Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Toyota tries to cover up problem...again

http://pressroom.toyota.com/pr/tms/t...7+in+San+Diego

Most have probably heard about the Prius that ran away in San Diego on March 8th.

The driver passed another car, and when he released the throttle, the car kept accelerating. The driver called 911 and the CHP had to use their cruiser as a buffer to slown down the car.

When I saw this, it just reiterated what I have known all along...that this problem has absolutely nothing to do with the throttle pedal itself. I've seen extensive tests with the US made pedals, and all have a very stiff return spring and show no sign of sticking.

By now its obvious that what is making these cars accelerate is the electronic throttle system. Its not the pedal, its not the driver, its the drive by wire. Toyota is trying to play the damage control game by replacing pedals instead of DBW systems in order to save money and avoid panic.

If you read the report, Toyota makes a bunch of bullshit claims:

- They say the pedal had no "mechanical binding or friction". Of course it didn't, that hasn't been the problem in any of the cases. Never has one of the crashed Toyota vehicles shown signs that the pedal was physically stuck.

- They say the front brakes show severe wear and damage from overheating. No kidding, the guy was riding the brakes trying to stop the car. Of course they are going to overheat and fail, they are small, shitty brakes to begin with (typical Toyota). Yet they claim the rear brakes were in "good condition" and functional - which makes no sense. If the front brakes were damaged and worn due to excessive heat, the rear brakes should show the same issue.

- They say the floor mats did not interfere. No kidding. Once again, that was never the problem. Back in November they blamed the floor mats to avoid a major recall...and look where that got them. It just caused more injuries and deaths to American citizens and they still had to recall 8.5 million vehicles anyway.

- Heres the best one - they claim there was no "trouble codes". If course there weren't any codes, none of the cars have shown any codes all along. The PCM thinks that the acceleration is normal, since it believes that the throttle position signal is being directly recieved from the throttle pedal. Of course its not, there is a fault in the system that causes the throttle to open even when the pedal is 100% released.
    Last edited by Wesman; 03-15-2010 at 08:32 PM.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I say let all of Toyaki's board members take turns driving that car for a month each if it's so safe and they're so confident nothings wrong with it. Even if the guy is lying, and he certainly could be, so what?? That's 1. What about all the others? A lady just smacked a light pole in a parking lot yesterday in her Lexus because her pedal stuck.....and that was AFTER the dealership had inspected it. I guess she's lying too just like the guy that killed his entire family. Everyone is lying.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    I say let all of Toyaki's board members take turns driving that car for a month each if it's so safe and they're so confident nothings wrong with it. Even if the guy is lying, and he certainly could be, so what?? That's 1. What about all the others? A lady just smacked a light pole in a parking lot yesterday in her Lexus because her pedal stuck.....and that was AFTER the dealership had inspected it. I guess she's lying too just like the guy that killed his entire family. Everyone is lying.
    Thats what Toyota wants the general public to believe...why the hell should anyone trust them?? They are the same people that flew planes into our ships in Pearl harbor, completely unprovoked. The Japanese philosophy is to put #1 first regardless of the cost, and never admit that they are wrong. They focus on image instead of safety. I say let them crash and burn...the company that is, not innocent Americans who were foolish enough to buy their products.

Black
    1999 Z/28 M6

that's a bit of a stretch to say that these are the same people that bombed pearl harbor. the japanese culture took a mighty swift kick in the nuts by the end of the war and was humbled. it's not exactly the same culture. although i would argue that this is dirty self preserving business interests at its worst. in the end they'll have a lot to answer for. this won't ruin them financially...but it will be a big set back for them for the foreseeable future. even ford realized that the pinto was a firebomb pos.

white
    90 Mustang 5.0

Where exactly are you getting the info that toyota is replacing pedals? Not one pedal has been replaced under this recall.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by 310stanger View Post
    Where exactly are you getting the info that toyota is replacing pedals? Not one pedal has been replaced under this recall.
    They are modifying the throttle pedals.

Toyota is maintaining that after prolonged use, the throttle pedal may become more resistant to fully return, resulting in the throttle sticking open. There has been no proof of this, and if you look on Youtube, there are multiple videos showing that the throttle pedal issue is extremely unlikely due to the design of the pedal and the strength of it's return spring. You can see its not likely to wear, and it snaps back with some considerable force.

Toyota can't figure out the real problem, so they are installing shims behind the pedal that are supposed to prevent the pedal from becoming stuck. Not that it would happen anyway, but this was the best solution they could come up.

2002 C5 - M6 - Blue
    2000 Z28 - A4 - Pewter

Quote Originally Posted by Wesman View Post
    Toyota can't figure out the real problem, so they are installing shims behind the pedal that are supposed to prevent the pedal from becoming stuck. Not that it would happen anyway, but this was the best solution they could come up.

white
    90 Mustang 5.0

They are modifying the throttle pedals.

Toyota is maintaining that after prolonged use, the throttle pedal may become more resistant to fully return, resulting in the throttle sticking open. There has been no proof of this, and if you look on Youtube, there are multiple videos showing that the throttle pedal issue is extremely unlikely due to the design of the pedal and the strength of it's return spring. You can see its not likely to wear, and it snaps back with some considerable force.

You mean the AOA and 90L recall I do about 10 times a day every day?

white
    90 Mustang 5.0

http://pressroom.toyota.com/pr/tms/t...7+in+San+Diego

Most have probably heard about the Prius that ran away in San Diego on March 8th.

The driver passed another car, and when he released the throttle, the car kept accelerating. The driver called 911 and the CHP had to use their cruiser as a buffer to slown down the car.

When I saw this, it just reiterated what I have known all along...that this problem has absolutely nothing to do with the throttle pedal itself. I've seen extensive tests with the US made pedals, and all have a very stiff return spring and show no sign of sticking.

By now its obvious that what is making these cars accelerate is the electronic throttle system. Its not the pedal, its not the driver, its the drive by wire. Toyota is trying to play the damage control game by replacing pedals instead of DBW systems in order to save money and avoid panic.

If you read the report, Toyota makes a bunch of bullshit claims:

- They say the pedal had no "mechanical binding or friction". Of course it didn't, that hasn't been the problem in any of the cases. Never has one of the crashed Toyota vehicles shown signs that the pedal was physically stuck.

- They say the front brakes show severe wear and damage from overheating. No kidding, the guy was riding the brakes trying to stop the car. Of course they are going to overheat and fail, they are small, shitty brakes to begin with (typical Toyota). Yet they claim the rear brakes were in "good condition" and functional - which makes no sense. If the front brakes were damaged and worn due to excessive heat, the rear brakes should show the same issue.

- They say the floor mats did not interfere. No kidding. Once again, that was never the problem. Back in November they blamed the floor mats to avoid a major recall...and look where that got them. It just caused more injuries and deaths to American citizens and they still had to recall 8.5 million vehicles anyway.

- Heres the best one - they claim there was no "trouble codes". If course there weren't any codes, none of the cars have shown any codes all along. The PCM thinks that the acceleration is normal, since it believes that the throttle position signal is being directly recieved from the throttle pedal. Of course its not, there is a fault in the system that causes the throttle to open even when the pedal is 100% released.
    this

white
    90 Mustang 5.0

shim doesnt go behind the pedal either.

White
    2001 RS Camaro

All I care about is a little less rice on the road.

white
    90 Mustang 5.0

Quote Originally Posted by transamgirl89 View Post
    All I care about is a little less rice on the road.
    I predict you wont get your wish

Quick Silver
    2002 Z06

I think this happening to that guy is the best proof so far.

1. He is driving their flagship hybrid
    2. He is old enough, publicity is most likely not on his list of needs.
    3. He had his lawyer on the News last night saying he was NOT going to sue and did not want anything but for the problem to be fixed.
    4. Police officers witnessed it happen and saw the smoke from the brakes.

I cannot believe they are actually trying to say he is crazy and nothing happened.

I had a bad feeling this shim thing was yet another bullshit fix.

I guess if people believe we filmed the moon landing and blew up our own buildings, this could be a real simple hoax compared to those.

Slow Passenger Window - Want Passenger Express Down - Tired of Replacing DayTime Running Light Bulbs

Camaro Owners Click Here
    Firebird Owners Click Here

Need instructions to replace your F-Body window motor?
    www.AutoTrix.net

White & Burgundy
    94 Miata/87 442

Perhaps we should send our chief investigators Fat Man and Little Boy over to Japan (technically again) to get to the bottom of this Toyota thing....

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by 310stanger View Post
    You mean the AOA and 90L recall I do about 10 times a day every day?
    Yes, the recall that is absolutely not the real fix for the unintended acceleration problem that multiple Toyota vehicles are having.

There is no evidence that any throttle pedals have actually stuck. Toyota is just assuming that because they can't find any other reason for the acceleration problem.

People who were victims of this issue even reported that while their vehicles were accelerating, they tried to pull the pedal upward with their foot, but it was already at the top of its travel.

There have also been multiple reports from people whos cars are still having unintented acceleration problems after the recall has been performed. Toyota is blaming it on "improper installation" of the recall fix, I say thats bullshit, its not the damn pedal thats causing it.

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Ever since the publicity, whenever I drive a Prius into my bay, I drive it VERY SLOOOOOOWLY.

white
    90 Mustang 5.0

Yes, the recall that is absolutely not the real fix for the unintended acceleration problem that multiple Toyota vehicles are having.

There is no evidence that any throttle pedals have actually stuck. Toyota is just assuming that because they can't find any other reason for the acceleration problem.

People who were victims of this issue even reported that while their vehicles were accelerating, they tried to pull the pedal upward with their foot, but it was already at the top of its travel.

There have also been multiple reports from people whos cars are still having unintented acceleration problems after the recall has been performed. Toyota is blaming it on "improper installation" of the recall fix, I say thats bullshit, its not the damn pedal thats causing it.
    Where did I say that the recall fixes the issue? I just perform the recall as I'm told. However my argument resided in the fact that your info was incorrect. If you are gonna "report" things, make sure your info is true, and not just what you THINK is happening.

I too believe its a software issue and if you go to www.leftlanenews.com there is an automotive professor that comes up with a very compelling possibility as to what is happening.

white
    90 Mustang 5.0

In regards to the california man, its been suggested that he did infact stage the whole ordeal as he has a very shitty financial history and theres a lot of red flags on why he would do this. He somehow had the ability to call the police while this was happening and then after getting to 95 mph he then gets the car into neutral? why wasnt this done way earlier?

white
    90 Mustang 5.0

Quote Originally Posted by gnomee View Post
    I think this happening to that guy is the best proof so far.

1. He is driving their flagship hybrid
    2. He is old enough, publicity is most likely not on his list of needs.
    3. He had his lawyer on the News last night saying he was NOT going to sue and did not want anything but for the problem to be fixed.
    4. Police officers witnessed it happen and saw the smoke from the brakes.

I cannot believe they are actually trying to say he is crazy and nothing happened.

I had a bad feeling this shim thing was yet another bullshit fix.

I guess if people believe we filmed the moon landing and blew up our own buildings, this could be a real simple hoax compared to those.
    Not all pedals get the shim.... here let me list what is done again.

two op codes for the gas pedals on toyotas
    AOA and 90L

1. AOA is performed on CTS brand pedals. This is the intallation of the shim inside the pedal itself, between the return spring/plunger
    2. 90L is the "modification" or in simple terms cutting of the pedals. Done on effected models both Denso and CTS. You cut the pedal, place a new foam tibia pad under the carpet and another foam pad on the firewall where the pedal touches upon WOT. Lastly theres a recalibration of the PCM in which the brake pedal once pressed and held down will automatically cut throttle. It works, as I tested it. Drive down the road WOT hold it and press the brake. Throttle drops right down to idle.

Prius' use Denso pedals. SO NO shim was installed on the prius in question. Its a completely different design then the CTS

Quick Silver
    2002 Z06

Of course the News does not fill us in on the PCM recalibration..

Why is that not just done to all of them? That way there is no way for someone to die. Maybe get scared, or hit a car in a parking lot but no highway speed collisions.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information