Vista gurus enter... sound problems

So I have my computer speakers hooked up and I also run an optical cable to my reciever so I can watch my downloaded shows on my tv and use my surround sound. Before it worked fine, but since I upgraded to vista, I now have to manually put the optical output to "set as default device" everyime I want to use it, and switch it back when I'm done. With XP, it broadcast audio to BOTH channels at the same time, ALL the time. Its just a small 5 second switch, but its still a pain in the ass. Is there a way to set vista to use BOTH at the same time?

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by grandkodiak View Post
    So I have my computer speakers hooked up and I also run an optical cable to my reciever so I can watch my downloaded shows on my tv and use my surround sound. Before it worked fine, but since I upgraded to vista, I now have to manually put the optical output to "set as default device" everyime I want to use it, and switch it back when I'm done. With XP, it broadcast audio to BOTH channels at the same time, ALL the time. Its just a small 5 second switch, but its still a pain in the ass. Is there a way to set vista to use BOTH at the same time?
    are you going through any program when you change the settings...like a second/third party software ? if so you can load and run that program with xp credentials and compatibility etc....also i hate to ask..but have you d/l'd the latest drivers for your sound?/motherboard

yea newest drivers all around. yea realtek hd audio manager, but its the same software that i was running on xp...settings are all the same as far as i can tell

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by grandkodiak View Post
    yea newest drivers all around. yea realtek hd audio manager, but its the same software that i was running on xp...settings are all the same as far as i can tell
    find the exe for the fire and right click it...then go to properties and then to the compatibility tab and make it run in xp mode
    ...i am assuming that this is the same version you were running on xp ?

dont think so its part of my motherboards driver package, i simply installed the vista ones instead of the xp ones. but even if i exit the program or tell it not to run when windows starts and use vistas audio devices settings (which is the same window the software brings you too anyway actually) it only lets you pick 1 as a default before it will "activate" yet if i hit test it will play on either even on the one that isnt set to default device... *shrugs* i hate you windows, why cant you have SMART OPTIONS.

Thread Information