Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior Member FuxOnTheFirstDate's Avatar

Shit

Thinking About Buying a Gun

Honestly, the thought of having a gun on me or in my car or whatever kinda scares me. I feel weird even considering buying a gun but with the way this world seems to be headed I may need one sooner than I think. I take trips out of town by myself pretty often and I go places by myself pretty often so I feel like I may be a target for some of these damn thugs. I'm not 25 yet but once I turn 25 I can get a CC permit in New Mexico. I've only fired a gun a handful of times in my life so I know I'll need extensive training to get comfortable with whatever gun(s) I get. My main purpose is for self defense so I would like to get a gun for the car/house and one for when I get my CC permit. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

In case you're wondering, this thread pretty much sent me over the edge.
    http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50437

Those people were a little younger than me and it made me realize that shit can happen any time, any place so I would like to do everything I can to be able to defend myself if I ever run into a situation like that. The Virginia Tech thing got to me too. I want to have a chance to stop these bastards if they try something with me.

Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6

stop being paranoid and scared....

that is an entriely wrong lesson to get from that story...

Visualize°Design°Create SSwt00SS's Avatar

'18 CTS-V
    '13 ZL1

Quote Originally Posted by FuxOnTheFirstDate View Post
    ...I want to have a chance to stop these bastards if they try something with me.
    owning a firearm does not automatically give you the right to go out and 'stop' anything...

prevention is whats needs to be known and understood when it comes to CC and firearms. once a person has commited to act out in a voilent streak you are not stopping that party, you are simply 'preventing' them from doing further harm to themselves or the public in general. once that person has started down that path of destruction, you are in a reactive state, since no one and truely be proactive in knowing when someone is going to lose it...

honestly if you truely wanted to make a difference FOTFD, you'd want to become an LEO and get the people off the streets, unfortunately for those of us that know you best know, it would be against everything you ever have said...

Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by SSwt00SS View Post
    ...honestly if you truely wanted to make a difference FOTFD, you'd want to become an LEO and get the people off the streets, unfortunately for those of us that know you best know, it would be against everything you ever have said...
    exactly

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

You'll just get yourself in trouble with it. But if you insist on getting one make sure you get alot of trigger time and learn your states laws on deadly force/brandishing very carefully.

The problem with untrained people and CCW permits is that it's human instinct to go straight to your weapon if a situation comes up...wether it's needed or not. It can save your life or put you behind bars for life.

Shit
    Quote Originally Posted by derrinx View Post
    stop being paranoid and scared....

that is an entriely wrong lesson to get from that story...
    How? People were brutally slaughtered by other people. I don't have a gun and I would like to get one or two to hopefully be able to defend myself if something like that happens to me. Hopefully I'll never have to use them but I would like to know I've got an option if something like that ever happens.

Shit
    Quote Originally Posted by SSwt00SS View Post
    owning a firearm does not automatically give you the right to go out and 'stop' anything...
    So I have the right to keep and bear arms but I don't have the right to defend myself?

prevention is whats needs to be known and understood when it comes to CC and firearms. once a person has commited to act out in a voilent streak you are not stopping that party, you are simply 'preventing' them from doing further harm to themselves or the public in general. once that person has started down that path of destruction, you are in a reactive state, since no one and truely be proactive in knowing when someone is going to lose it...
    No shit? Of course I want one or two for prevention. If they try to car jack me, break into my house, etc. I want to "prevent" them from harming me if I can. I thought that was obvious but I guess not.

honestly if you truely wanted to make a difference FOTFD, you'd want to become an LEO and get the people off the streets, unfortunately for those of us that know you best know, it would be against everything you ever have said...
    I could give a shit about making a difference. There is no way I would ever be a cop. How did we get on that subject anyway? I want a gun or two for self protection. The cops can keep doing their thing but I want to be able to defend myself if something potentially life threatening happens to me. Your opinion of me is greatly appreciated, lol.

Shit
    exactly

All you guys know is a screen name on an internet message board. Real life and messing around on a message board because you are bored are two different things. Yes, I don't like cops for many reasons, but law enforcement has nothing to do with this thread. The topic of this thread is about self defense and self protection, not going out and trying to get the bad guys off the street (which seems to be working very well, BTW ).

Shit
    Quote Originally Posted by SeVeReDiStOrTiOn View Post
    You'll just get yourself in trouble with it. But if you insist on getting one make sure you get alot of trigger time and learn your states laws on deadly force/brandishing very carefully.

The problem with untrained people and CCW permits is that it's human instinct to go straight to your weapon if a situation comes up...wether it's needed or not. It can save your life or put you behind bars for life.
    I know. I plan on forgetting about it unless something happens and I will get extensive training with it. I'm not an idiot, I'm not going to pull it out when someone gives me the finger. I'm talking life and death situations like what happened in that story. MAYBE if the guy had a gun in his car he could have prevented his and his girl's deaths. Maybe.

Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6

All you guys know is a screen name on an internet message board. Real life and messing around on a message board because you are bored are two different things. Yes, I don't like cops for many reasons, but law enforcement has nothing to do with this thread. The topic of this thread is about self defense and self protection, not going out and trying to get the bad guys off the street (which seems to be working very well, BTW ).
    agreed, i dont knwo you as a person and im gald you dont know me.. but thinking that you need to go out and buy a gun JUST IN CASE this happens to you is paranoid. it WON'T happen to you, and carrying around a gun is statistically more liekly to cause problems for you than saving you. for example, if you get pulled over for speeidng and a cop is thinking of letitng you go, he is probably gonna be less forgiving if he sees you with a licensed permitted hangun, because hes probably goign to think ohh ehres another stupid amercian who thinks im not doing my job well enough and needs to take the law into his own hands. the best protection is prevention, not a bigger gun

Black Hardtop
    01 NHRA Formula

Learn martial arts. forget the gun.
    Plus its good cardio.....

Shit
    agreed, i dont knwo you as a person and im gald you dont know me.. but thinking that you need to go out and buy a gun JUST IN CASE this happens to you is paranoid. it WON'T happen to you
    It happened to them and it could happen to me. It more than likely won't, but then again I more than likely won't get in a wreck either. I still want airbags and a seatbelt just in case though.

, and carrying around a gun is statistically more liekly to cause problems for you than saving you.
    I'm not worried about that. I can handle myself just fine.

for example, if you get pulled over for speeidng and a cop is thinking of letitng you go, he is probably gonna be less forgiving if he sees you with a licensed permitted hangun, because hes probably goign to think ohh ehres another stupid amercian who thinks im not doing my job well enough and needs to take the law into his own hands. the best protection is prevention, not a bigger gun
    I don't know where to begin on this one. Wow. If you rely on the cops to protect you then you are in real trouble. Just ask any one of them. They "can't be everywhere at once" as they often say themselves and we have a constitutional right to be armed. Yet you think they don't like that? Wow. And in response to "the best protection is prevention, not a bigger gun", why don't you tell that to the school shooting victims' families and to the families of the couple that were brutally killed by those guys. Tell me how they could have prevented that happening to them. What should they have done, not driven their car or gone to school?

Shit
    Quote Originally Posted by Scanlamp View Post
    Learn martial arts. forget the gun.
    Plus its good cardio.....
    That is a good idea too. However, martial arts might not work very well when the other guy has a gun. I can understand using it to get the gun away from him if he hasn't already drawn it though.

Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6

And in response to "the best protection is prevention, not a bigger gun", why don't you tell that to the school shooting victims' families and to the families of the couple that were brutally killed by those guys. Tell me how they could have prevented that happening to them. What should they have done, not driven their car or gone to school?
    the vt incident had warnign sighns all over it, where many administartors faiueld to see the red flags. now i agree 110% if every student had a gun the psychotic f*ck wouldnt have killed so many, but i promise you the amount of deaths caused by that one incident would be miniscule compared to the amount of other accidental and intentional deaths if everyone was armed.

as far as that couple, its very unfortunate. and more than likely unpreventable, but i doubt if that guy had a gun he would have been saved. it not really easy to shoot 5 people before any of them cna do something if your already at gunpoint....

Black
    2002 Formula Firehawk

dude in my opinion youre buying a gun for the wrong reasons. I own a gun but its for my job. If i wouldnt have this job i wouldnt have a gun. Just my opinion

Sebring Silver
    2000 CamaroSS

Thinking about buying a gun eh???

Well DON'T.....you'd get capped for sure

2nd last of the lt1s EVAR 94z28l's Avatar

purple pearl metalic
    1994 Z28 Camaro

i have a couple guns but it's because i like em and i enjoy target shooting

Shit
    I thought I would get more positive responses out of this. I take it there aren't many NRA members here, lol.

Shit
    the vt incident had warnign sighns all over it, where many administartors faiueld to see the red flags. now i agree 110% if every student had a gun the psychotic f*ck wouldnt have killed so many, but i promise you the amount of deaths caused by that one incident would be miniscule compared to the amount of other accidental and intentional deaths if everyone was armed.

as far as that couple, its very unfortunate. and more than likely unpreventable, but i doubt if that guy had a gun he would have been saved. it not really easy to shoot 5 people before any of them cna do something if your already at gunpoint....
    Sure there were warning signs...after the fact. None of the students who are now dead had any idea about this guy or what he could do. I also don't think that every person should be armed because there are a lot of idiots out there. I think that a lot of training is needed and that is what I want for myself. I could give a shit about what other people do, I just want to protect myself. If others want to as well, fine. If they don't, that is fine too. You're probably right about that couple but there would have been a possibility of "preventing" the guys from killing them if the guy had a gun too.

I saw on the news one time that some guy shot a guy that tried to carjack him at gunpoint. The guy had really dark tinted windows (I doubt that couple did but who knows?) and simply fired through the window and killed the carjacker. So you see, tinted windows can be helpful but the cops don't want you to have them for that very same reason I bet. They don't want to get shot like that carjacker did. So I can see why dark tint is illegal but that is also why I will have dark tint on my windows. I don't want whoever is outside my car to be able to see what I'm doing inside. That way if someone tries to carjack me and I do have a gun, I've got a little present for them.

White
    '10 ZR1

I am considering applying for a permit and buying a gun too, for my own reasons.............before the government "doesn't let us" anymore. I can see it happening, and I believe it to be a good thing to excercise my right to bear arms.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information