers safety over products, etc, etc.

There are different reasons they have a no chase policy. However, I do think firing the guy is a bit extreme.
    That exactly why most retailers have a no chase policy it's to high risk. It's cheap to let thousands of little thing get stolen than to pay out millions in a lawsuit.

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

This thread has made me think back and remember all my Clint Eastwood b/s things I have done with shoplifters and trouble people. These type situations are very very difficult to deal with. Like Jon stated though, there are several ways to go about "handling" them though.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Most store thieves are cowards. If they see a shit load of guys standing at the front of the store exit, looking at them, they will put the crap back. Mace works very well against knife welding shoplifters, so do batons. Even better Armed security.

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

Of course they are cowards...they are stealing

Thread Information