blue
    1999 TransAm

Tile Gurus? Question on Repairing Floor Tile

Well, ...i have a travertine floor in my bathroom, i installed a couple years ago. . rarely used the room (actually it's not completely "done"), ..anyway, i noticed today i have a hairline crack running across 2, maybe three tiles.

..and i think i may have "caused" the problem (can't be 100% sure though), as not long ago i tried to fix a floor/wall "pop/squeak" noise by screwing the sillplate to the subfloor (this is at one of the wall/floor interfaces in the room). my crack seems to eminate from this location, i don't know if i caused a problem that was otherwise non-existant by tightenting the subfloor to the wall there, ..given dimensional expansion/contraction w/ the weather..???

so, my question is what can i do to fix these cracks? is there some kind of repair epoxy or something i can get to fill them and hide them? i don't have pics of the cracks unfortunately, ...camera is busted.

more than likely you will always able to see the crack no matter what you put in it. If you fill it with epoxy it will probably be more noticable. best way to repair would be to replace the broken tile.

blue
    1999 TransAm

i called a tile/marble repair place, ...and they basically told me that breaking out the affected tiles and replacing is not advised, unless it loses stability/adhesion.. said that you run a risk of breaking adjacent tiles.. i can atest to that since working w/ travertine, i've learned it is very brittle.. they mentioned some stuff called traverfill, and another place sells stuff called tenax travertine putty, anyone have experience w/ using these?

how much grout is inbetween the tiles

blue
    1999 TransAm

1/8" grout lines

'05 Harley - 21k m
    '98 Z28 black - 69k mi

I'm in Englewood Oh, well actually I'm in Surfside Beach South Carolina at this very moment, my home is in Englewood. ..
    ANYWAY, I'd replace the broken tiles.

Place dry ice on the broken ones for, oh maybe an hour, then use a plunger to pop them free.

blue
    1999 TransAm

Quote Originally Posted by LimeNine View Post
    I'm in Englewood Oh, well actually I'm in Surfside Beach South Carolina at this very moment, my home is in Englewood. ..
    ANYWAY, I'd replace the broken tiles.

Place dry ice on the broken ones for, oh maybe an hour, then use a plunger to pop them free.
    well, they're not really broken, ...still affixed - and believe me i put them down good, ...good thinset, backbuttered them and all, thinset all up into the pores/cavities on the back of the tile - so i'd think they would not come up easy...

DCM
    95 Impala SS

if you scrape the grout around the tile really good, you can pop out the tile in pieces and replace it. I did that in my bathroom earlier this year. someone dropped something on it and I let it go for a while but it eventually botherd me enough to replace it. Most people didn't even notice the hairline crack. HTH

Black
    1999 Trans Am

Back out the screw you put into the sillplate and then grout the crack grout that is as close to the color of your travertine as possible. If the tiles are still affixed good and its just a hairline crack I wouldn't replace the tiles.

blue
    1999 TransAm

Quote Originally Posted by HOBS View Post
    Back out the screw you put into the sillplate and then grout the crack grout that is as close to the color of your travertine as possible. If the tiles are still affixed good and its just a hairline crack I wouldn't replace the tiles.
    yep, i took the screws out, ...hopefully that (if that was the cause) relieved any stresss on the tile... i installed the tile a couple years ago, ...i was pretty careful to follow all recommended instructions for underlayment, etc, i used good thinset, and backbuttered those travertine tiles - w/ the thinset getting all up into the porous backside of the tiles, i'd think they should be anchored in good, and would be a PITA to try to "remove"... so, i'd rather avoid removing them at all costs.

i think i'm going to order the tenax travertine filler, see if that will seal and coverup the crack... the tenax is like a glue for tile, ..i think it would hold up better than grout in there?..

Black
    1999 Trans Am

It will hold up better than the grout in the sense that it'll essentially glue the pieces back together(like you said) whereas the grout will simply fill the gap. If it's only a hairline crack and they're still set well the grout should work fine. With the screws out the crack shouldn't grow, however it might chip if your wife steps on it just right with high heels. Without seeing it its your call on which solution will work best.

blue
    1999 TransAm

i've still got grout, and sanded caulk (similar color to grout), ...i guess i'm convinced the tenax stuff will kinda bond in ways the grout and caulk won't... but, alas, i'm really kicking myself as i think i created the crack.. don't have to worry about high heels or anything, this is just a small bathroom

Black
    1999 Trans Am

Where abouts might this crack? Where you already have the grout I would be more inclined to try that first but either option should work great. Nice job on the tile BTW.

blue
    1999 TransAm

see the door jamb on the right? the crack is a couple inches right of that, kinda starts from the wall (there's an HVAC vent there) and goes toward the vanity cabinet. it doesn't go all the way across the room.. that's an old pic, thanks, for the compliment, but i have to say it's not my "forte"...

Black
    1999 Trans Am

For as small as that is I would just use whatever will hide the crack the best and forget about it. In theory the crack shouldn't grow since it was probably caused by the screws. At least that's what I'd do.

blue
    1999 TransAm

i picked up some epoxy at home depot today, ..says it can be used on stone,ceramic,etc. . i'm half tempted to try it, and sprinkle some crushed up travertine dust over it, thinking that it will help blend it in???

always dirty
    2013 Ram 2014 Caddy ATS

If you use some chips and epoxy mixed that should fill the crack. Most travertine is filled and then honed anyway. Otherwise it would look like the back with all the grooves and holes. Just use something really straight and flat to smooth it out. You could also use some clear caulk to mix in. Water cleanup and if the crack grows or shrinks the caulk will move with it.

Thread Information