impulse blue
    06 GTO

Time to buy a clothes washer...any suggestions?

well, my washer won't agitate, and the repair guy said don't waste your money to fix it...SO.

I live alone, I do 2 loads a week. I don't need a fancy washer, just a cheap one. Are the cheap brand name washers okay? KMart has a kenmoore? for like $370 all the big box stores are like $399 or so.

any suggestions? are the cheap washers okay? -sticking with a brand name...

Gone:2001 Camaro SS #4846

Look for the local Scratch-n-Dent outlet from the major stores in your area.

There are Sears, Best Buy, and HH Gregg outlets here that will get you a brand new appliance with a scratch or dent for half regular price.

My $800 washing machine was $400 because of a dent that is invisible when installed in my laundry room.

And yes, get a good one instead of a cheapo. A good one that lasts 15 years is better than several cheap ones that last a few years each.

blue
    1999 TransAm

well, ..i have an LG frontloader (5-6yrs old now), i got as "scratch-n-dent" at HHGregg, ...one thing i hate about it is sometimes the pump is noisy (vibration), and the door seal collects moisture (near the bottom fold in the seal) after running it - which is always a source of mildew..

i also got an LG dryer back then too, "scratch-n-dent", and it wouldn't dry, had to have the control panel replaced immediately...

you can save a lot of $ on "scratch-n-dent", ..just be aware it might not be in perfect working order..

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

I've heard from lots of people front loaders are much worse on mildew than top loaders. I've also "heard" LG is brand new to appliance industry and they're still trying to work out alot of bugs, so avoid them.

Mine are Maytags, I got the mused from 2003, still working great.

Ray Charles blue

I bought Kenmore washer and dryer for pretty cheap a few years ago when I moved in to my house. I didnt have a lot of money to spend and thus far they have been great. Partially I got them because they were cheap and I got some money off becaus I bought my dish washer, fridge, stove, and the washer and dryer at the same time.

Gone:2001 Camaro SS #4846

Quote Originally Posted by KMdef9 View Post
    ...I've also "heard" LG is brand new to appliance industry and they're still trying to work out alot of bugs, so avoid them.
    LG seems to have just appeared several years ago, when actually they've been around a long time.

Many don't know their previous name though.

LG=Lucky Goldstar. Yes, THAT Goldstar. Purveyor of el cheapo TVs and VCRs at all the various Mart stores.

They've upped their game for sure, but when you were at the bottom it's not a stretch to improve.

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

Quote Originally Posted by flat-top View Post
    well, my washer won't agitate, and the repair guy said don't waste your money to fix it...SO.

I live alone, I do 2 loads a week. I don't need a fancy washer, just a cheap one. Are the cheap brand name washers okay? KMart has a kenmoore? for like $370 all the big box stores are like $399 or so.

any suggestions? are the cheap washers okay? -sticking with a brand name...
    Since you're planning on trashing it anyway take the cover off and see what's wrong with it...couldn't hurt. When mine stopped agitating it was just the coupler inbetween the motor and gear box thing...$10 part. Don't listen to the repair guy it's only not worth fixing after he gets done raping you.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I bought a Speed Queen my last washer. I will never buy any other brand ever again.

impulse blue
    06 GTO

I went to the Sears scratch and dent in Delaware (no tax) got a Maytag front loader (2000) for $489. It was new, and scratched on both sides...of course I put some more on it going down the basement. It's very quiet. The salesman said the clothes would be less wet when they come out and be less in the dryer. He was right, I was suprised.
    98 Trans Am WS6, sport gold metallic, 6spd.
    05 Suzuki GSX-R750
    '14 silverado double cab lowered

When I step out, I'm gonna do you in.

Black
    2000 WS6

LG all the way.
    I bought new ones for my wife and she loves em.
    They can handle anything with ease and it cut our utility bill down when I switched to a gas dryer.
    Be who you are and say what you feel 'cause people who mind don't matter, and people who matter don't mind.'
    -Nowhereman

hypo yellow
    2002 vx ss

Just make sure she's got big tits.

White
    1999 Transam WS6

A wife

'05 Harley - 21k m
    '98 Z28 black - 69k mi

earlier this year I replaced my 17 year old "Whirlpool" washer and dryer with brand new "Whirlpool" ($1004 delivered) washer/dryer.
    Wife runs both of those appliances Everyday - the triplets are now 14 years old, lots of dirty laundry.

"Whirlpool" because they are manufactured in Findlay, Ohio. . .I've personally been involved in building
    progressive dies that stamp out panels for Whirlpool - here in Dayton, Ohio.

I didn't purchase the expensive soft key button control panel type, got the "cheap" style with conventional
    knobs.
    Besides my other set lasted 17 years!!!

blue
    1999 TransAm

Quote Originally Posted by LimeNine View Post
    earlier this year I replaced my 17 year old "Whirlpool" washer and dryer with brand new "Whirlpool" ($1004 delivered) washer/dryer.
    Wife runs both of those appliances Everyday - the triplets are now 14 years old, lots of dirty laundry.

"Whirlpool" because they are manufactured in Findlay, Ohio. . .I've personally been involved in building

I didn't purchase the expensive soft key button control panel type, got the "cheap" style with conventional
    knobs.
    interesting.. i'm in the dayton area too. didn't know whirlpool was made in OH, ..good to know, might "bias" next time i have to buy one

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Speed Queen is also made in America (headquarters in WI). It is also built using commercial grade construction and used in most laundry facilities. They've also been in business over 100 years. Their tub is stainless steel, they spin faster than Whirlpool, and they offer a 3-yr warranty. I'm pretty sure they are one of the best, if not the best, laundry manufacturer's in the business.

Yes, I did a lot of research on washers when mine went out and Speed Queen was "it" according to every forum I went to.

Ray Charles blue

knobs.
    Triplets? Boys girls or both?

metallic burgandy
    '00Pont Grand PrixGT

knobs.
    Just about X2
    Mine were just about that old too.
    I could have kept them running, and did repair them quite a bit myself. It would be worth looking at a fix at least.
    New Whirlpools (Cabrios I think) are almost 3 years old, going strong, and nice.
    I was impressed with how quiet and efficient they are. Lots less soap and softner needed.
    Washer is much bigger than what we were used to, no agitator taking up space either,.
    I would recommend extended warranty though. I been lucky but when I was shopping, I read HORROR stories about EVERY brand. A lil' circuit board or component being 3/4 of the price of the whole machine
    I do work for GE and saw alot of their sets for CHEAP. Many co-workers own them and LOVE 'em. They were about 1/2 what I paid for mine, but I had such awesome luck with my old Whirlpools I had to do it again. Shop around look at reviews online.
    BTW wife wanted top load and I am glad we did.

Negro
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

that one

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

That works too

Thread Information