Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Black / White
    '00 T/A M6/'19 Hemi Truck

Traffic Ticket Opinion

So...

Im not seeking legal advice, but I would like some opinions on this because i've never dealt with anything like it...so 2 days ago I got pulled over in Nashville because the officer wanted to run my insurance, no big deal. Turns out I have a traffic warrant somewhere in the State of GA "no idea where and he couldnt tell me where". The guy was super nice, didnt give me a ticket for anything and it turns out he used to work on Redstone Arsenal where I worked about 1.5 years ago. Anyway...does anybody have any recommendations on who I should contact in GA since I have no clue what or where this is coming from? State Police...? Random court clerk...? No way in hell im physically going into a court house over there lol dont want to be arrested...

I received 2 tickets the entire time I lived in GA. One was for a seatbelt when I was like 19 and one was for speeding somewhere way down south but I have no clue where because it was years ago...both were paid.

I also have gone through 3-4 standard background checks and a federal security clearance in the past 3+ years and it has never shown up so I'm a little confused on what to do...

thanks in advance.

Almost forgot...I got a license in TN and AL with no issues as well. I even got pulled over in Huntsville for a trailer with a broken tail light and it didnt show up when they ran my AL license.
    Last edited by theorangeguy; 05-13-2014 at 06:22 AM.

blue
    1999 TransAm

a cop can pull you over just to look at your insurance?!?

Black / White

Quote Originally Posted by wileyCoyote View Post
    a cop can pull you over just to look at your insurance?!?
    apparently they can lol im glad he did tho because I would have never known about this otherwise.
    2000 Black TA M6 - LT's, ORY, UMI Short Stick, TT2's, Drilled/Slotted Rotors, Braided Lines, and Tuned by Vengeance SCCA and Car Show Approved
    2019 Ram 1500 Crew Cab Laramie Limited
    2015 Ram 1500 Crew Cab Sport Premium Hemi - Sold
    2010 Hemi Crew Cab Sport Premium - Tuner and HID's - Sold
    06 Quad Cab HHHHemi - Sold
    99 Hugger Orange Camaro - Sold
    97 Camaro - Sold

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Could be a mistake entry on his part. I've was pulled over several times over a 60 day period every time I drove my TA. For some reason my plates would show up as some car located in Birmingham but when they call in my registration to the have the office clerk run it it would show up as mine. It got so bad that I finally went to vehicle reg and had them clear it up.

It could also be a case of mistaken identity.

I would call the state police and ask them where to go from there.

Start with the GA State Patrol. I would imagine that if you do have an outstanding citation, they would have it on record. Another option might be the GA MVA/DMV. When I moved to VA and went to the MD MVA to turn my plates in, they told me at first I had an outstanding citation from a speed camera. They couldn't find it traced back to any of my plates, license,etc. So-mistakes do happen.

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

Ticket anecdote:

I blew through a yellow that the cop insisted turned red before I entered the intersection and got pulled over. LEO takes my license, registration and insurance card and goes back to his car to run them. he returns with his gun drawn and tells me to calmly exit the vehicle, turn around and put my hands on my head. Of course I comply. he cuffs me and has me sit on the curb while he tosses the car. Another cop arrives and tells the 1st that I'm not the one they are looking for. Turns out they had an APB out on on a guy with my name that had committed murder. What saved my bacon was the description: He was black and I'm white. I still got a ticket for running a red light...

That was in Hawthorne, Ca back in the early 80's. Yeah, the same Hawthorne that tasered a deaf fellow...
    Last edited by 67CamaroRSSS; 05-13-2014 at 07:46 AM.

Black / White

Quote Originally Posted by 67CamaroRSSS View Post
    Ticket anecdote:

I blew through a yellow that the cop insisted turned red before I entered the intersection and got pulled over. LEO takes my license, registration and insurance card and goes back to his car to run them. he returns with his gun drawn and tells me to calmly exit the vehicle, turn around and put my hands on my head. Of course I comply. he cuffs me and has me sit on the curb while he tosses the car. Another cop arrives and tells the 1st that I'm not the one they are looking for. Turns out they had an APB out on on a guy with my name that had committed murder. What saved my bacon was the description: He was black and I'm white. I still got a ticket for running a red light...

That was in Hawthorne, Ca back in the early 80's. Yeah, the same Hawthorne that tasered a deaf fellow...
    I guess my situation could be worse...I could have been accused of murder

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

If the TN LEO was able to see it, then chances are it may appear on your TN driving record as an out of state offense. Most states are members of the Drivers License Compact and report offenses back and forth. You can probably start by obtaining a copy of your TN record, or even your prior GA record if you can recall your license number, through the state's DMV website. I think they charge $10 here in PA for an on-line copy of the record. See what it (or they) show and report back.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

sounds like solid advice from these guys.....technology is finally catching up and states are starting to communicate with each other. My buddy went to renew his license a couple years ago here in Ohio only to find out he was in the same situation you're in now with North Carolina except Ohio wouldn't renew his license until he took care of the NC ticket.

Black / White

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    If the TN LEO was able to see it, then chances are it may appear on your TN driving record as an out of state offense. Most states are members of the Drivers License Compact and report offenses back and forth. You can probably start by obtaining a copy of your TN record, or even your prior GA record if you can recall your license number, through the state's DMV website. I think they charge $10 here in PA for an on-line copy of the record. See what it (or they) show and report back.
    will the TN record show everything on my record or just stuff in TN? Only reason I ask is because I never had a GA license even though I lived there for a short period of time. Pretty sure I had a FL license for both of those tickets.
    Last edited by theorangeguy; 05-13-2014 at 01:29 PM.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by theorangeguy View Post
    will the TN record show everything on my record or just stuff in TN?
    I would think everything which is how the LEO saw it in the first place. I bet you could go to your local DMV and explain the situation from them and as long as you don't get 1 of the many 400 lb cookie eaters that sit behind the counter they can probably help you. The cookie eaters though don't like to get up from the stool and the sheer mass of their fingers makes it uncomfortable to type....at least that's my theory.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mean Green Z28 View Post
    Don't worry about understanding women. Women understand women, and they hate each other

Gray/ White
    09Ram 1500 83 Thunderturd

Quote Originally Posted by cam02ss View Post
    Start with the GA State Patrol. I would imagine that if you do have an outstanding citation, they would have it on record. Another option might be the GA MVA/DMV. When I moved to VA and went to the MD MVA to turn my plates in, they told me at first I had an outstanding citation from a speed camera. They couldn't find it traced back to any of my plates, license,etc. So-mistakes do happen.
    Maryland just wanted one last chance to hit your wallet
    83 Thunderturd even bigger turd probably LQ4 4L80 swap at some point
    Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    the guys here know how to find a nekkid chick farting into a cake but 2+2 stumps the shit out of 'em.
    Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    My brain must be defective.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zapper2003 View Post
    Says the king of mockery and shit talking

Black / White

Pulled my TN driving record and it shows nothing...no tickets, no warrants, no nothing...going to pull my FL record next "only other license I had back then" and see what it shows...fun times.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

That's correct - whatever license you had last, you'll want to get your record from that jurisdiction.

Navy Blue
    2002 Trans Am WS6 Conv

Quote Originally Posted by theorangeguy View Post
    I guess my situation could be worse...I could have been accused of murder
    As we all learned from both "My Cousin Vinny" and "Something About Mary", never ever assume you know what you are accused of until you hear the charges. You might end up admitting to something they don't know about...yet!

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

Here are a couple of things:

I don't know why in the heck the cop pulled you over to "check your insurance." It is illegal to initiate a traffic stop (detain someone) without probable cause. That is, you must commit an offense in the officer's presence, or he must reasonably believe that you committed on offense or are in the process of committing an offense. But, whatever. That's not the issue for now.

As for the out of state ticket, a few possibilities come to mind:

The GA state database is not up to date (do you have a receipt for the ticket?).
    Your GA license plate may have been reassigned to another vehicle which got a ticket. This happened to me: I was in Washington for a few years (moved from California, where my vehicle was previously registered) when I got in the mail a notice from the CA DMV that my registration would be suspended if I didn't pay a parking ticket. The make of the vehilce was a Honda (same as my car), but it was a different model and a different color. We called the DMV and explained. They compared the VIN numbers from the ticket vs our registration and realized that it was not our car that got the ticket (of course, they didn't believe us at first, but whatever).

Gray/ White
    09Ram 1500 83 Thunderturd

I'd contact Georgia or whatever state you were licensed in then
    You could see if guy can help
    Last edited by GTP231; 05-14-2014 at 04:17 AM.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

if not I'm sure this guy could get it done......

Black
    2002 SS

Actually, a traffic stop (or a similar temporary detention if you are on foot in public) is justified by "reasonable suspicion", a lower threshold than probable cause, a term usually applicable in a physical arrest and incarceration scenario.

If the officer ran the plate and it showed uninsured (as most states are able to do) that would be a reasonable suspicion that the car was uninsured and he can stop it and verify insurance.

In some states in the driver license compact, an "FTA" or failure to appear can be noted on the driver license record, indicating the court has notified the driver license division that the driver failed to appear on a citation. A warrant is usually issued at the same time, but the FTA note on the license can remain on the driver license record indefinably if the record keeping is sloppy, slow or on paper instead of electronic (very good chance of all three).

The best way is to call a court or police department close to where you lived or got the citation and explain what you were told by the out of state officer. They should be able to give you more details as local warrant information is usually not accessible to officers in another state.
    Black 2002 SS
    SLP Airbox Lid, K&N Filter, Flowmaster Exhaust
    CDT Speakers + Sub

Quote Originally Posted by GTP231 View Post
    Maryland just wanted one last chance to hit your wallet
    Fuck Maryland

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information