Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Truck

2011 Prius

Truck

Was tired of seeing high interest rates from the bank, my grandparents saw them and offered me an interest free loan, but I have to buy a truck or SUV. It's find because I been looking into them, I have another business idea. I want to start doing Mobile Detailing for aviation and cars. I already have a car lot interested, also my stepdad said he will push allot of airplanes toward me. But for some of the airplanes, that's out from the hangers and any water supplies. I will need to carry my own water supplies. That being said, looking into full size trucks. I would like to pick up hunting, but 4x4 Diesels tend to clime out of my price range. I really would like a Diesel, but still complimenting it.

Now I have $5,000 cash, grandparents offered me $8,000 (They have lots of money, so they don't mind). But I want to pay them back ASAP, so limiting my self to a $10,000 truck. I really would like to stick under $8,000... But can see having to spend the extra money.

But I been looking at the following.

99-02 Chevy Siverado 5.3L Z71 Extended Cab, yours was great decent gas mileage.
    00-03 Chevy Tahoe/Suburban 4x4 and 4x2 with 5.3L

The diesels are mostly Ford Powerstoke 7.3L, I was told stay away from early 03-04 6.0L. Since there is no way I can afford an 05 or newer. I been looking into the 02 or older (Not to old). I have been trying to find a Dodge Ram Cummins, since they got great power and can get decent millage with mods.

What would you rather have. A gasser truck with 65,000-90,000 miles or a Diesel with 90,000-120,000 miles?

SS: NBM, tan top
    1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

Diesel with 90-120K FTW, bigger upfront cost, but you'll save in fuel costs and longevity / reliability of the vehicle

Remember, when thinking about diesel, look at COST/MILE not cost / gallon, if you have a gasser truck that gets 12 mpg on 2.73 a gallon and you have a diesel that gets 16 mpg on 2.99 a gallon, you're better off with the diesel at 19 c/mile compared to 23 cents/mile with the gasser

2011 Prius

How many miles is to high? I know the engines will last a long time, but what about the other drivetrain? Most of the trucks are work trucks, I mean work trucks that are around $7,000. Rubber flooring and shit. I would really like a 4x4 with some creature comforts, but they are higher miles.

I am eying this at the moment.
    2000 Dodge Ram 2500 Extended Cab, Cummins nicely packaged. 105,000 miles. 2wd, it's in GA. But he said he will do $9,995 out the door. I was going to offer $9,000 out the door, see what he says.

Impounded
    gmcheviac

People forget that though diesels and the beefed up drivetrain that goes with em last forever, they're still wrapped in the same piece of shit body, electronics, and interior of a half ton so too high mileage still sucks. But pay attention to clutch and shift feel on a manual of course. The dodge 48re or whatever doesn't hold up that great, especially when the motor's modified.

white
    1997 dodge dakota

get a trans am thats diesil and has 3 t tops

2011 Prius

NBM
    '00 A4 SS

Def. get a diesel with 90k-120k miles. Diesel motors last for a very long time, but they are more expensive to mod and repair than a gas truck.

But really, those two diesels trucks you posted are very base line and lame, especially that F250, just one question, how do you go from a mint 13k escalade to a pos 7k 2wd f250?

Why start a buisness now anyway? Your only 19, go to school, get your escalade, quit flip flopping.

Black
    1999 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Transamws6 View Post
    Def. get a diesel with 90k-120k miles. Diesel motors last for a very long time, but they are more expensive to mod and repair than a gas truck.

But really, those two diesels trucks you posted are very base line and lame, especially that F250, just one question, how do you go from a mint 13k escalade to a pos 7k 2wd f250?

Why start a buisness now anyway? Your only 19, go to school, get your escalade, quit flip flopping.
    Says mister new saga every week with a car

Just busting your balls man

Impounded
    gmcheviac

Jew keeding right mang?

Silver
    2005 Ram Daytona

why start a business now?... at this age is the best time to start a business.. I am in the middle of starting up an LLC right now, I have been in business classes for 2 years (this is my 3rd year) and I have been told numerous times by people that they wish they would have done it when they had the chance.. at this age we have no real risk, we don't have a family to feed, and we have minimal bills... if you don't do it now you'l most likely regret it later

Impounded
    gmcheviac

Oh and look at the controls on that Ford. Doesn't look like it even has a/c. Vinyl seats with no a/c in Florida no es bueno

Pewter
    2001 Camaro Z28 M6

powerstroke diesel... i have hauled many things from IL, through the CO rockies... great engine and great truck and seen many with well over 300k on the odometer and still running strong.

2011 Prius

First off, you know I already own a company and it's doing alright. I make more then most people my age and don't have to deal with management, just making the customer happy. But working with computers in this economy is hard, but detailing cars (Repairing light scratches) looks to be a good market. Also doing aviation on the side is a strong market, as those rich guys don't want to touch it. I on the other hand, want to stay busy and keep working and have as much money coming in. What ever one I am making more profit in the feature, will be the one I will put more time in when I got to school (So I can have money coming in). I explained this to you in PM, do you forget or just think I am an idiot? Peoples needs change, I no longer need a 150+ MPh car, I will have another some day. I am also thinking reliability, how reliably is a 100,000 mile escalade Vs a 100,000 mile diesel that both are taken care off equally? I can do the business in either or, a waxed up Escalade will be more appealing to the mass. But a Diesel will be nice when hauling around a shit load of water. A truck will be nice if I start hunting and want to throw that dead ass deer in the back.

I also did not realize that F250 had no AC. Also T/A the only thing that Dodge does not have is leather seats and Nav/Premium sound. It has power everything... I just wish it was a 4wd. But I just did an Autocheck...

Below are the historical events for this vehicle listed in chronological order. Any discrepancies will be in bold text.

Report Run Date: 2009-11-11 16:28:42.674 EST

Vehicle: 2000 Dodge Ram 2500 SLT (3B7KC2369YG120897)
    Event Date Event Location Odometer Reading Data Source Event Detail
    10/04/1999 RI
    Motor Vehicle Dept. TITLE
    TITLE
    REGISTRATION EVENT/RENEWAL
    03/10/2000 RI
    TITLE
    03/13/2001 HOPE VALLEY, RI
    03/04/2002 HOPE VALLEY, RI
    02/28/2003 HOPE VALLEY, RI
    03/03/2004 HOPE VALLEY, RI
    03/03/2005 HOPE VALLEY, RI
    03/01/2006 HOPE VALLEY, RI
    02/07/2007 VERO BEACH, FL
    Accident Source ACCIDENT REPORTED (Case #:2007-14531)

02/27/2007 HOPE VALLEY, RI
    04/08/2008 SC
    Motor Vehicle Dept. ODOMETER READING FROM DMV
    04/13/2008 NEESES, SC
    Motor Vehicle Dept. TITLE (Title #:770380190014551)
    04/27/2009 NEESES, SC
    Motor Vehicle Dept. REGISTRATION EVENT/RENEWAL
    09/23/2009 SC
    Motor Vehicle Dept. ODOMETER READING FROM DMV
    09/28/2009 NEESES, SC
    Motor Vehicle Dept. TITLE (Title #:770020210493712)
    Last edited by SHines-IT; 11-11-2009 at 12:56 PM. Reason: Bold the bad part

The Herpes of LS1.com Modulistic's Avatar

gray
    07 duramax

All it takes to bump up a modern diesel in hp is a programmer chip that builds shit tons of boost and dumps extra fuel in. you can run 12s with a full cattle guard grill. this is good and bad, cause you can get a fast ass diesel, but a previously owned diesel has a high chance of being ragged on.

2011 Prius

The Dodge truck still has a clean title and still has an 89 on the auto check score. Also still qualifies for Buy Back, should I be concerned?

Now way in hell I can afford a new Diesel.

NBM
    '00 A4 SS

There is something wrong with the pm system here, Shines, I pm'ed you back, I guess you never got it the same thing happened with another member that I used to pm on here, I by no means believe you are an idiot, I was just giving you my personal opinion. I'd still get the escalade and mod it like you had planned, you stated that your step-dad had a ram and you use alot, i would see if I could use that for the business and just drive the escalade when your not on the job.

But if you really want a 4x4 diesel for under 10k they are out there. I'll show you if you don't believe it. I've seen many for good deals on autotrader.

2011 Prius

There is something wrong with the pm system here, Shines, I pm'ed you back, I guess you never got it the same thing happened with another member that I used to pm on here, I by no means believe you are an idiot, I was just giving you my personal opinion. I'd still get the escalade and mod it like you had planned, you stated that your step-dad had a ram and you use alot, i would see if I could use that for the business and just drive the escalade when your not on the job.

But if you really want a 4x4 diesel for under 10k they are out there. I'll show you if you don't believe it. I've seen many for good deals on autotrader.
    I can't use the Ram for my business, I am how ever allowed to use it to pick up family or stuff for the airplane. I notice it took me a couple days to receive your last PM, so yea, hmm... Farthest I am willing to drive is 300 miles from 32736, unless it's a killer deal. I seen some 4x4 around here, but they have allot of miles or are older.

2011 Prius

I've been told to stay away for the early 6.0L Diesels, but no one tells me why exactly? How many miles should I stay away from?

Impounded
    gmcheviac

Quit worrying about the magic D-word. Find a gas 3/4 ton or 1500hd gm or dodge truck for next to nothing. 5.4 f-250's are just plain dogs, so I wouldn't worry about those. The fuel mileage of a diesel will take so long to pay off compared to the purchase price. And the five gallon oil changes etc. Oh and under boost (like pulling) diesels get shittacular mileage too. Especially 7.3's. Gas engines these days last longer than the vehicle aswell, so that's not a factor. And i'm not sure you're going to run the life out of a vehicle if you want it to reflect upon your detailing business... Diesels have better resale, but they cost alot more even used to begin with. 03-09 Dodge's seem to be a far better truck than the heavy duty or half ton gm trucks based on our ownership experiences of both throughout our family

The Herpes of LS1.com Modulistic's Avatar

gray
    07 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by wheeliE-maxx View Post
    Quit worrying about the magic D-word. Find a gas 3/4 ton or 1500hd gm or dodge truck for next to nothing. 5.4 f-250's are just plain dogs, so I wouldn't worry about those. The fuel mileage of a diesel will take so long to pay off compared to the purchase price. And the five gallon oil changes etc. Oh and under boost (like pulling) diesels get shittacular mileage too. Especially 7.3's. Gas engines these days last longer than the vehicle aswell, so that's not a factor. And i'm not sure you're going to run the life out of a vehicle if you want it to reflect upon your detailing business... Diesels have better resale, but they cost alot more even used to begin with. 03-09 Dodge's seem to be a far better truck than the heavy duty or half ton gm trucks based on our ownership experiences of both throughout our family

good advice here. I bought my duramax to tow my shit from TX to AK. I mostly just tool it around to work and back and burn diesel like a bitch. the main reason I keep it is if there was another earthquake or tsunami, I have 300 gallons of diesel fuel (for home heating) on the side of the house that I could run the truck off of for a while. Most of the time, Im wondering why I didnt get a gasser.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information