Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Something Diabolical... chuckie669's Avatar
    2000 C5 Torch Red

To Tithe or not to Tithe...

What do you guys say about Tithing? My wife just came to me and wants to give a tremendous amount per month to the church. I'm not sure what to say. I can say okay, but there's things that she/we want in life along with setting up savings for retirement, and If I say no then it puts me against god to her. Help!

NBM
    99 TA

don't give any more than you can comfortably give.
    helping out is always nice, but don't make your life suffer because of it.

Green
    94 Camaro 3.4

I'm going to withhold most of my statement, but lets just say that I think tithe is one of the dirtiest practices churches do.

Love buying generic GM's Nastyfoot's Avatar

Black, Black
    2011 "Generic" Gasser

Not to tithe.

Tithe = 10% of your gross income...........No frikkin' way!

Yeah, That's right CaptainCaveMan's Avatar
    Mexican killed my car

Quote Originally Posted by chuckie669 View Post
    What do you guys say about Tithing? My wife just came to me and wants to give a tremendous amount per month to the church. I'm not sure what to say. I can say okay, but there's things that she/we want in life along with setting up savings for retirement, and If I say no then it puts me against god to her. Help!
    As Ls1.com's resident angry atheist i view it as a scam and would flip if my wife was giving money to it.

HOWEVER....

For the sake of keeping your marriage together look at it this way: You spend extra for car parts you don't need, video games, hunting supplies, whatever it is that floats your boat that you just piss your money away on. You should look at it like this is your wife's hobby here.

I know if i just pissed away 100 bucks for a air lid for my camaro, i couldn't be that mad if she wanted to piss away 100 bucks on something that i have no interest in.

Also does she have her own job?

NBM
    2001 CAMARO

Quote Originally Posted by KyleLs1 View Post
    don't give any more than you can comfortably give.
    helping out is always nice, but don't make your life suffer because of it.
    Tithing is usually per pay period 10% before taxes.

If uncle Sam is worth 21% of of your hard income. surely God is worth 10%.

Do you and her not believe the same?
    How long have you attended the church?
    Are one of you more committed to the church?

To be honest with you , this is something you and your wife need to discuss and pray about.

A true Christian never questions tithing, because its Gods money to start with
    and he blesses you according to how you use his money, if it is for ill gains you will most likely suffer. if it is for the good of god you should prosper.

The silver is mine and the gold is mine,’ declares the Lord Almighty (Haggai 2:8).

“Who has ever given to God, that God should repay him?” (Romans 11:35).

This rhetorical question is given no answer, because the answer is obvious. You cannot give to God with any expectation that God will end up being in debt to you.
    There is a law of sowing and reaping and there are rewards for good works. But, contrary to the teachings of the prosperity crowd, you cannot act so as to place God in your debt.
    God created the universe. He sustains it by the word of His power. He doesn’t need your money, and He doesn’t want your money. What God wants is you, and He wants you with a right attitude.

"Bring ye all the tithes into the storehouse, that there may be meat in mine house, and prove me now herewith, saith the LORD of hosts, if I will not open you the windows of heaven, and pour you out a blessing, that there shall not be room enough to receive it."

2000 C5 Torch Red

Max, I understand what your saying.

I've never been consistent with attending church, but i've always believed to live my life a certain way. My wife has been a hardcore catholic her whole life and about a year ago switched to a new nondenominational church (2000+ members) in our area.

We had problems a while back while she was out of work and I know that she tried to get a job or do some work at the church and they really wanted people that gave to the church and therefore she wasn't able to work in that area.

Since then She now has a good job and spends 3 days a week at the church (seems like more time than with me) and would like me to attend with her but doesn't force me. Evertime I go it seems like they have an hour of music and 30 min of sermon and everyone leaves.

I understand about tithing and really shouldn't even be complaining, but I just have never been a fan of this church and honestly don't enjoy attending myself. I would much rather donate my time and life doing what's right and helping people, but find myself standing in that auditorium thinking that it's just a show (and that's wrong).

SOM
    2002 firebird formula

why give your hard earned money to a cause that is based completely on myths?

Black
    2014 Camaro 1LS

Quote Originally Posted by B34M3R View Post
    I'm going to withhold most of my statement, but lets just say that I think tithe is one of the dirtiest practices churches do.
    for money that feeds people with no food and help people with bills and supports a pastor who helps others. chuches have bills to pay also......light, heat, etc.......

Its called a love offering

Black
    99 Z28

To tithe...

You know, maybe it's all hokey pokey, maybe it's not. I do know that when I am doing the tithing thing as it's designed to be done my financial life works a whole lot better than when I don't.

It's all a write off anyway and churches do quite a lot which takes quite a lot of money to make things happen.

At any rate, if you're not getting anything out of church, find another one. I'm a little creeped out by some churches. The catholic church is mostly just annoying to me.

Another way to look at it is that you're probably not getting anything out of being in a church because you're probably not expecting to get anything out of it and you're certainly not putting anything into it.

Your wife is spending more time there than with you? Perhaps she's getting more out of being there than she is with you. Not saying there's anything bad or wrong there, but sometimes people start going to church because things aren't exactly going the way they'd like at home and they look to that as a place to get the changes started.

Church seems a little hokey to me sometimes and sometimes I get something out of it. Pretty much always depends on my attitude. I know that tithing has never been something I've regretted doing.

Black/Screaming Yellow
    99 S/C TA WS6 & 04 Cobra

That is a scam! I wouldn't give a church shit. Just my opinion...
    1999 Trans Am WS6 Black - Forged 346, P1SC (8psi), TH-400, and 12 bolt(3.73's)
    10.29@129 w/1.60 sixty foot

2004 Screaming Yellow Mustang Cobra - Whipple 2.3, Exhaust, & CCW's...My DD

NBM
    99 TA

We had problems a while back while she was out of work and I know that she tried to get a job or do some work at the church and they really wanted people that gave to the church and therefore she wasn't able to work in that area.
    Am i reading this right? She tried to get a job at the church but they wouldn't let her cause they wanted people who gave to the church??

I have to be misunderstanding this because if i am reading this right, then it is complete bullshit

Quote Originally Posted by Packy View Post
    That is a scam! I wouldn't give a church shit. Just my opinion...
    ive never been a church-goer and to me this sounds like a scam too - i give as much or as little money as i want, certainly not 10% of my income... fuckin tax-man takes too much as it is.

but to the op, its your money and you and your wife should agree on how it is spent - if it is too much money and it will cut in to your lifestyle then say something NOW rather than later when you are both fighting over bills that have to be paid.

2000 C5 Torch Red

[QUOTE=KyleLs1;1292694]Am i reading this right? She tried to get a job at the church but they wouldn't let her cause they wanted people who gave to the church??

I have to be misunderstanding this because if i am reading this right, then it is complete bullshit

Yes, that is correct. They were really looking for someone to fill the position that was an active member. That along with all the song and dance is probably the reason that I've never been a big fan.

Black/Screaming Yellow
    99 S/C TA WS6 & 04 Cobra

That is exactly what it is! BULLSHIT! Don't give a fucking dime!

Black
    99 Z28

to play the churches advocate on this, it kinda makes sense that they wouldn't. People who don't tithe according to what's laid out in what it takes to be a Christian (i.e. the Bible), generally live the rest of the Christian life in a 1/2 in 1/2 out commitment (I'm one of those people so I'm pointing fingers at myself here). It makes sense that it would protect themselves by only having someone who is fully committed to what the church is committed to working for them.

BTW, in before the move.... This will make it in to the politics area at some point I'm sure.

NBM
    99 TA

Yes, that is correct. They were really looking for someone to fill the position that was an active member. That along with all the song and dance is probably the reason that I've never been a big fan.
    ARE YOU SERIOUS?? Some might call that discrimination.... it would be like me appying for a job at a chinese restaraunt and they wont hire me because i am not chinese.

i wouldn't give those cocksuckers a fucking dime.

If your wife wants to give, she can give 10% of HER income and then you can say "i told you so" when she regrets it later.

2000 C5 Torch Red

I'm just going to let her do as she likes. She likes going to the church because like I said before there are a lot of people that go there and it's a chance for her to be active and social somewhere.

From what I've tallied up for the taxes we did donate close to $2200 worth of stuff last year to the church and goodwill.

Anyways, I was just curious what people here thought about the practice in general or if I'm just being greedy/materialistic.

Thanks,

Black
    2014 Camaro 1LS

I'm just going to let her do as she likes. She likes going to the church because like I said before there are a lot of people that go there and it's a chance for her to be active and social somewhere.

From what I've tallied up for the taxes we did donate close to $2200 worth of stuff last year to the church and goodwill.

Anyways, I was just curious what people here thought about the practice in general or if I'm just being greedy/materialistic.

Thanks,
    u cant out give God.........he will pay you back with benefits that are out of this world

SOM
    2002 firebird formula

Quote Originally Posted by SpeedAddict38 View Post
    u cant out give God.........he will pay you back with benefits that are out of this world
    its hard to outgive someone that doesnt exsist, people make there own destinies, i think its COMPLETE bullshit that "god" needs money, if hes the "omnipotent" one, then he should have an abundance of money to give to his greedy fucking churches, religion is a fucking scam

white
    99 Trans am

If she feels dedicated enough to the church to donate 10% of her income to it then i would not argue with her about it, as long as it does not leave you short at the end of the month. Although since you don't seem to enjoy this church i would definitly leave your income out of it.
    i would really recomend finding a church that you both would be dedicated to though.

as for the whole tithe thing in general i don't believe it is right. Why should your dedication to the church be measured by how muh $$$ you can give them? You donate what you feel comfortable with not a set amount of your income...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information