Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Vick Indicted

Vick Indicted

RICHMOND, Va. (AP) --Atlanta Falcons quarterback Michael Vick was indicted Tuesday by a federal grand jury on charges related to illegal dogfighting.

Vick and three others are charged with competitive dogfighting, procuring and training pit bulls for fighting and conducting the enterprise across state lines.

The dogfighting operation was named "Bad Newz Kennels," according to the indictment, and the dogs were housed, trained and fought at a Surry County, Va., property owned by Vick.

The indictment alleges that the 27-year-old Vick and his co-defendants began a grisly dogfighting operation in early 2001 in which dogs fought to the death -- or close. Losing dogs were sometimes killed by electrocution, drowning, hanging or gunshots.

If convicted, Vick and the others -- Purnell A. Peace, Quanis L. Phillips and Tony Taylor -- could face up to six years in prison, $350,000 in fines and restitution.

Telephone messages left at the offices and home of Vick's attorney, Larry Woodward, were not immediately returned. A woman who answered the phone at the home of Vick's mother said the family knew nothing about the charges.

"We are disappointed that Michael Vick has put himself in a position where a federal grand jury has returned an indictment against him," NFL spokesman Brian McCarthy said.

"The activities alleged are cruel, degrading and illegal. Michael Vick's guilt has not yet been proven, and we believe that all concerned should allow the legal process to determine the facts."

After an initial raid in April, Vick said he was rarely at the house, had no idea it may have been used in a criminal enterprise and blamed family members for taking advantage of his generosity.

On Vick's Web site, he lists his birthplace as Newport News, "a.k.a. BadNews."

The four men were accused of "knowingly sponsoring and exhibiting an animal fighting venture" and conducting a business enterprise involving gambling, as well as buying, transporting and receiving dogs for the purposes of an animal fighting venture.

Purses for the fights ranged from hundreds of dollars to the thousands, and participants and spectators placed side bets, the document said.

About eight young dogs were put to death after they were found not ready to fight in April 2007. They were killed "by hanging, drowning and/or slamming at least one dog's body to the ground," according to the indictment.

The FBI and local authorities have been investigating the allegations since an April 25 drug raid at the property Vick owned.

Authorities seized 66 dogs, including 55 pit bulls, and equipment commonly used in dogfighting. About half the dogs were tethered to car axles with heavy chains that allowed the dogs to get close to each other, but not to have contact -- an arrangement typical for fighting dogs, according to the search warrant affidavit.

The indictment said dogfights were held at the Virginia property and dog owners brought animals from six states, including New York and Texas.

In a search warrant executed July 7, the government said the fights usually occurred late at night or in the early morning and would last several hours.

Before fights, participating dogs of the same sex would be weighed and bathed, according to the filings. Opposing dogs would be washed to remove any poison or narcotic placed on the dog's coat that could affect the other dog's performance.

Sometimes, dogs weren't fed to "make it more hungry for the other dog," it said.

I hope this guy gets it good. I find this incredibly disgusting.

f that f dogs, vick is the michael Vick experience.

The most graphic misconduct allegedly occurred not long before the first search of the property. According to paragraph 83 of the indictment, Vick, Peace, and Phillips executed in April 2007 approximately eight dogs that did not perform well in "testing" sessions, by "hanging, drowning, and slamming at least one dog's body to the ground."

In other words, in the same month in which Vick declared that he never goes to his Surry County property, and the same month in which he sat face-to-face with the Commissioner, Vick had (according to the indictment) participated in the killing of as many as eight dogs deemed unfit for fighting.
    That is pretty foul.

Quote Originally Posted by Danger731 View Post
    f that f dogs, vick is the michael Vick experience.
    That doesnt even make any sense.

Love buying generic GM's Nastyfoot's Avatar

Black, Black
    2011 "Generic" Gasser

When the prosecutor said he wasn't going to indicted and silence followed in the ensuing weeks, I had a petty good idea he'd be indicted.

They should lather his ass in lard and feed him to a pack of hungry pitbulls.......Friggin' scumbag

Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6

piece of stinking shit i hope he goes to jail and takes it in the ass every night

UberTapping Friction Pimp Anthracis's Avatar

18D Cock Diesel
    1999 Z28; 98 SS #2043 RIP

Hope he gets all he deserves!
    "I am the executioner. When a crime is committed and the exalted state does not take vengeance nor move to punish, then comes time for the executioner to declare himself. I have waited long enough. The criminals are hereby sentenced to death. By fire. By earth. By water."

Red
    98 Formula /93 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by derrinx View Post
    piece of stinking shit i hope he goes to jail and takes it in the ass every night

Another vote for that here.

Black
    2014 Camaro 1LS

nothing will happen .....some sort of probation at best hes got $$$$$$$

Quote Originally Posted by JesusFan View Post
    nothing will happen .....some sort of probation at best hes got $$$$$$$
    Dont know about that my man...with all of the bad ju-ju surrounding pro athletes these days...they might make an example out of him and actually do something...

At the very least, I can tell you that Goodell will probably suspend him from the NFL for at least a year.

I am hoping that he doesnt get off with a pat on the wrist. Unless he is related to Scooter Libby...

Black
    2014 Camaro 1LS

Quote Originally Posted by RavensFan19 View Post
    Dont know about that my man...with all of the bad ju-ju surrounding pro athletes these days...they might make an example out of him and actually do something...

At the very least, I can tell you that Goodell will probably suspend him from the NFL for at least a year.

I am hoping that he doesnt get off with a pat on the wrist. Unless he is related to Scooter Libby...

o I hope he gets what the avg joe would .....but doubt if it happens

BlackCherry
    Bad Ass 67 Camaro / 2010

If the NFL does not suspend him, then I will be highly disappointed.

I would end up getting in trouble for yelling foul things to him at the game.

primevil
    2000 FRC

All that fucking money and the idiot still AIN'T got no sense !!

Black
    2000 WS6

Quote Originally Posted by SleeperC5 View Post
    All that fucking money and the idiot still AIN'T got no sense !!

" You can take the man out of the ghetto..but you cannot take the ghetto out of the man "

primevil
    2000 FRC

no disrespect meant........ but.....

I don't care how much money or education you giv'em they don't freakin change or GROW UP !!
    Last edited by SleeperC5; 07-18-2007 at 07:49 AM.

Red
    06 GTO

some do, i grew up the same way, now i am in the military and completley changed how i lived. so dont say that nobody can change.

Red
    06 GTO

but vick is a piece of crap and i hope he gets put in jail and gets to cell with his buddy bubba.

primevil
    2000 FRC

Quote Originally Posted by ice97ta View Post
    some do, i grew up the same way, now i am in the military and completley changed how i lived. so dont say that nobody can change.
    As I said... no disrespect meant. Its just that some don't change.

Red
    06 GTO

its cool, its just you made it seem like everyone but its not all of us.

I just read that the judge who is going to be presiding (residing?) over this case has a history of exceeding the specific federal sentences in order to make examples of people. Bottom line - he isnt a very lenient or empathetic judge.

I wouldnt be surprised to see in a couple of weeks Goodell suspend Vick for the season...or if he doesnt do it...Arthur Blank and the Falcons put vick on the backburner for the season so he doesnt become a distraction.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information