Cortez Silver
    1969 Camaro RS

?Upgrade to Vista?

I purchased a new computer in December and was eligible for a free Vista upgrade. Well, fast forward to now, I have the upgrade disc and was wandering if anybody else has upgraded their computer from XP to Vista?

I have transferred my old files from my old computer and added some pretty cool stuff since purchasing the computer. Now I am going to have to put all this stuff on a disc or something and then install Vista. Is it worth the trouble? I use XP at work and just wandering if anybody else has done the upgrade and if it was worth the trouble and roughly 4 hours.

What is the advantages of the new Vista over the old XP?

Thanks

Black
    2004 Z06

Quote Originally Posted by wildkatz View Post
    I purchased a new computer in December and was eligible for a free Vista upgrade. Well, fast forward to now, I have the upgrade disc and was wandering if anybody else has upgraded their computer from XP to Vista?

I have transferred my old files from my old computer and added some pretty cool stuff since purchasing the computer. Now I am going to have to put all this stuff on a disc or something and then install Vista. Is it worth the trouble? I use XP at work and just wandering if anybody else has done the upgrade and if it was worth the trouble and roughly 4 hours.

What is the advantages of the new Vista over the old XP?

Thanks
    Once you get the hang of Vista you won't go back to XP.

When you upgrade to Vista, your entire previous XP OS is saved to a Windows.old folder for easy access to programs and all of your files.

Vista takes about a half hour to install depending on your RAM.

Before installing Vista run the Upgrade Advisor to see how your hardware & programs will fare with Vista.

Be careful to note which hardware & programs are *compatible* or *exceed*.

You will find out soon enough that Vista requires hardware that is fast and I recommend 2G's of memory.

I'm using 1.5 G's of PC3200 OCZ Platinum DDR and it is just tolerable where on XP it was blazing.

Vista has many performance parameters & adjustment that allow you to constantly check your system and advise you.

My rating at the moment is 4.5 which is about upper mid performance due to my memory & CPU which is a 3.2E/1M/800 and graphics program which I imagine the AGP is the culprit since my Graphics card which is a 6600 GT OC is rating 5.2

Vista works fabulous on DUO/QUAD 64 Bit SLI or PCI-E platform and my opinion is that it was deveolped with this in mind.

Thread Information