07 MAZDASPEED6 GT

Angry Trans shop trying to screw me!

I had my trans "rebuilt" 6k miles ago. (not the TA)

Last time I checked, a shop is supposed to inspect everything first to see what is in fact broken & in need of replacement.

Well they apparently did not do that b/c pretty much from day 1 that I got the car back it was doing almost the same crap as before I brought it in!!

The trans died again earlier this week. So the car was towed to them & they tell me today the planetary gears are toast & that is not something that is replaced on a standard rebuild. Right, I know that's not a standard item to be replaced.

But if you toolbags actually inspected my tranny before you just tossed parts at it to get my $ you would have replaced the CORRECT parts the first time!!

Now I'm pretty pissed right now & don't think I should pay a dime. I most certainly will NOT pay for labor though. Not only that, but the trans is still under this shop's warranty period of 1 year/12k miles. Only 6k miles have passed.

Here is what the paperwork says about the differential:

"THE DIFFERENTIAL ASSEMBLY HAS BEEN VISUALLY EXAMINED AND FOUND TO BE IN ACCEPTABLE OPERATING CONDITION. EXCEPT AS MAY BE OTHERWISE PROVIDED BY STATE OR FEDERAL LAW. WARRANTOR ASSUMES NO RESPONSIBILITY FOR ANY SUBSEQUENT FAILURE OF THIS COMPONENT."
    '07 MAZDASPEED6 GT
    '96 Mystic Cobra #5615

Black
    2005 GTO

I was fortunate not to get screwed. I took my old car 88 monte ss into a tranny shop the car was kicking in and out of gear actually out of lock up in
    4th gear. Took it in they told me I need to have the tranny rebuilt took the car home did some research on montecarloss.com found out that I need to replace my TCC soliniod replaced it and all was good. They want some $1300 for a rebuild it cost me all of $30 to replace the TCC. Needless to say non of my cars will ever go to that shop again.

07 MAZDASPEED6 GT

Quote Originally Posted by JonB View Post
    I was fortunate not to get screwed. I took my old car 88 monte ss into a tranny shop the car was kicking in and out of gear actually out of lock up in
    4th gear. Took it in they told me I need to have the tranny rebuilt took the car home did some research on montecarloss.com found out that I need to replace my TCC soliniod replaced it and all was good. They want some $1300 for a rebuild it cost me all of $30 to replace the TCC. Needless to say non of my cars will ever go to that shop again.
    That is why I do my own work. Unfortunately, I can't rebuild a tranny in the parking lot of my apt.

07 MAZDASPEED6 GT

I just got off the phone w/the guy & he started to accuse me beating the shitter b/c the pump was bad & that doesn't just go bad. No shit, but don't you dare try to shift the blame on me for your neglect. I then said I assume this is all covered under warranty & he pretty much agreed then he said he's waiting to see what "they" do on the planetary gears. I held off on flipping out on him for now. If he tries to charge me for them then it's time to play hardball.

If all goes well I should have my car back some time this week. It better be runnign right this time.

07 MAZDASPEED6 GT

2 weeks later & I still do not have my car back. $100 says they laugh at me when I go in there to pick it up (hopefully sometime this year) and tell them they should pay for my rental.

1986 Camaro

In the future when your looking for a trans shop, look to see if they have an "ATRA" sticker in their shop window. ATRA stands for Automatic Transmission Rebuilders Association. Those shops are usually held to a higher standard, than others. I hope this isnt an AAMCO shop, they will usually screw you.

07 MAZDASPEED6 GT

Quote Originally Posted by GM Man View Post
    In the future when your looking for a trans shop, look to see if they have an "ATRA" sticker in their shop window. ATRA stands for Automatic Transmission Rebuilders Association. Those shops are usually held to a higher standard, than others. I hope this isnt an AAMCO shop, they will usually screw you.
    Not AAMCO or Cottman.

not trying to be a smartass but if it was still acting up, why even put 6000 more miles on it. it sucks to throw money away on shitbags that do halfass jobs, sorry bout your bad luck man- hope they do the right thing

07 MAZDASPEED6 GT

Quote Originally Posted by whitelightnin99 View Post
    not trying to be a smartass but if it was still acting up, why even put 6000 more miles on it. it sucks to throw money away on shitbags that do halfass jobs, sorry bout your bad luck man- hope they do the right thing
    I did bring it back between now & then & the idiot that checked it out didn't find anything wrong.

Sarge for AAG Emperor hutch1999's Avatar

06 HD Softail
    1998 Trans Am m6

seems like shops are all about screwing people nowdays

07 MAZDASPEED6 GT

I got the same bs runaround again today. Oh yea, I'll have my guy stay late today to finish it. Bullcrap, my car sits outside in the same spot. I am calling tomorrow and telling him that the car must be completed today. I won't mention court or anything, but if it's not done I'm going to find out what I need to do to file in small claims.

Thread Information