Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Trademark board revokes Redskins TM

What a bunch of horse shit. Hope Synder sues the shit out them or better yet, move the team to another city if he's force to change the name.

The U.S. Patent Office ruled Wednesday that the Washington Redskins nickname is "disparaging of Native Americans" and that the team's federal trademarks for the name must be canceled.

The 2-1 ruling comes after a campaign to change the name has gained momentum over the past year. The team doesn't immediately lose trademark protection and is allowed to retain it during an appeal.

Redskins owner Daniel Snyder has refused to change the team's name, citing tradition, but there has been growing pressure including statements in recent months from President Barack Obama, lawmakers of both parties and civil rights groups.

The decision means that the team can continue to use the Redskins name, but it would lose a significant portion of its ability to protect its financial interests. If others printed the name on sweatshirts, apparel, or other team material, it becomes more difficult to go after people who use it without permission.

The decision by the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board is similar to one it issued in 1999. That ruling was overturned in 2003 in large part on a technicality after the courts decided that the plaintiffs were too old and should have filed their complaint soon after the Redskins registered their nickname in 1967.

The new case was launched in 2006 by a younger group of Native Americans, and was heard by the board in March of last year.
    The group argued that the Redskins should lose their federal trademark protection based on a law that prohibits registered names that are disparaging, scandalous, contemptuous or disreputable.

Trademark board rules against Washington Redskins name | Fox News
    Last edited by SMWS6TA; 06-18-2014 at 07:05 AM.

blue
    1999 TransAm

...this is 100% political correctness BS brought on by the left... period...

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

WOW! Like there isn't anything more important to deal with. Pure BS to the nth degree...

Navy Blue Metallic

If this stands then every sports team that is named after an Indian nation should be as well. Hell they could even force Dallas to change, I mean aren't Cowboys offensive to Indians?

I hate the 'skins but I still stand by their owner. The team was named in honor of their first head coach, who happen to be....wait for it.....a Native American Indian.

Here comes the anti-Cowboy
    Last edited by SMWS6TA; 06-18-2014 at 07:21 AM.

Black / White
    '00 T/A M6/'19 Hemi Truck

im just glad that with all the things in the country to focus on, this is at the top of the governments list...great job politicians. You should be proud of yourselves...

2002 Z28 A4 NBM

Quote Originally Posted by theorangeguy View Post
    im just glad that with all the things in the country to focus on, this is at the top of the governments list...great job politicians. You should be proud of yourselves...
    Trust me, they are...
    67 Camaro: K-K + 797-z (look it up), 454/Th400/4.10 12-bolt = 6mpg, PS/PDB/PW tilt, tach, gauges...

2005 Corvette LS2/M6 Magnetic Red Metallic (What else would it be?) w/ Cashmere interior

2002 Z28: NBM/Tan, MTI smooth lid, smooth bellows, !AIR, !cats, 1-3/4" QTP SS LT's, 2-1/2" TD's with X-pipe, MagnaFlows dumped at axle, custom welded SFC's, MidWest Chassis body mount adjustable T/A, 3400 stall, 3.23 gears (was 2.73). Tuned: 343rwhp/357rwt (before TD's). Best: 12.559 @ 108+, 1.73 60' @ 3500' DA w/MT ET Street DR's.

Carbon footprint? CLOWN SHOE!

98 Formula
    06 duramax

yep....he's screwed. He can either change the name or spend every dime he has fighting it.

Black / White

Quote Originally Posted by 67CamaroRSSS View Post
    Trust me, they are...
    oh I know they are...Nancy and Harry are probably doing cartwheels over this and consider it a "win" for the country...these jackasses drive me insane.
    2000 Black TA M6 - LT's, ORY, UMI Short Stick, TT2's, Drilled/Slotted Rotors, Braided Lines, and Tuned by Vengeance SCCA and Car Show Approved
    2019 Ram 1500 Crew Cab Laramie Limited
    2015 Ram 1500 Crew Cab Sport Premium Hemi - Sold
    2010 Hemi Crew Cab Sport Premium - Tuner and HID's - Sold
    06 Quad Cab HHHHemi - Sold
    99 Hugger Orange Camaro - Sold
    97 Camaro - Sold

blue
    1999 TransAm

...they've "emasculated" the american male, ...now they are going after "american" sports, and everything else... we've been enduring an assault on free speech for a long time now...

Navy Blue Metallic

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    yep....he's screwed. He can either change the name or spend every dime he has fighting it.

He can move. Screw DC, plenty of other cities would jump at the chance for a NFL team, even if they are the skins. He also can say and just disband the team. NFL would shit a brick.

Black / White

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    He can move. Screw DC, plenty of other cities would jump at the chance for a NFL team, even if they are the skins. He also can say and just disband the team. NFL would shit a brick.
    new mexico would be a good spot for the redskins. Texas also comes to mind...maybe San Antonio?

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    the NFL has rules in place to prevent both of those. You can't just up and move the team or even disband it for that matter. The owners all have to vote on it ect ect. If he tried to disband it the NFL would take control of the team. Even if he moves this problem will follow him where ever he goes. He has very little choice here really unless the NFL backs him which they won't do. Get ready for a name change.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mean Green Z28 View Post
    Don't worry about understanding women. Women understand women, and they hate each other

Navy Blue Metallic

I bet he won't simply just to f&^k with everyone now. It just makes it harder for the NFL and the skins to go after TM violations. They'll have to jump through more legal hoops which will make them sue for more and more often. NFL will back him up because they too lose out on any revenue from TM violations.

It's going to be one hell of a swing in political donations this year and next....

Navy Blue Metallic

Quote Originally Posted by theorangeguy View Post
    new mexico would be a good spot for the redskins. Texas also comes to mind...maybe San Antonio?
    Is there enough ppl in NM?

San Antonio is out simply because the Cowboys have a lock on everything outside of Houston. Only ppl that like the Texans are from Houston.

LA is screaming for another team but again that would be out too because CA would get their panties in a bunch about the name.

Navy Blue Metallic

Skin's Response

The Washington Redskins have responded, the Washington Post reports, expressing confidence that the ruling against their trademark will be overturned. The team’s trademark attorney Bob Raskopf released a statement saying, “We’ve seen this story before. And just like last time, today’s ruling will have no effect at all on the team’s ownership of and right to use the Redskins name and logo.”
    Raskopf cited the 1999 denial of the Redskins trademarks being followed, a few years later, by the overturning of that decision:
    We are confident we will prevail once again, and that the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board’s divided ruling will be overturned on appeal. This case is no different than an earlier case, where the Board cancelled the Redskins’ trademark registrations, and where a federal district court disagreed and reversed the Board.
    As today’s dissenting opinion correctly states, ‘the same evidence previously found insufficient to support cancellation’ here ‘remains insufficient’ and does not support cancellation.
    This ruling – which of course we will appeal – simply addresses the team’s federal trademark registrations, and the team will continue to own and be able to protect its marks without the registrations. The registrations will remain effective while the case is on appeal.
    When the case first arose more than 20 years ago, a federal judge in the District of Columbia ruled on appeal in favor of the Washington Redskins and their trademark registrations.
    Why?
    As the district court’s ruling made clear in 2003, the evidence ‘is insufficient to conclude that during the relevant time periods the trademark at issue disparaged Native Americans…’ The court continued, ‘The Court concludes that the [Board’s] finding that the marks at issue ‘may disparage’ Native Americans is unsupported by substantial evidence, is logically flawed, and fails to apply the correct legal standard to its own findings of fact.’ Those aren’t my words. That was the court’s conclusion. We are confident that when a district court review’s today’s split decision, it will reach a similar conclusion.

blue
    1999 TransAm

...i hope people see this for what it is, ..a radical leftist social-justice BS agenda infecting institutions that are supposed to be "americana", ...apolitical, ..etc...

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I would love to see what people would do if a team was formed that had an african american head as it's logo with a big ass afro and called themselves the brownskins. Bricks would be shat.

blue
    1999 TransAm

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    I would love to see what people would do if a team was formed that had an african american head as it's logo with a big ass afro and called themselves the brownskins. Bricks would be shat.
    anything can be "offensive" to somebody...

...imagine all the logos, mascots, etc... i'm sure somebody could cry foul over Notre Dame's mascot, ..or the Cleveland "Indians", ...hell, at some point some idiot will complain that farmers are offended by "Cornhuskers"..., ...if not corn it self!

...i sure hope there's pushback to this crap! ..political fascism, via DC, assault on americana!

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by wileyCoyote View Post

...imagine all the logos, mascots, etc... i'm sure somebody could cry foul over Notre Dame's mascot, ..or the Cleveland "Indians", ...hell, at some point some idiot will complain that farmers are offended by "Cornhuskers"..., ...if not corn it self!

...i sure hope there's pushback to this crap! ..political fascism, via DC, assault on americana!
    That is exactly right. It's ridiculous.

2002 Z28 A4 NBM

Quote Originally Posted by wileyCoyote View Post

On behalf of all the corn (GMO and otherwise) grown in this here USA...

Jeff, I smell a job opportunity...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information