Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: unemployed...

Blue GMC Canyon
    trans ams gone now

unemployed...

been without a job for 3 months now. getting pissed that i cant find anything that pays more than $10 an hour. i make more than that on umemployment. and as far as that goes i've only got one real job offer and they acted like they didnt even want me. used to be easy to get on with a contractor and work at the refineries here but now they are laying off like crazy. i keep fighting but this is draining

Impounded
    gmcheviac

Good ole Hussein is making the oil situation even worse now.. Good luck.

^whole family in oil biz

Black/Black/Black
    2000 Camaro SS Vert #5301

Went from $30/hr at Boeing to $15/hr and now at $7.25/hr at a parts store. At least I have a couple of retirements to help.
    2000 SS vert, #5301, triple black, A4, leather, 3.23,SLP lid & D/D, STB, chrome 5 spokes
    USN '64-'88
    #3 1951-2001

www.fquick.com/planemech2

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

It's tough as nails man. I was going insane. At my 3 month mark I picked up a job...phew. I will get full medical coverage in 4 months too.

I'm thankful for sure. Stick with it.

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

That's the thing about unemployment, use it too long and it looks really bad to future employers. No one wants to hire a lazy ass, someone with excuses or someone that takes advantage of the system. I'm not saying you're doing this i'm just saying in general. IMO it should only be used for a few months max during an unexpected lay off.

Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Been w/o a job now for 6 months. Made my money when I had the time (highschool summer vacation) and also worked a little in college. Invested the $ and I got well above market returns. Currently I am getting 36% interest on my $ annually. I feel...lucky
    "Life is to short to drive a slow car"

Gone but not forgoten: 1998 Pontiac Trans Am M6 "The Black Bandit"
    Bought- 11-18-05
    Sold- 10-14-08

Green
    1996 Acura Integra

OP stick in there, stay motivated and positive. If you can it might be better to take two $10 hr jobs than to be out of work for too long especially if you can get any type of medical.

white
    2000 Z28

6 month mark just passed. trying to ride out unemployment as long as possible because the lack of well paying jobs that are looking for someone with no experience in their field.

Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

At times like this I am actually happy I am in college. Because lets face it any recession/depression is always followed by some kind of economical boom. And when that happens I will be landing a great job...or so I hope

Everything fiberglass
    2005 Amberlamps

Quote Originally Posted by rajiv1998 View Post
    At times like this I am actually happy I am in college. Because lets face it any recession/depression is always followed by some kind of economical boom. And when that happens I will be landing a great job...or so I hope
    hahahah

Impounded
    gmcheviac

lets see. Great Depression 1929-WW2 or so. Lets say 1941. This depression 2008 or so-????. Even if it is followed by an economic boom, we still have a ways to go.
    Also, old farts don't die anymore. They live forever. So all the college edumacated kids can't get jobs.

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

I thank God I still have a good paying job (and I'm an Atheist!!!!). Lucky for me I've only had to change jobs 1 time (when peace broke out in 92 - and then into a job where my skills were relevant) in 32 years...
    67 Camaro: K-K + 797-z (look it up), 454/Th400/4.10 12-bolt = 6mpg, PS/PDB/PW tilt, tach, gauges...

2005 Corvette LS2/M6 Magnetic Red Metallic (What else would it be?) w/ Cashmere interior

2002 Z28: NBM/Tan, MTI smooth lid, smooth bellows, !AIR, !cats, 1-3/4" QTP SS LT's, 2-1/2" TD's with X-pipe, MagnaFlows dumped at axle, custom welded SFC's, MidWest Chassis body mount adjustable T/A, 3400 stall, 3.23 gears (was 2.73). Tuned: 343rwhp/357rwt (before TD's). Best: 12.559 @ 108+, 1.73 60' @ 3500' DA w/MT ET Street DR's.

Carbon footprint? CLOWN SHOE!

Blue GMC Canyon
    trans ams gone now

i live an hour away from any real civilization it seems. the only places out here that hire are for nurses. im online all day every day because nobody seems to actually have a paper application to fill out anymore. when i do go into town to see who's hiring i always get told that they are slow and not looking for anyone right now. about to start classes july 10th for my NCCER certification in safety and health and then in august im gonna start classes for my Associates Degree in OSHA Safety and Health. if i can land a few turnaround jobs at the plants for a while then i could make $18 to $30 an hour. but it's in no way guaranteed. i had to fill out an application for autozone online yesterday that took 2 fucking hours! they want your life's history to pay $10 per hour! wtf! should find out saturday if our house will sell. when it does we are moving closer into town again to avoid wasting so much gas

Pewter
    2002 Z28 (sold)

Sorry to hear that. I was in your shoes not to long ago. I got laid off from my job after 10 yrs at one place, I have been working straight for the last 20 yrs. When I got laid off, I was devistated. I had no idea what to do with myself. My wife and I were on the computer for nearly 12 hours a day sending resume upon resume upon resume. In total, we must have sent out 1,200 resume. I finally landed a decent job just before my 3 month mark. I just did the math, my wife and I sent out about 30 resumes a day for at least 70 days, and that is a total of 2,100 resumes. Basically you have got to flood the system.

My suggestion to you, keep it up and don't falter on the resumes/applications. What ever you do, do NOT go into an interview with the slightest of chips on your shoulder. I lost out on two awesome jobs because of that. Once I figured that out, I had a job in about two weeks.

its short but its skinny. jiveass's Avatar

pewter
    99 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by bandit95 View Post
    been without a job for 3 months now. getting pissed that i cant find anything that pays more than $10 an hour. i make more than that on umemployment. and as far as that goes i've only got one real job offer and they acted like they didnt even want me. used to be easy to get on with a contractor and work at the refineries here but now they are laying off like crazy. i keep fighting but this is draining
    yea man you need to move closer into the city...theres a lot of hiddin opportunities here that pay pretty well

Awaiting Activation

You could also quit letting me pay your unemployment and find a job that pays money while looking for a better job. I read the other day that a lot of places aren't hiring people that are unemployed, they want someone that's in a job, no matter what that job is. Plus the whole leeching on society thing.

primevil
    2000 FRC

Quote Originally Posted by needls1again View Post
    yea man you need to move closer into the city...theres a lot of hiddin opportunities here that pay pretty well
    I was thinking the same thing.... There's gotta be some good paying jobs in Houston ! Granted, Beaumont is about 2 - 2 1/2 hours away.... And lots of luck to the OP ! keep your head up bud !

pewter
    99 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by SleeperC5 View Post
    I was thinking the same thing.... There's gotta be some good paying jobs in Houston ! Granted, Beaumont is about 2 - 2 1/2 hours away.... And lots of luck to the OP ! keep your head up bud !
    sleeper, you from houston?

pewter
    99 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by Grimpala View Post
    You could also quit letting me pay your unemployment and find a job that pays money while looking for a better job. I read the other day that a lot of places aren't hiring people that are unemployed, they want someone that's in a job, no matter what that job is. Plus the whole leeching on society thing.
    i can't agree with this totally....if i get fired or laid off, damn right im gonna get unemployment...i've paid in enough to get somethin out of it...and i can understand not wanting a low paying job when i was makin twice as much or more most of the time i been workin....if unemployment pays me more than what the job is offerin, then thats the route im goin.

Blue GMC Canyon
    trans ams gone now

Quote Originally Posted by Grimpala View Post
    dont worry. obama is looking to fix that for you. until then i'll take care of my family with what I'VE put in! i'm not the bum that sits on the porch soaking up welfare, i'm the guy who has a family to take care of, is looking diligently for a good job, and i'm getting more of an education to take care of my family in the future. if you wanted to bitch about something then go the welfare forums. i'm sure they have just what your looking for

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information