Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Uti

Black With T-Tops
    96 Z28 M6

Uti

I am thinking about going to UTI starting in september. Has anyone here been there? How did you like it? How was it ect. ect.

White
    2003 Ram 2500

DO NOT GO to any of those schools. Go to a reall college you will be so much better off.
    Last edited by transam98; 01-28-2008 at 02:38 PM.

Another day Another 5th ARM5280's Avatar

Black
    Murdered 2006 GMC Sierra

Urinary tract infections suck

Black
    2005 GTO

Can't remember what the name is but there is a nascar school in NC. Seeing that ARM5280 is from there reminded me, just can't remember the name. I know of two guys I graduated with went there one is actually on a nascar truck team I believe I heard he changes the one of the tires but makes like 100k a year at the age of 23-24 doing it. The other is a tech at local mercedes dealership seems to be doing really well, has a house, truck and a jet ski so he must be getting paid well. Really wish I had went.

white
    90 Mustang 5.0

This is my opinion on schools. They are very expensive and some of them under deliver on what they claim they do. But on the other hand, these schools are only gonna get you as far as you want them to. You have to apply yourself and really work hard at it. You are gonna learn SOME things, specially if you dont know anything which you probably don't. Even if you think you do, trust me. you don't lol The thing that people dont understand is that a lot of being a technician and a good one is jus the practical experience, trial and error and working with guys that have been in it a long time and know what they are doing. When you are at a school they are gonna show you basics and how to do one kind of thing multiple times. A lot of this time only one or 2 guys might grasp the concept or get the opportunity to really get good at it jus because theres gonna be more then just you in these classes. So ask as many damn questions as you want, who gives a fuck if some kid gets annoyed on account of it.

Be careful of what schools you pick. I for one DO NOT recommend Lincoln Tech. The shit they teach you is soooo outdated, there classes have no relevance to anything current and they will teach you like how to jus take apart and put one part of a car back together. I've heard that Wyo tech is a joke if you wanna be a dealer tech, but good for auto body. I'd say that UTI is the best if you are looking to go to a dealer and insist on going to one of these schools as they have specific factory sponsored programs and factory training is the best there is cause its completely relevant to cars out right now.

However I've found that the best thing to do is to go to your local votech during high school, learn all the basic things on how to service a car, and REALLY pay attention to the electrical end of it. Then after the votech, get your foot in the door at a dealer as a lube tech and push yourself to advance. The best learning there is, is the learning you get on the job. If you haven't figured it out yet, this is what i did. I know more then MOST of these kids coming out of these schools and I don't have tons of student loans to pay off. These schools cost around 25k now. These schools often dont get you the starting rates they make you think they are gonna get you. All those promises of 100k in like a year or 2 after attending their school are fucking bullshit. Don't let them sell you that bs line.

Awaiting Activation

Pewter Metallic
    2002 Trans Am WS6 M6 D1SC

A friend of mine graduated from UTI this year and is going to work for Porsche and another one of my friends is going there this year. I have heard a lot of good things but the best thing to do is to talk to people who have graduated from there and see what they though. Just do a lot of research too. BTW the Exton UTI is 5 minutes from my house and 3 times a day it sounds like a swarm of bees coming down the road cause most of the dudes that go there have primered shit mobiles with 5in fart cans. Good luck man.

White
    2003 Ram 2500

I spent two years at my local JR. college and got the basic in auto. Then I went to SIUC for some marketing/managment classes for a year. After that I wanted to get into the high performance side of automotive well I enrolled in NADC and spent 6 months their.

I hated that school and every thing about it they screwed my over from the start. They made me take all the basic classes again and after 6 months there I couldnt take it. All the teachers there are Ex Techs that could no longer make it in the dealerships. They had no clue how to teach a class most of the teachers were power hungry and would hand out points for no reason just to make your grade go down at the end of class.

IMO find a real 4 year college that has automotive and enroll in it your will be so much better off. yeah you have to take gen classes at a college but they will help you I promise. You dont get to take classes like that and UTI, NADC, ETC. Plus there are no girls at these type of schools. LOL

white
    90 Mustang 5.0

Quote Originally Posted by transam98 View Post
    I spent two years at my local JR. college and got the basic in auto. Then I went to SIUC for some marketing/managment classes for a year. After that I wanted to get into the high performance side of automotive well I enrolled in NADC and spent 6 months their.

I hated that school and every thing about it they screwed my over from the start. They made me take all the basic classes again and after 6 months there I couldnt take it. All the teachers there are Ex Techs that could no longer make it in the dealerships. They had no clue how to teach a class most of the teachers were power hungry and would hand out points for no reason just to make your grade go down at the end of class.

IMO find a real 4 year college that has automotive and enroll in it your will be so much better off. yeah you have to take gen classes at a college but they will help you I promise. You dont get to take classes like that and UTI, NADC, ETC. Plus there are no girls at these type of schools. LOL
    small correction, there are SOME girls at those schools, but not the ones you'd wanna hook up with anyways. Fixed

White
    2003 Ram 2500

LOL and that is so true.

Everything fiberglass
    2005 Amberlamps

I've seen the commercials. Apparently you work on cars or something.

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

This school blows! They promise you this and that, and you don't get shit. They say how you can do this and that but they don't tell you about the fine print!!! They tell you the cost of living and what you will need to start, then you get there and spend all your saved money on shit you were not supposed to have to pay for. All of the teachers are has beens~! Either they couldn't cut it, or they hated it so now they teach it and they don't give a fuck! Don't go there. You can get the same training at a local school. This school is all hyped up with shiny eye catching advertisements! Thats it!!!

white
    90 Mustang 5.0

Quote Originally Posted by 9t8z28 View Post
    This school blows! They promise you this and that, and you don't get shit. They say how you can do this and that but they don't tell you about the fine print!!! They tell you the cost of living and what you will need to start, then you get there and spend all your saved money on shit you were not supposed to have to pay for. All of the teachers are has beens~! Either they couldn't cut it, or they hated it so now they teach it and they don't give a fuck! Don't go there. You can get the same training at a local school. This school is all hyped up with shiny eye catching advertisements! Thats it!!!
    my point exactly, lots of local votechs, and community colleges offer the factory training. Shit votech was a 2 yr program i went to in hs for free!

WS6 Rice Extermination MaxPlusTen's Avatar

Medium Quazar Blue
    1997 Trans Am LT1

I cant attest for UTI although i did tour it... i can tell you beyond the reason of a doubt though to STAY AWAY from WyoTech... the school truely is empty promises... I attended the one in Blairsville for a year (core autmotive, street rod, and buisness administration) They promise you a 2 year associates degree for the buisness administration that they claim is transferable. IT ISNT! and in all technicality its not a real associates degree. Im going on 2 years out of school and they still havent placed me in the field (i did on my own but thats only because i knew the people to go too and using skills that wyotech only helped a little) The closest job offer wyotech found me was in lower virginia near roanoke after i specifically said i wasnt willing to relocate (which they say isnt a problem). The automotive program is a joke. Half the equiptment at the blairsville location is broken, never worked to begin with, or is obsolete. The newest car they had to train us on was a 99 Eclipse... most, if not all the cars were messed up beyond repair. I can honestly say Street Rod was the only program i got anything out of in my time there. They have in some way seperated themselves from what goes on in the rest of that school but the custom paint and sheet metal fabrication were excellent... not to say perfect... there working on it still... but trust me... theres better places out there to learn all that. Honestly, your best bet, talk to students who have graduated and trust what they tell you. With anything though it is what you make of it, if you can go into it with already knowing a ton about cars...then you come out with the name backing you and thats how people get good jobs. If you dont know anything or little prior... your chances are slim because they wont teach you what you need to know to get jobs with the big name manufactures. Out of my original class of 70 (yes classes are rediculously croweded and 1 on 1 training dosent exist) i know of about 5 that actually have decent jobs in the field. I know of atleast 30, including myself that are now attending universitys or community colleges. Just be careful whatever you do, do your reasearch before you sign up because its alot of money to just piss away... wish i had a time machine

Miss Pennsylvania ls1blackbeauty98's Avatar

'98 Black Gone :(
    01 WS6 Midnight Blue

the profession ure looking to get into *im assuming ure going there to be a car technician?* is a hard profession.... ure gonna pay out the ass to go to that school...and when ure done ure going to get into a dealerhship atmosphere *dont let the school tell u that ure gonna be on a pit crew for nascar or some shit like that they tell people to get them in the school* u are going to be at THE BOTTOM, and i mean literally bottom of the pole after school in a shop... flat rate is tough, and the guys get very cut throat. you have to bust your ass to make ur hours, take the shitty jobs when they come without complaint and fix shit right the first time, its not a profession i would suggest for anyone that has a "weak" heart. if ure mechanically inclined u have an advantage but if ure just looking to work on cars because u think its "fun" then i wouldnt even waste my money on UTI or any other school like that... because once u work on cars ALL DAY EVERY DAY and its not adding HP or tuning a sick vette....when ites SES lights, brake pulsation and oil changes it gets old... trust me.

WS6 Rice Extermination MaxPlusTen's Avatar

Medium Quazar Blue
    1997 Trans Am LT1

Quote Originally Posted by ls1blackbeauty98 View Post
    the profession ure looking to get into *im assuming ure going there to be a car technician?* is a hard profession.... ure gonna pay out the ass to go to that school...and when ure done ure going to get into a dealerhship atmosphere *dont let the school tell u that ure gonna be on a pit crew for nascar or some shit like that they tell people to get them in the school* u are going to be at THE BOTTOM, and i mean literally bottom of the pole after school in a shop... flat rate is tough, and the guys get very cut throat. you have to bust your ass to make ur hours, take the shitty jobs when they come without complaint and fix shit right the first time, its not a profession i would suggest for anyone that has a "weak" heart. if ure mechanically inclined u have an advantage but if ure just looking to work on cars because u think its "fun" then i wouldnt even waste my money on UTI or any other school like that... because once u work on cars ALL DAY EVERY DAY and its not adding HP or tuning a sick vette....when ites SES lights, brake pulsation and oil changes it gets old... trust me.
    2nd that... i did the technician thing for awhile and it blows... luckly my custom paint took off but not everyone gets lucky like that...and i knew the right people... otherwise id probably still be turning wrenches.

White
    2003 Ram 2500

3rd all of that. I also did the dealership I know the shop manager he needed some help with part time work so I told him I would come in on my days off from my other job. Right there is when I learned I hated working on cars other then my own. Right now I am working at SI Performance in So. IL

Green
    94 Camaro 3.4

Former UTI guy here.

First thing you need to know going in.... they are money grubbing ASSHOLES who do NOT care about you at fucking all.

As for the friend making it into porche... He should feel really proud... since he was one of the 42 UTI students NATIONWIDE that get accepted into that program. When they tell you the numbers for the manufacturers programs, keep in mind that those numbers are not from your campus, but for ALL of them. On average 2-3 students per class make the cut for any of the manu programs. So that means if you want any chance of that, you have to be at the top of your class, perfect attendance, good reviews from teachers, no disipline hits(professionalism, ha) and so on.

The students on the whole are fucking morons, most of them being ricers, some rotorheads, and some v8 guys. About in that order. Some of the teachers are good, and some of them blow donkey nuts. The courses are good however, and if you try, you can learn everything you need to know to work on cars. The key is, you have to REALLY fucking want it, and try everyday. Otherwise, kiss that 23 grand(or whatever they are charging nowadays) goodbye, because you just wasted it.

Also, keep in mind that having a job while you are going to this school is nearly impossible... considering the school takes up.... like 32 hours a week or so if I remember correctly. I worked part time at 711 while I went there, and omg, 64 hours a week, and barely being able to make ends meet sucks ASS.

My suggestion, if you really want the knowledge, find someone who is selling their textbook... the textbook kicks serious ass, and even if you do end up going, the FIRST thing you need to do is read that sucker from front to back, in your free time. You will have a leg up on everyone else the rest of the year. Trust me, I did. I had a 4.0 the entire time I was there... and a perfect score on ALL my labs the entire time. I was the top of my class.... and where did it get me? Fucking nowhere.

Trust me, they don't really want to help you, they want to take a shitload of money from you. Thats all. Do yourself a favor, go to a real 4 year college, and buy the UTI book. You will learn way more, get a real degree, spend less money, and enjoy your experiance WAAAY more. Dont make my mistake, I've been regretting it for 4 years.

Black With T-Tops
    96 Z28 M6

See the thing is me and some friends want to go to UTI for the 14 months learn more about cars (more for the performance side) and come back and start on a performance shop.

White
    2003 Ram 2500

Good luck I dont see it happening not from UTI. If you and your friends are going to start it yourselfs you will need marketing and managment classes which UTI does not offer.

eating bulldog
    son of biscuit

its true ..they are money hungry..wtf is up with a 50 dollar fee to "reserve" a spot

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information