98 Formula
    06 duramax

truck tire size decision

I currently run toyo MT tires 285-75-16 on the truck. They're probably a little over half done (32k miles). I was looking at getting some summer AT tires to run just during the summer and save those MT tires for hunting season. I already have a 2nd set of rims to put them on. I can't decide if I wanna stay with the 285's for my summer tires or drop down to a 265 tire. Weight savings and money savings up front would be nice. I've always liked the looks of a shorter wider tire on a truck but have never run them because I've never wanted to give up the pumpkin clearance when I'm in the mud. A 265-70 would be giving up almost 3" of height which is pretty substantial. Worst case I'll just stay with a 285. I guess I was just looking for opinion. I'd like to get a little better (quieter) ride, save a little gas money, and save a little up front money. I've always ran mud tires because I do need them during hunting season but now that I can run 2 different tires I have a little more freedom with the summer tire. I'd almost just go to an all season but I did bury the truck up in my own damn yard on the original bridgestone tires that were on it stock. That's why I'm looking at AT tires to give me a little traction in case I end up in some mud during the summer at some point. Last option is to just stay with mud tires. I do like the benefits of getting those mud tires off there during the summer though.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

I just got Nitto Terra Grapple G2's for the Durango. Liking them so far. However I did take a hit on mpg.

I went from a 245/65/R17 to 265/70R17 like it was supposed to have in the 1st place. Sam's kept insisting on the smaller size. But after looking up the package fir the Durango it was suppose to have the 265/65 or 265/70 size. The 245 were for the 4.8 Liter package.

red
    95 Z28

You only need the bigger tire for hunting and mud. Otherwise run the factory size if you want the most out of the truck.

Or put on some rockstar wheels with no backspacing, lift it, and run 38s for the complete douchebag brodozer look.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

No rockstars here....way overplayed. I have the bars cranked a little to fit the 285's so the extra wheel well is what concerns me. There's a lot of wheel well there factory though it may be a wash. Wish tires were like shoes where you could try them on first haha. Wife says to play safe and stick with 285's but I do like the benefits of a smaller tire. Most of that being the hundreds of dollars saved up front. Haha They are quite a bit lighter than a 285 so I'm sure some mileage would be gained also. Not sure ride quality or noise would be a difference between a 265 and 285. Most of that gain would be going from an MT to an AT.

Gray/ White
    09Ram 1500 83 Thunderturd

Been running Kumho Roadventure AT51s on our Cherokee for almost 3 years now. Getting good wear and are quiet. Been great so far in snow and sand. Haven't really gone out in any serious mud with them so can't give an opinion in that. Size wise depends on how much you need to compensate for
    83 Thunderturd even bigger turd probably LQ4 4L80 swap at some point
    Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    the guys here know how to find a nekkid chick farting into a cake but 2+2 stumps the shit out of 'em.
    Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    My brain must be defective.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zapper2003 View Post
    Says the king of mockery and shit talking

red
    95 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by GTP231 View Post
    Size wise depends on how much you need to compensate for
    It's orion, so maybe 44 inch super swampers would be appropriate.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I've looked at those at51's. I've had good luck over the years with kuhmo tires. I did have their mud tire...KL61 I think....that I got terrible mileage out of. Directional and were a soft compound. One of the quietest and best riding mud tires I've ever had but I got a whopping 23k miles out of them. Probably do better on a lighter truck and not spending so much time on pavement. I have 2 buddies that run Cooper adventurer ATP and love them. I'm probably looking at nitto Terra grapplers or toyo AT. Both wear really good. I'm not set on them yet though. Still haven't picked the size yet. I was looking at weights last night...the toyo MT is a 67lb tire. I could save 15-20 lbs per tire by dropping down a size. The Cooper is 49 lbs. I'm in no hurry so I'll get something eventually. Super swampers maybe and then duct tape a pole in the back of the truck to hang a Confederate flag from that has "don't treat on me" embroidered on it.

Gray/ White
    09Ram 1500 83 Thunderturd

Quote Originally Posted by 5.0THIS View Post
    It's orion, so maybe 44 inch super swampers would be appropriate.
    At least

Blue Green Chameleon
    2001 Trans Am Vert

Why not a 265-75-16 since they are cheap and common size and only 2 inches smaller?

I really like the Copper and General AT tires. Right now there are some smoking deal thru discount tire direct with Pres day sales.
    2001 Trans Am Vert

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Went with the toyo at2 in a 285. I've just been too happy with toyo not to stick with them. Also didn't feel like gambling on the size. With a 285 I know exactly what I'm getting. I went in there to get the Cooper atp but I had them look up the toyo and the price difference was basically nothing so I decided to stick with toyo and go to an AT.

Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

I still recommend the General Grabber AT2 tire to most SUV/truck drivers. I love the way they ride... barely notice a difference in ride quality and sound vs a stock tire but will got through snow and some mud very nicely. My last set had 50k+ miles on them and were still good for another 20-30k. The year I got my last set I went ice fishing shortly after and spent the first several hours of the day pulling trucks off the ice because the ice froze weird and had a layer of slush about 8-9 inches thick on top of it under a thin layer of surface ice. Most guys though they were going through the ice because they broke through the top layer and saw water and slush coming through.

They have a D load rating not an E.... but they are still rated for 33XXlbs per tire.... vs 3750 for the E rated. That's still 13,000+lbs for all 4.... which I'm sure is more than your truck is rated for. Even if your truck is 8klbs I doubt your GVW is another 5k on top of that. You have to move up to the grabber x3 for the e load.

Not to mention in 285-75-16 you can get them for 170-180 a tire.
    Last edited by Zinergy; 02-21-2018 at 10:44 AM.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I could technically run a D tire. My truck is right at 7k and my pin weight is 1500 dry and only another couple hundred loaded down. I still want to run e tires though. I'll be happy with the toyo....they make a good tire. My buddy has the same truck I do want runs the toyo trail on his and loves them. Everyone finds "their" tire. I'm just a toyo fan. I still shop around every time though. I do like those general tires. Kinda have the same concern for those as I did for the Cooper.....do they cup easily? Generals tread blocks aren't as big as the Cooper but they have that square profile kinda like the bfg at tires and I had those cup real bad years ago

Thread Information