Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trooper Tatics

autoconnectionllc.com 02transamce's Avatar

2007 Corvette
    Ebony

Trooper Tatics

So on the way home from the beach today and last Wednesday I noticed Alabama State Troopers were sitting on the side of the highway (2 lane) at the bottom of large downhill sections of road,you couldn't see them when you started downhill,sneaky bastards,luckily another motorist gave me a warning flash both times so I was going 55 when I came across the Troopers,still had to drag the brakes to maintain 55.man I wonder if the motivation of that was law enforcement or revenue generation

Blue
    72 Chevelle, 2001 SS

Kinda standard practice here. I don't really go over 5 mph over the speed limit so I could care less

2007 Corvette
    Ebony

I had the cruise set at 55 trying to get max fuel mileage in the Monte Carlo (got 30 mpg over 175 miles from panama city,fl to montgomery,al,ftmfw)but still had to drag to brake because the hill was so steep,i imagine the Trooper was thinking even if someone had their cruise set at 55 they would accelerate by gravity going downhill and be exceeding the speed limit by the time they were in range of his radar/laser and they would have no time to hit the brakes because they could not have seen his car in time to react.
    Last edited by 02transamce; 07-09-2011 at 08:02 PM.

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

Standard revenue generating practice.

Using CC will slow the car down to the specified speed (even down hill) due to engine braking (closed throttle will slow engine RPM's).

2007 Corvette
    Ebony

my monte will still gain around 5 mph,this was a big downhill stretch.

Giant Dicks Car Club Zapper2003's Avatar

2005 Ram
    1978 Firebird

My Ram pickup will actually downshift in CC to try to maintain speed.

red
    95 Z28

If you're not speeding, you wont have anything to worry about. That's all there is to it.

2007 Corvette
    Ebony

lol,did you read the post?

red
    95 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by 02transamce View Post
    lol,did you read the post?

Sure did bud. They're just doing their job. At the level of the Trooper himself, he doesnt care about revenue generation. Most state agencies dont tell their guys to go out and earn money. They typically give them a guideline on the number of contacts they would like to see during a shift, but a contact doesnt necessarily mean a citation or summons. It just means they want them out there, visible, contacting people for violations.

2007 Corvette
    Ebony

I guess,I would say of they want to be visible,they would sit in a area where they could be seen from a long distance,but sitting at the bottom of a long downhill where you cannot see them till you are on top of them(failed to mention he was sitting behind a small bridge abutment which was hiding the patrol car) not to mention you have to drag the brake to stay at 55 is blatantly trying to write maximum tickets,because people who are not trying to speed could be caught speeding because of the momentum gained by the long downhill stretch.I understand troopers have a job to do and appreciate their service but this tactic was lowdown.

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

I have seen the same thing. They will sit at the bottom of hills to nab folks who let their car just freely roll downhill and speed. Happened to my father years ago. They were most likely on radar detail. As 5.0 stated, if you're not speeding, you are good to go.

red
    95 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by 02transamce View Post
    I guess,I would say of they want to be visible,they would sit in a area where they could be seen from a long distance,but sitting at the bottom of a long downhill where you cannot see them till you are on top of them(failed to mention he was sitting behind a small bridge abutment which was hiding the patrol car) not to mention you have to drag the brake to stay at 55 is blatantly trying to write maximum tickets,because people who are not trying to speed could be caught speeding because of the momentum gained by the long downhill stretch.I understand troopers have a job to do and appreciate their service but this tactic was lowdown.

It's not lowdown. They're not making people speed down the hill. They're doing their job, which is to enforce the traffic laws in the state of Alabama. They dont make the laws, they just enforce them. What you see as lowdown is them doing their job as effectively as they can. If they make themselves noticeable and obvious from miles away, people slow down as they drive by, and then speed back up. How exactly is that accomplishing anything form their standpoint? Yeah, it isnt. And just because you see people who have been stopped, doesnt mean they're getting cited.

2007 Corvette
    Ebony

We will have to agree to disagree,my friend.

blue
    1999 TransAm

Quote Originally Posted by 5.0THIS View Post
    If you're not speeding, you wont have anything to worry about. That's all there is to it.
    really?.. ever been pulled over and harrased for "following too closely", ...of course the reason for this was when the line of traffic i was in got compressed because the car in front slammed on his brakes upon seeing the cop illuminating him from the highspeed lane shoulder...

i believe their tactics are dangerous. just a couple weeks back, i had a OH trooper fly by me on a hwy exit ramp, and i mean blew my doors off - no sirens, nothing, ... to pursue a speeder who took the ramp (should i draw a picture of where this dumb trooper setup his "spot", it was on the high speed shoulder, at a near perpendicular angle to the exit, meaning he had to shoot across 3-4 lanes of hwy to pursue anyone taking the exit - which is exactly what he did..)

LeMans
    2005 Corvette 2005 GTO

They love to sit at the bottom of a huge hill here where the speed limit is 35. You literally have to ride the brakes to stay under 35. Losing respect for cops that do that kinda shit

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Hell...they can run your plate if they want whether you are driving safe or not. Happened to me last Saturday night. Didn't pull me over, but it was funny to see the look on his face when he saw the computer screen in his cruiser. Looked at my car, looked at the screen, then looked at the car again and his eyes got really big. I dunno why, but he looked shocked.

Arctic White
    2000 Z28

I can show you the stack of tickets I got before I turned 22. I had my license suspended twice before I turned 22. This suspensions were based off points and the tickets were speeding tickets. Took me a long time to learn something. If you're not speeding, you wont have anything to worry about. Can they pull you over for other things sure. But again they are doing their job. I have not been pulled over in a long time. Why I don't speed anymore... And FYI lets keep this topic civil there is a forum rule about not basing law enforcement.

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

I'm not bashing. Mine was funny. Probably someone I know.

2002 Camaro Z/28 Pewter

Police do that all the time to catch speeders I do agree though that it is bs when the hide over a hill. I mean come one how many of you who dont speed can actually say that once you reach the top of the hill at the speed limit you put on your brakes to avoid breaking the limit once your over it? It's just a cheap shot with law enforcement I respect police but when they pull stuff like this it gets harder, I was driving to work today and the speed limit was 45 down the road it downs to 35 and goes around a corner I slowed down, but as soon as I came around the corner there was 5 not one but 5 cops with radar standing behind various trees and they had officers already in cars ready to pull people over. I'd love for someone to explain to me how that isnt a revenue generator or speed trap mostly because i get passed by cops all the time on that road doing 50 plus when I'm coming home from work.

White
    '10 ZR1

Quote Originally Posted by Z28Thunder View Post
    I can show you the stack of tickets I got before I turned 22. I had my license suspended twice before I turned 22. This suspensions were based off points and the tickets were speeding tickets. Took me a long time to learn something. If you're not speeding, you wont have anything to worry about. Can they pull you over for other things sure. But again they are doing their job. I have not been pulled over in a long time. Why I don't speed anymore... And FYI lets keep this topic civil there is a forum rule about not basing law enforcement.
    For sure, and there's a reason there's a 'rule'. Long story short, some of it IS justified, and some of it isn't, plain and simple.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information