Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Black
    2005 GTO

Thinking about selling the GTO

For a truck. Anyone get rid of a performance car for a truck? Regrets? More than likely I am looking at Colorado's and Rangers. What your thoughts on said trucks? I would love a new 10+ full size chevy but I am really looking for something that is equal or preferably less than what my gto is worth(gto is worth about 16k).

I will hopefully be in a house by the end of the year and need a truck for any remodeling, yard work, home depot runs ect. Plus I need something to tow a jet-ski with.

impulse blue
    06 GTO

i did the exact thing you are thinking of. I had an 06 GTO blue/blue 6spd 18's. I sold it and bought an 06 Silverado crew cab 4.8 v8. 2wd.

I recently bought a house. YES you'll need a truck.

Do I miss the Camaro's and the GTO? YES. I miss the Camaro (LS1 car) so much, I tried to buy an 02 Z28 for $10500 and get a little Ranger 4x4 for a daily driver since I live in PA. I didn't do it since I wanted to be in the house for a little longer to know how the bills are and what to expect.

I also have 2 motorcycles. a GSXR 750 and a YZ250f. The truck comes in VERY handy/usefull.

Bottom line? Wants vs. Needs.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

I had the 05 GMC Canyon with the inline 5 and I have to say that engine is a tough sum bitch.

I towed a 12ft uhaul trailer and had my bed loaded for 700 miles and it was like a mule.

GM has full size trucks with 6 cyl now. One of my buddies has it and saids it gets decent gas mileage and is able to tow a decent amount.
    Last edited by SMWS6TA; 06-21-2011 at 12:17 PM.

Gray/ White
    09Ram 1500 83 Thunderturd

Out of those 2 the Ranger will be the better deal. The Cannyons and Colorados are known for electrical problems

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Quote Originally Posted by GTP231 View Post
    Out of those 2 the Ranger will be the better deal. The Cannyons and Colorados are known for electrical problems
    Don't forget the carbon deposts building up in the intakes..

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Quote Originally Posted by JonB View Post
    For a truck. Anyone get rid of a performance car for a truck? Regrets? More than likely I am looking at Colorado's and Rangers. What your thoughts on said trucks? I would love a new 10+ full size chevy but I am really looking for something that is equal or preferably less than what my gto is worth(gto is worth about 16k).

I will hopefully be in a house by the end of the year and need a truck for any remodeling, yard work, home depot runs ect. Plus I need something to tow a jet-ski with.
    I did.. Sold the Camaro bought a Hummer..

Black
    2005 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    I did.. Sold the Camaro bought a Hummer..
    I'd take an h3 there pretty damn nice mpg sucks though.

I like the Colorado's because of the option of crew cab and 22-23 mpg hwy with the I5. They just want an arm and a leg for a crew cab I5. Almost everything I find under 15k is 70-120k on them. The rangers are dirt cheap. I can get the 4.0l with 50k or less for 12-13k just no crew cab and only 20mpg hwy.

I am seeing some Nissan frontiers pop up in my range as well. Anyone go there 2 cents on those? I would love a full size pickup but I just cant go any lower mpg than what my gto already gets not with gas prices what they are. I also don't think I can to the whole full size pickup with a v-6 just does't seem right.

its short but its skinny. jiveass's Avatar

pewter
    99 trans am

why not look around for a cheap truck so you can keep the goat?
    i got my 02 2500 for 3k......130k miles.....runs like a champ....

Liquid Red
    2008 Pontiac G8 GT

The Nissan's are good trucks. The only real issues with frontiers is the timing chain tensioners are known for going bad and creating a whining noise.

White
    2008 Hummer H3

I'd take an h3 there pretty damn nice mpg sucks though.

I like the Colorado's because of the option of crew cab and 22-23 mpg hwy with the I5. They just want an arm and a leg for a crew cab I5. Almost everything I find under 15k is 70-120k on them. The rangers are dirt cheap. I can get the 4.0l with 50k or less for 12-13k just no crew cab and only 20mpg hwy.

I am seeing some Nissan frontiers pop up in my range as well. Anyone go there 2 cents on those? I would love a full size pickup but I just cant go any lower mpg than what my gto already gets not with gas prices what they are. I also don't think I can to the whole full size pickup with a v-6 just does't seem right.
    We love it! Ended up being every last thing we'd want in a vehicle. Luxury wise it was like going from a chevette to a Lear jet..

Best so far is ~20-21 highway checking out of curiosity. Far better than the 12-13HWY I was starting to get with the 3800 Camaro @ 120k..
    Gas mileage is'nt too big of an issue, but 12 hwy is/was retarded, for an engine we never beat on that got 26HWY when we first got it..
    Even with rediculasly meticulas care, I could'nt keep it from self destructing..

Liquid Red
    2008 Pontiac G8 GT

The Nissan's are good trucks. The only real issues with frontiers is the timing chain tensioners are known for going bad and creating a whining noise.

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Anyone get rid of a performance car for a truck?
    That slowass T/A I had was sold for the Trailblazer SS. Not a true truck, but close.
    Honestly, not a single regret. I have plenty of fun driving the TBSS, but of course it is nowhere near as quick as the Trans Am was.

But I can tow almost 4 tons(at least until I stall it), it easily fits Sara's wheelchair/walker, it can be driven anytime, rides better, has legal tags, insurance is half, still looks good, handles ok with the drop, etc....

My brother loves his 2009 Titan. Mileage is his only complaint, but it isn't bad for a truck. Towed all his stuff from Denver to Seattle without a complaint.

Black
    2005 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by jiveass View Post
    why not look around for a cheap truck so you can keep the goat?
    i got my 02 2500 for 3k......130k miles.....runs like a champ....
    I have considered this as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos View Post
    That slowass T/A I had was sold for the Trailblazer SS. Not a true truck, but close.
    Honestly, not a single regret. I have plenty of fun driving the TBSS, but of course it is nowhere near as quick as the Trans Am was.

But I can tow almost 4 tons(at least until I stall it), it easily fits Sara's wheelchair/walker, it can be driven anytime, rides better, has legal tags, insurance is half, still looks good, handles ok with the drop, etc....

My brother loves his 2009 Titan. Mileage is his only complaint, but it isn't bad for a truck. Towed all his stuff from Denver to Seattle without a complaint.

I actually wish I had got a tbss 2 years ago when I got the GTO. I am still kicking my self for not getting one. This situation I am facing now was my exact reason for wanting to get one. So when I did get a house I could move crap and tow stuff.

My only reason to not get one now is mpg and price. If I get a truck i want to do it cheap under 16k preferably 13-14k so I can get it payed off a year earlier than the gto. Having my vehicle payed for about a year(rather than two) after moving into a house would be really really nice.

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

I know of a member on here that will offer you $250 more than what you paid for it.

Desert Boat Guy SouthernBornThriller's Avatar

Black 2002 T/A M6
    Green 1997 Ram 4x4

Honestly I would look at Dodge if you're in the market for a truck.

I know there seems to be very little love for Ram's around here, but the pre-09 models can be had in good shape with low miles for around $10k all day long. My dad has an 04 Ram 1500 that he bought brand new (for only $18k) and to this day the only issue he's had was needing new wheel bearings at about 100k.

To reiterate what others have said...sure would be nice to be able to afford to keep the GTO too.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I traded off my 04 on this:

thought I would miss my GTO way more than I do but I still have the f-body to get my car fix.

Plus it's a bitch to tow one of these with a GTO.

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    Click for full size

thought I would miss my GTO way more than I do but I still have the f-body to get my car fix.

Click for full size
    +2 on the missing part.. I thought I would miss Camaro and I do but not as much as I thought I would.

The Hummer was the better choice imho..

Nice to see you stop in once in a while Orion..

its short but its skinny. jiveass's Avatar

pewter
    99 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    Click for full size

Click for full size
    show off....

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    +2 on the missing part.. I thought I would miss Camaro and I do but not as much as I thought I would.

The Hummer was the better choice imho..

Nice to see you stop in once in a while Orion..
    I ain't gone for good.....just need a break. Extremely burned out on the modding thing. I'll still be around from time to time.

Black
    2005 GTO

I think I have found what i'm looking for

Silverado regency
    4.8l with 5-speed

It will not even compare to the gto in acceleration but it will fit my needs. They are cheap if you can find one, it can tow, haul crap, should be fun to drive with the 5-speed, looks good, gets about the same or slightly better mpg than the gto.

Only problem is actually finding one within a 300 mile radius. I've found one for $9,500 with 89k in south fl. I would prefer one with lower mileage but I may not have a choice as there are not many of these floating around the south.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information