Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior Member FuxOnTheFirstDate's Avatar

Shit

Type of Liquor = Severity of Hangover?

I've wondered about this before but I thought I'd ask some more experienced drinkers. I know that beer gives me horrible hangovers and the darker the beer, the worse the hangover. But what about wine, champagne, or hard liquor? I've never been drunk off of these and I'm curious as to how bad the hangover is. I would think it would be less severe because 5 shots is far less to consume than 5 beers but I don't know.

YOW Pookie's gone postal! Motrv8d Steve's Avatar

Black
    1998 Camaro Z28

tequila is by far the worst hangover I've ever had.
    Watch it with that stuff. Killer Diller.

Impulse Blue Matallic
    2005 GTO

Beer kills me. Clear spririts like Vodka and Rum leave me fine in the morning. A lot of hangover prevention can be linked to what you do before you start drinking and how long you drink for.

Sebring Silver
    2000 CamaroSS

Quote Originally Posted by FuxOnTheFirstDate
    I would think it would be less severe because 5 shots is far less to consume than 5 beers but I don't know.
    Question; "Aren't spirits more potent than wine or beer?"

Answer; They are higher in alcohol content than wine or beer, but a 4-ounce glass of wine or a 12-ounce can of beer have the same alcohol by volume as a 1.5-ounce of a regular distilled spirit. When a mix, water or ice are added there may actually be less alcohol in the glass.

Handy tips from a pro;

Any liquor made from sugar will give you a wicked bad head.

Multi distilled spirits contain the least amount of shit in them that will give you a wicked bad head.

Jaegermeister is Vicks Formula 44 in a fancy bottle with a fancy price.

Never mix them up. Drink beer or drink spirits, but do only one for the duration.

Limit your intake. Yeah you looked cool doing the fifth beer bong, but you really looked like ass when you puked on the girl that wanted to blow you.

Two Goody or BC powders before bed will help, a half warm beer the next morning will take off the edge.

Wine is for dinner or for fags.

Have fun!
    Last edited by rbob93; 06-05-2006 at 02:56 PM.

white
    90 Mustang 5.0

i find that i get a worse hangover off of certain beers, if i am jus drinking beer vs jus drinking hard stuff. but if i mix the 2 its worse. as far as beers go a certain beer called dogfishhead 90 minute ipa comes to mind 9 percent alcohol. this will make ur head sing jus drinkin it before u even go to sleep. bud makes me poop like a motherfucker the next day. most golden beers ill get a headahce. i think hangovers more then anything are determind on body weight, food in your system, tolerance, duration, and quantity. one good way to avoid a hangover is to not go right to bed during a night of drinking. if you go to sleep drunk your gonna hurt. stay up, and sober up drinking water or soda and eat something. theres a good chance you wont have anything more then feeling weak and having a shitty taste in your mouth come morning.

1966 Corvette Coupe

im not totally sure about the cemical reasons behind a hang over... some say dehydration, but im not sure about that because budlight gives me a wicked hang over, but miller light doesnt... see nothing really that different between alchohol vs. water content... and hard liqour doesnt really hurt me that bad...

and i used to drink whisky all day long... black lable soco no mixer... i mean if i had a meal straight high sugar 50% alcohol so co... all day every day for about 3 months... never ever ever felt bad untill i just went WAY too far one night... so i just dont get the dehydration thing...

never had a hang over off of straight vodka... (i dont like mixed drinks)... the worst hang over ive EVER had was whisky sours... i felt horrid... i was sick and dizzy for 2 days and didnt really drink that many...

to avoid them i try to stay awake and get some water in me... and i always have bc powder and powerade on hand...

-me

Buckeyes fan for Life OSU Buckeyes's Avatar
    Powerade does the trick, add some subway to it and ur fine. get up and drink a beer works too, puts the alcohol back into ur system and starts taking away the hangover.

White
    '10 ZR1

As crazy as this sounds.......if I'm in a bar that is smokey, often times I'll have a worse hang over than if it's not. Food for thought.

BIGRED Z
    Beer before liquor....never sicker. This is b/c the carbonation (in beer)increases absorbency of alcohol.

Liquor before beer....you're in the clear.

Hangovers can be described as alcohol withdrawl, which is why some say to drink a beer first thing in the am so you have alcohol back in your system, thereby reducing the effects of the hangover. Alcohol also depletes a lot of Vitamin stores in the body. Someone already mentioned that the size of the drink doesn't matter, it's the volume of alcohol in the drink that matters.

Hardcore alcoholics get IV fluids with a lot of the B vitamins in them. Consequently, I take of few Vit B tabs if I drink too much. Drinking a lot of water helps before bed so you don't wake up with that "I just ate the ass end of a cat" feeling

Lastly, I'd rather have a bottle-in-front-of-me than a frontal lobotomy.

Lori

meanZ97
    i do know one thing though. stay away from seafood before you decide to drink. seafood and alcohol do not mix.

Future Super Trooper Mr. CarelessAndImprudent's Avatar
    '69 Camaro

I usually have the best luck if I wake up and I'm still a little drunk. I get some food in me and I'm ready to go in an hour or two.

White
    '10 ZR1

another thought.........alcohol contains what is called 'fusel oil(s)'........fusels are often what contributes to the headaches and hang overs we get.....look it up!

Edit: Okay, so I looked it up for you...... http://homedistiller.org/wiki/index.php/Fusel_oils
    Last edited by FasstChevys; 06-05-2006 at 08:49 PM.

Mystic Teal Metallic
    1998 Z-28, 2010 SS

The drunkest I have ever been is on a fifth and a half of Tequila (straight), topped off by a few grams of hash. It's been thirty years now and it is still the most wasted I have ever been. Got the dry heaves and the only thing left to throw up was my nuts and I thought they were gone too.

I have been totally shit faced alot of other times, but that one takes the cake.

BIGRED Z
    Quote Originally Posted by meanZ97
    i do know one thing though. stay away from seafood before you decide to drink. seafood and alcohol do not mix.
    Talk about a crab ass.... The absolute worst is bloomin onions and lots of beer. Wow you don't wanna be there the next day for that!

Lori

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

I know drinking top shelf vodka (ie.Grey Goose, Belvidere) helps tremendously over the rest.

Senior Member FuxOnTheFirstDate's Avatar

Shit
    Good tips, thanks. I've also heard that if you drink a beer and then a glass of water, beer, glass of water, that you won't get a hangover or it will be greatly reduced. My preference for fun remains illegal so I can't go to a bar and do that with my friends.

Silver
    1997 C5 Corvette

To reiterate above statments and add my .02

Drink lots of water before you pass out and when you wake up...the brain swells when its dehydrated and causes your headache. I can't believe I didn't learn this until a few years ago.

Stay away from sugar alcohol = bad hangover. Tequila is actually really good to me, AS LONG AS YOU DRINK 100% AGAVE. If you get Jose Cuervo or other cheap crap, its cut with sugar alcohol and WILL give you a hangover. Drink Cabo Wabo, Don Julio, etc and you'll be in much better shape, just like good vodka.

Beer will dehydrate you and make you piss a lot. If you must drink beer, try something that's a bit heavier (Guinness, Sam Adams, etc) in the winter or Corona (no hops) in the summer. Light beers, cheap beers or the bud family seem to cause huge hangovers for most.

If you're drinking in hot weather, try to alternate beer/alcohol with water to prevent dehydration and hangovers.

Wine will give you a quick buzz...stick with white wines for minimal hangover.

Worst hangover ever?

Tie between Evan Williams and Aristocrat vodka.

Yeah, I woke up covered in my own puke in the dorm showers after drinking an entire handle of aristocrat.

Quote Originally Posted by FuxOnTheFirstDate
    Good tips, thanks. I've also heard that if you drink a beer and then a glass of water, beer, glass of water, that you won't get a hangover or it will be greatly reduced. My preference for fun remains illegal so I can't go to a bar and do that with my friends.
    if it was legal, i'd smoke the finest green every day.

so much better than alcohol.

the most fun buzz ive had is MDMA, but dont do it too much, it screws up your memory.

I did about 50 tablets in college, i still have memory problems. makes sex great though.

black
    98 z28 m6

I found 1 thing that really helps out is to (if your not too wasted and can remember) chug a glass of water right before you go to sleep/pass out. Its made me feel so much better the next morning...especially on those long nights.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information