Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    92 K Blazer/'03 H-D Deuce

Thinking about being a cop.. need opinions/insight

Im 28 and have been working in the mortgage recovery/collections since i was 20. I'm tired of the industry. The pay used to be 6 figs and now i'm making almost half. Its been very humbling and a big change in lifestyle. I'd love to get out of the office and do something I've always really wanted to do. I'm ready for a career change and a new challenge. I live in Charlotte and the city/county force is the largest in the state. It seems fairly easy to qualify, I just really dont have any cop friends/connections. Any advice/warnings from law enforcement/agents here on the board? My ultimate goal is to finish school and get on a list for a fed agent.. atf/fbi if at all possible.

thanks for the support!
    Last edited by whoa guy; 06-28-2010 at 07:56 PM.

Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

know A LOT of cops (used to work at 7-11). I know some ppl that became cops after college and some who dropped and went. What do u really want from this field? What r your goals? As far as salary, the cops in my neighboring town who have been there for 10 yrs get paid 90k.

Well.. its always been in the back of my mind, this is what i'd like to do, at least be in this field. Lately its been on my mind a lot and I might want to give it a shot. I know the starting salary kinda blows, and i'm not too concerned about it but like you mentioned, after 5-10 years, the pays is pretty good . The benefits are good too which is def a plus. I'm pretty confident and thrive off self-satisfaction.. i think i'd accel pretty quickly. All I know is an office/banking enviornment, but i've always been the loud/outspoken/no hold barred guy. I know i'd be killing myself slowly if i conformed and became a corporate drone for the rest of my life. I'm at a life crossroads...
    Last edited by whoa guy; 06-28-2010 at 08:26 PM.

Desert Boat Guy SouthernBornThriller's Avatar

Black 2002 T/A M6
    Green 1997 Ram 4x4

I'm sure jad628 could give you all the info you could want about being a cop in Charlotte (he is one).

Not a cop, but I do live here. (Well, when I'm not off playing Marine). Law enforcement is definitely a stable career in this town. We do have it all from the lowest street gang issues up to high level white collar crime courtesy of the banking presence, so I'm sure you could find a fit if you worked towards a goal.

Also, you mentioned going the fed route. Do you want to stay in Charlotte? Because you won't if you get on with any fed agency. They don't like sending guys to their hometowns to work, and regardless you'll still get moved every 3 years or so based on "the needs of the agency". My dad has a friend in USPIS who's first assignment was in North Dakota. Couple years later...Texas. Currently in Florida.

2011 Silverado CC 4x4 6.2

There's a lot of paperwork/office work/sitting around indoors involved in most federal law enforcement agencies, remember that when you're checking out anything like ATF, DEA, FBI, FAMS, Secret Service, ICE, etc. There are very few federal agencies where you are outside almost all the time, and only one where you are always active (and that one's level of activity varies by your location). Becoming a local/county/state LEO is definitely a good first step for you towards working for the fereal government; however, also keep in mind that you will have to go through a federal training academy to get the job, no matter how much prior law enforcement experience you have. After 5+ years of service as an officer, most people don't want to go to another academy to get treated like dirt for another X months.

Aside from all that, law enforcement can be a rewarding career, and I have no interest in changing career paths any time soon.

Black
    99 SS Vert M6

There are some perks. My BF got laid a lot for giving the local news gal a heads up on a location where breaking news is happening. Didn't matter if it was a trailer house fire either. Rarely paid for lunches too.

always dirty
    2013 Ram 2014 Caddy ATS

Maybe you can go down to a station near you and talk to some officers. Get some info on what they like or dislike. Do you need a degree down there to become an officer? I have a friend that was NYPD and retired after 20 years. He is in his early 40's enjoying life.

thanks for the input. No degree is required, at least for the charlotte force. I'm going to email the recruitment office and get some more information. I work about 1mi from the city police & fire academy. I'm not concerned about taking a pay cut, but i think it could be pretty rewarding after awhile.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

not much to offer info wise but if you're interested in doing it I say go for it. The mortgage business will always be there but you're only young enough to chase dreams once. I have a lot of respect for the job that cops do and appreciate them for doing it. Very honorable career path.

Desert Boat Guy SouthernBornThriller's Avatar

Black 2002 T/A M6
    Green 1997 Ram 4x4

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iORpLPmFfHU"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iORpLPmFfHU[/ame]

I had to...

Red, Pewter
    03 cobra07 street glide

not to sure about the pay down there but for the rcmp it starts at 46000 goes up to 53000 in 6 months than 6 months later it goes up again and by the 3rd year its 77000. and i know a detachment that my ex told me that everyone made 100000 with over time. i have a buddy in the rcmp and he loves it there is a lot of paperwork you have to do every ticket you do every court case that the idiot that wants to go to court for some dumb reason or the ones that deserve to go to jail. you get to see a lot of interesting stuff and beat the piss out of some people to or shoot them lol. drive fast and usually if you get pulled over once your a cop they let you go depending on what you do.

White
    99 Pontiac Trans Am #2466

Do it!! You could love it. I dont regret it one bit.

04 Cobra 'vert - M6 mysti
    02 WS6 coupe - A4 red

I look back and wish I had gone this route. So tired of watching all my IT jobs get outsourced to other countries. At least they haven't figured out a way to outsource police work yet.

Talk to Cam02SS.... I heard he is looking for a partner in more then one way.

Everything fiberglass
    2005 Amberlamps

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    you're only young enough to chase dreams once.
    This times a million.

04 Cobra 'vert - M6 mysti
    02 WS6 coupe - A4 red

Quote Originally Posted by brendan.9 View Post
    not to sure about the pay down there but for the rcmp it starts at 46000 goes up to 53000 in 6 months than 6 months later it goes up again and by the 3rd year its 77000. and i know a detachment that my ex told me that everyone made 100000 with over time..
    Do they need 40 year old recruits? I've been thinking of a career change.

Awaiting Activation

Silver / black
    95 Z28

It can't hurt to apply. Things to keep in mind though...do you have a record? can you pass the physical test? can you pass the backround investigation? Psych eval? Polygraph? also, it can be stressful at times. My parents are both offficers and as one myself, it's no walk in the park. If you have the mental grit then I say go for it. It's very rewarding and definately gives you a sense of pride to know that you are out there trying to make you beat a safer place......on another note....whatever jackass said you should do it because you get laid alot or because his buddy hardly ever had to pay for lunch.....he can shove it. Once his buddies sergeant catches onto him accepting free shit, his ass in under investigation and on his way out.

Black
    2002 Camaro SS (crashed)

I say go for it. You'll find out really quick if it's for you or not. A few years back I went for it and made it all the way through the background and even got my recruit number but then the state went broke and all the the police academies went on hold. I still get emails every now and then if I still want to be on waiting list.

Everything fiberglass
    2005 Amberlamps

Quote Originally Posted by brendan.9 View Post
    not to sure about the pay down there but for the rcmp it starts at 46000 goes up to 53000 in 6 months than 6 months later it goes up again and by the 3rd year its 77000. and i know a detachment that my ex told me that everyone made 100000 with over time. i have a buddy in the rcmp and he loves it there is a lot of paperwork you have to do every ticket you do every court case that the idiot that wants to go to court for some dumb reason or the ones that deserve to go to jail. you get to see a lot of interesting stuff and beat the piss out of some people to or shoot them lol. drive fast and usually if you get pulled over once your a cop they let you go depending on what you do.
    "and beat the piss out of some people to or shoot them lol"

You know how I can tell you're 15 years old?

Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by 86 IROC-Z View Post
    "and beat the piss out of some people to or shoot them lol"

You know how I can tell you're 15 years old?
    LOL seriously
    "Life is to short to drive a slow car"

Gone but not forgoten: 1998 Pontiac Trans Am M6 "The Black Bandit"
    Bought- 11-18-05
    Sold- 10-14-08

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information