Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Black
    00 camaro ss M6 #6695

Turbo diesel trucks!

What's up everyone, how you all doing...
    I hope I'm not on the wrong section!
    So lately I have decided to sell my SS. And Noe I want to buy a truck.
    I really like the f250 turbo diesel. I know this is not a ford site. But maybe someone had any experience with this trucks.
    So I heard people complaining about having many issues with this trucks.
    Is this true? What kind of issues?
    I'm thinking on gettin one from 04-06 4 doors. I don't need to haul anything I just want it to drive it on the weekends.

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Whatever you get, make it bellow black smoke. Then take it to the drag strip to show off your awesome truck.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Stay away from the 6 liter trucks......POS engine. Spend the extra coin & get a duramax. Not only for the engine but also for the allison. Get an 06. 8th vin digit D which is an LBZ.
    Last edited by 0rion; 12-12-2012 at 06:21 PM.

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

I 2nd the Duramax.

Liquid Red
    2008 Pontiac G8 GT

I hate to say the "D" word around here but Dodge Ram Cummins trucks are pretty damn good trucks.

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

12v Cummins

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by Red97GTP View Post
    I hate to say the "D" word around here but Dodge Ram Cummins trucks are pretty damn good trucks.
    the whole truck or just the engine? The cummins itself is a great engine....the dodge truck.....not so much. It's like a gold coin wrapped in a turd.

red
    95 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    the whole truck or just the engine? The cummins itself is a great engine....the dodge truck.....not so much. It's like a gold coin wrapped in a turd.

Yeah pretty much this. Great engine, otherwise waaaaay behind. And as 0rion also said, the 6 liter Ford had alot of issues. The best engine from then to now has been the duramax, and it has the best transmission behind it to boot. If you were looking brand new, the new Dmax trucks are absolutely raping the competition. They kill the new Ford in every performance aspect. And despite Dodge upping the ratings on the cummins (Like Ford did to try to outperform outperform the Dmax ), the cummins trucks arent running that great either.

Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

Like the others have said the 6.0 had problems. I know people who had good luck with them and no issues but there are many horror stories. The ford 7.3 is what ford diesel fans want and they kept it as an option a couple years after the 6.0 came out because it was such a great engine.

Mystic Teal Metallic:320c
    1998 Camaro Z/28

the 6.0s have head issues but ive heard through a ford truck buddy of mine that if you do an egr bypass and something else(not sure) then you should be in the clear or maybe it was just the egr bypass/delete

Gone:2001 Camaro SS #4846

Quote Originally Posted by robs98mysticZ View Post
    the 6.0s have head issues but ive heard through a ford truck buddy of mine that if you do an egr bypass and something else(not sure) then you should be in the clear or maybe it was just the egr bypass/delete
    The other thing is ARP head studs.

So...

What you guys are saying that makes the GM trucks good is all the non-GM hardware? (Isuzu engine and Allison transmission)

Arctic White, red/gray

Quote Originally Posted by robs98mysticZ View Post
    I think the 6.0 problem was blown up a bit. Mainly due to the fact that diesels are supposed to last for 300-500k miles and people were having some 6.0 failures before 100k. This is not supposed to happen in diesel world. I have only had two friends with the 6.0 diesel, both trucks now have over 120k and both have had no engine issues. That doesn't mean there aren't many others who have had major problems and wish they had never bought the trucks.

Arctic White, red/gray

Quote Originally Posted by CJREX View Post

So...

What you guys are saying that makes the GM trucks good is all the non-GM hardware? (Isuzu engine and Allison transmission)
    Lol no, there is more to a truck than engine and transmission, everyone except dodge knows that. The duramax is one amazing engine though, it is a 32 valve SINGLE cam OHV engine.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

So...

I'd rather them farm it out and get it right.....the ford, dodge, GM argument will always be there. People have their preferences. I honestly looked at all 3 makes with an open mind before buying mine. I did a ton of reading and test drove all 3 plus I test drove a 7.3. All around with everything considered the GM kicks their ass. It costs more but you get a better truck so you're at least getting what you pay for. Looking at fuel mileage, towing capacity, power, reliability, and response to mods and the GM wins. The GM is far from perfect....but for me at least when you factor everything in the GM is a better truck. I'm not saying GM wins all those categories either....I'm saying I looked at the big picture and what fit me best was the GM.

White
    '10 ZR1

As others have said, stay away from the 6.0 liter Fords.....their track record is not good. I have a friend who owns a substantially large electrical contracting business that went through three 6.0 liter engines - each failing at ~30,000 miles. Yes, they were under warranty...but, really?? So, three engines before ~100K miles.

If you go with a Duramax, try to find an '03 - '04. They had the least injector problems, and typically got the best fuel mileage. Be careful modifying the Duramax though - once you get past ~150 additional horsepower, that Allison just doesn't like it, unless you upgrade it, or find one with an upgraded Allison transmission.

Good luck! Those are my experiences!
    Last edited by FasstChevys; 12-13-2012 at 01:34 PM. Reason: spell check :D

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

So...

Funny how the Isuzu at work has a 6.0 GM block.

Black
    00 camaro ss M6 #6695

Wow I'm glad I asked you guys for info before I made the mistake on buying a for truck! They look great all around but I need something reliable and not making me spend so much money so often.
    I love the silverado duramax. I am a BIG fan of silverados. And I'm sure I will be happy with the truck.
    So I'll be looking at 03-05 since they are cheaper. Plus if you guys recommend a 03-04 is even better.
    So now a few more questions.
    What's the maintenance on diesel trucks?
    Oil, filters, and all that. Is it similar to gas motors??
    For my understanding diesel don't require emission test right?

98 Formula
    06 duramax

my personal opinion is 06 is the best duramax but I'm biased.....no real problems with the injectors, makes more power than the previous years, and is the last year before dpf. Also has the 6 speed Allison. The tranny cooler lines are known to leak and you have to watch for pump rub on the transfer case. I still haven't done that fix on mine yet but I need too....pretty common issue. Maintenance is a little more expensive for diesels but not crazy.....fuel filter is really about the only added cost but the filters are kinda pricey ~$45. I do my fuel filter every other oil change. Oil....price escapes me right off the top of my head and I just did a change too. I want to say it was about $45 with a filter for rotella T. If you're hauling though you get that money back easily in gas mileage vs a gas engine. Another thing I was going to point out was not to buy the 6L gas engine 2500.....they're major gas hogs. If you do that you're better off getting a 1500. My buddy in his 6L get's 10-12 mpg not hauling.....I get 12 or better hauling 10k pounds. I get 18 or so combined and have seen 23 on the highway.

red
    95 Z28

So...

GM joint built the duramax with Isuzu. Besides, Isuzu makes fantastic diesel engines. Dodge doesnt make the Cummins. Ford didnt make the 7.3 (navistar did). Dodge uses an Aisin transmission. Ford does make their cirrent diesel and trans, and oddly enough, they both lag behind the GM equipment, so there ya go.

And no, you dont need to look for an 03-04. They're not the best duramax. The injector issues were overblown, and most have been fixed at this point. At least get an LLY (04.4-05), as it has the variable geometry turbo. Or, as 0rion said, the LBZ, and for the reasons he mentioned.
    Last edited by 5.0THIS; 12-14-2012 at 01:13 AM.

Black
    1998 Trans Am

If it were me...I'd say get a Cummins hands down. Ancient engine but one hell of a strong engine. Wouldn't even waste my time on a Powerstroke or Duramax in my opinion.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information