Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: truck wars

98 Formula
    06 duramax

truck wars

hate to hear you sold it but I know how it is balancing toys and vehicles you can actually use. Good luck with that v-10....probably have to get another job keeping gas in that thing.

Impounded
    gmcheviac

the v10 costs less than the diesel to purchase and drive

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by wheeliE-maxx View Post
    towing? Never heard of a v10 getting better mileage towing than a diesel. I bet it's single digit mileage if the trailer weighs anything.

Impounded
    gmcheviac

Yeah, and a powerstroke might get 11 towing. add 30 cents a gallon for #2 over regular and that you're not towing all the time. 18 quart oil changes, thousands to lift the cab and fix the turbo/head studs/gaskets (depending on 6.0 or 6.4). Maybe 16 mpg unloaded diesel and 13-14 gas. *been messing with my grandpa's pos 6.0 the past few months*

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

V10 will never get the MPG of a PowerBroke! Go Diesel or go home OP! J/K! You would have more power/torque/mpg potential with the powerbroke
    ┌∩┐(◕_◕)┌∩┐

Man: The Mods you are fighting,
    they are the biggest Men I have ever seen. I
    wouldn't want to fight them!

Me: That is why no one will remember your name!

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

Yeah, and a powerstroke might get 11 towing. add 30 cents a gallon for #2 over regular and that you're not towing all the time. 18 quart oil changes, thousands to lift the cab and fix the turbo/head studs/gaskets (depending on 6.0 or 6.4). Maybe 16 mpg unloaded diesel and 13-14 gas. *been messing with my grandpa's pos 6.0 the past few months*
    All Ford diesels are junk buy Cummins or Duramax. 6.0's blow, 7.3 is Fords best to date.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

unloaded I got over 17 in my duramax last week on a trip. I haven't adjusted for the larger tires so the calc's are lower than they should be and they showed 17.2. My camper don't weigh shit (3000 lb's) so towing I don't have a good comparison except when towing that I still get 16. Don't have the turbo/gasket/stud problems on the duramax's and mine is a 12 quart oil change which is only a few dollars more. Around here diesel is right in line with 89 octane at the moment ($2.88) so that's really a non-factor. Diesel's are a bit more to maintain but there's no way a v10 is going to be cheaper over the life of the truck....especially if you're towing anything. At 200k a diesel is just getting broken in good.

Gray/ White
    09Ram 1500 83 Thunderturd

Quote Originally Posted by blackSS01 View Post
    V10 will never get the MPG of a PowerBroke! Go Diesel or go home OP! J/K! You would have more power/torque/mpg potential with the powerbroke
    6.7 yes. The International engines wish they could get V10 mileage

Impounded
    gmcheviac

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    unloaded I got over 17 in my duramax last week on a trip. I haven't adjusted for the larger tires so the calc's are lower than they should be and they showed 17.2. My camper don't weigh shit (3000 lb's) so towing I don't have a good comparison except when towing that I still get 16. Don't have the turbo/gasket/stud problems on the duramax's and mine is a 12 quart oil change which is only a few dollars more. Around here diesel is right in line with 89 octane at the moment ($2.88) so that's really a non-factor. Diesel's are a bit more to maintain but there's no way a v10 is going to be cheaper over the life of the truck....especially if you're towing anything. At 200k a diesel is just getting broken in good.
    ford duramax eh? You must use some different math at the mileage this guy is running too
    200k is nothing for chrysler or gm gassers these days either.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

ford duramax eh? You must use some different math at the mileage this guy is running too
    200k is nothing for chrysler or gm gassers these days either.
    so you're saying a gasser is going to last as long and run as long as a diesel and be cheaper over the life of the truck? I never said anything about ford....I don't care what make it is. Diesel>gasser for a truck you're going to tow with. I also think you miss another major point...200k is a little more than just "nothing" in the gasser world while it's pretty common place for diesels to hit that number easily. How many 300k,400k, or even 500k gassers are rolling out there? Tons of diesels with that mileage on them.
    To the original point. The v10 will have plenty of power for what you're going to use it for but it's going to cost a lot gas wise.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Wow from consulting the OP to a Flame war over Diesels vs V10 in 6-7 posts..

White
    '10 ZR1

How the heck is that possible?

The cost per mile cannot be less with the V10.

White
    '10 ZR1

Quote Originally Posted by Transamws6 View Post
    Yea, you should definently get better than 10, the people that we used to go camping with had a 28 foot 5th wheel, their family had a Red 03' Supercab V10 F-250, haven't talked to them in a while since we stopped camping, but just speaking on behalf of my memory, I believe he used to average around 12-13 mpg.

Hands down, that V10 Ford is the next best thing to getting a diesel. No other gasser truck can compete with it really.
    My co-worker has one and struggles to get 10-11 mpg unloaded.

Impounded
    gmcheviac

v10 loaded 9-10mpg dpf diesel 11-12
    lowest regular in atl: 2.34 diesel: 2.66 13% cheaper for gas
    20% worse mileage
    200k+ fuelies are common place in Texas, many of them reaching that mark from new in my family and with friends. Maybe not so much in ohio because people dump them from rust. I guess if it doesn't last that long he'll have something to worry about in 29 years.
    -9000$ purchase price new, the gap often increases used.
    6 quart oil changes once a year (time not mileage) for the gasser 15 or so for a powerjoke, changes last a little longer I keep mentioning them because the op bought a ford. Might be something to do with preferring the vehicle that's wrapped around it. There is no way the diesel can pay for itself.
    Yes i'm this bored

Impounded
    gmcheviac

Yea, you should definently get better than 10, the people that we used to go camping with had a 28 foot 5th wheel, their family had a Red 03' Supercab V10 F-250, haven't talked to them in a while since we stopped camping, but just speaking on behalf of my memory, I believe he used to average around 12-13 mpg.

Hands down, that V10 Ford is the next best thing to getting a diesel. No other gasser truck can compete with it really.
    8.1 chebberlet or anything big block of any brand (older v10 dodges aswell), but yeah

White
    '10 ZR1

v10 loaded 9-10mpg dpf diesel 11-12
    lowest regular in atl: 2.34 diesel: 2.66 13% cheaper for gas
    20% worse mileage
    200k+ fuelies are common place in Texas, many of them reaching that mark from new in my family and with friends. Maybe not so much in ohio because people dump them from rust. I guess if it doesn't last that long he'll have something to worry about in 29 years.
    -9000$ purchase price new, the gap often increases used.
    6 quart oil changes once a year (time not mileage) for the gasser 15 or so for a powerjoke, changes last a little longer I keep mentioning them because the op bought a ford. Might be something to do with preferring the vehicle that's wrapped around it. There is no way the diesel can pay for itself.
    Yes i'm this bored
    I have an '03 3/4 ton Duramax and get 18-20 unloaded (with the help of a chip), and about 14-16 loaded.
    I also have an '03 3/4 6.0 liter Chevy that gets 11-13 unloaded and 7-9 loaded.

That's nearly double in favor of the diesel.
    Last edited by FasstChevys; 07-16-2010 at 09:19 AM.

NBM
    '00 A4 SS

Quote Originally Posted by FasstChevys View Post
    My co-worker has one and struggles to get 10-11 mpg unloaded.
    Well, it's not like the Chevy is any better, I've heard that the 8.1 gets even worse gas mileage than the V10 Ford, and on top of the gas mileage being bad, I've heard those things burn oil really bad. I still say the Ford is the best Heavy Duty gasser you can get.

White
    '10 ZR1

Well, it's not like the Chevy is any better, I've heard that the 8.1 gets even worse gas mileage than the V10 Ford, and on top of the gas mileage being bad, I've heard those things burn oil really bad. I still say the Ford is the best Heavy Duty gasser you can get.
    I didn't say they were, I'm comparing gassers to diesels. Even so, I don't buy the claims of 12-13 mpg with that V10 pulling a 28' foot 5th wheel camper.

NBM
    '00 A4 SS

Quote Originally Posted by FasstChevys View Post
    I didn't say they were, I'm comparing gassers to diesels. Even so, I don't buy the claims of 12-13 mpg with that V10 pulling a 28' foot 5th wheel camper.
    I woke up like 10 min. before I typed that, I really meant unloaded, not with the trailer attached, and I should have said that before, sorry.

Impounded
    gmcheviac

torque, they all get shit mileage

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information