There is no WAY a cell phone works at 30,000 feet.

Sorry man, Uncle flys for fedex, sister works as a flight attendant. I fly all the time. I have both verizon and tmobile, flying over some large popuated cities, niether one works over 2500 feet.

Maybe you were below 2,000 or so feet. But for damn sure you were not at flight level above 2k. ALSO, moron, how do u have a convo on a flight without getting your ass yelled at by other passengers or flight attendents. Just quit the bullshit.

Or maybe you were just fucking nuts, either way, there's no way a person could have a full convo at 30k feet!

Nice try though.
    Last edited by J3ff; 05-18-2006 at 05:47 PM.

Black
    1998 Camaro SS Vert M6

this cannot happen.

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

someone's validating the flight 93 conspiracy

'57,'63,'70,'91,'01

truth!

Quote Originally Posted by dipherentdesign
    someone's validating the flight 93 conspiracy
    Actually - i was just responding to some moron who says he had a full convo with his mom while at crusing alt. on a flight over the nevada desert.

It'd be hard enough to get a signal over NYC at 3k feet, you think an area with no towers is gonna make it 30k feet?

Quote Originally Posted by J3ff
    Actually - i was just responding to some moron who says he had a full convo with his mom while at crusing alt. on a flight over the nevada desert.

It'd be hard enough to get a signal over NYC at 3k feet, you think an area with no towers is gonna make it 30k feet?

Gee i guess when a member on here had his cell phone ring on a flight he was lying to. Sorry you have to lie and say your whole family flies just to try and get a point across.

So i guess your calling the fpeople who received phone calls from thier loved ones liars? Good for you.

J3ff, Modulistic

And thus the crazy conspiracy thread begins.

"Bigrus must work for bush this is why he recieved the phone call"

Quote Originally Posted by Bigrus
    Gee i guess when a member on here had his cell phone ring on a flight he was lying to. Sorry you have to lie and say your whole family flies just to try and get a point across.

So i guess your calling the fpeople who received phone calls from thier loved ones liars? Good for you.
    If they were above 2000-2500 feet, there just isnt a way a NORMAL cell phone would make the connection, it's NOT possible.

Also - the guy who thought his cell phone was ringing - at 30k feet, he's wrong.

Maybe he was getting a "no service" beep, or a "low battery beep" or an "email waiting beep"

who knows, but for damn sure he wasnt at crusing altitude and got a cell phone call.

Also - the people on the plane were flying up the hudson river right? way below 2000 feet............

J3ff, Modulistic

And thus the crazy conspiracy thread begins.

"Bigrus must work for bush this is why he recieved the phone call"
    please keep this ON TOPIC and do not derail the convo, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by J3ff
    please keep this ON TOPIC and do not derail the convo, thanks.
    You pretty much derailed and lost the convo when you had to insult me and call me a moron.

Funny thing is i did not even have to post and you could not make a sound argument without throwing an insult
    Last edited by Bigrus; 05-18-2006 at 06:47 PM.

The Herpes of LS1.com Modulistic's Avatar

gray
    07 duramax

bigrus. I made this statment on 5/2/06, in a different thread long before you tried to pin my down as contradicting myself when I said that a phone could ring but not make a connection.

then I precisely explained how it would happen.

The most that could have happened is it said you 'made a call' in your cell phone history. and MAYBE MAYBE it shows a recieved call in your moms phone.
    http://ls1.com/forums/showthread.php...ght=cell+phone

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

it was a pretty wide open topic...hence the direction i took it. I thought this thread was directly related to the other 9/11 conspiracy thread.

Also we have three damn threads of this already. Each time no side wins because you say it cannot others have said it has happened to them. Then you say it could, but in a rare case then we go in circles.

Then ONCE the thread dies down its like you just PM random people to go along with you and make a new thread. Give it a rest im sick of being caught up in these threads when all they do is get locked in the end.

Also we have three damn threads of this already. Each time no side wins because you say it cannot others have said it has happened to them. Then you say it could, but in a rare case then we go in circles.

Then ONCE the thread dies down its like you just PM random people to go along with you and make a new thread. Give it a rest im sick of being caught up in these threads when all they do is get locked in the end.
    LoL nobody pm's anyone - I just see bullshit and I call it. Sorry if you cant handle that.

How did you avoid getting told to shut up by other passengers and flight attendents.

The Herpes of LS1.com Modulistic's Avatar

gray
    07 duramax

I promise on my grave and a stack of bibles I didnt PM anyone to go along with me.

SUPREME member-oderator oneBADDz's Avatar

Custom Slate Blue
    99 B4C

cell phone towers, in clear terrain, are good for 5 miles. 30,000 feet is just over 5.5 miles. The distance, as long as the plane is DIRECTLY over the tower is acceptable. Your phone would have to hop towers faster than they are capable to carry an ongoing conversation. Ringing is possible if timed just right, a conversation is well beyond unlikely, but not necessarily impossible based on the science of the system.

Pewter
    all bore 370 Trans Am

this is just gonna become a pissing match....

Using this formula, we can get a best-case estimate for the probability of cellphone success from a slow-moving light aircraft, as summarized in the following table.
    altitude (feet) probability of cellphone call getting through
    4,000 0.400
    8,000 0.100
    12,000 0.040
    16,000 0.025
    20,000 0.016
    24,000 0.011
    28,000 0.008
    32,000 0.006

So they are showing there is a chance that it can go through... or am i just reading it wrong

I for one have tried to make a call above 5000 feet a few times when out flying with some friends...... I was out over the long island sound and they were on their boat, we dropped to 2000 and the phone still could not get enough of a lock to place the call.

Are you sure you werent on some kind of drug? maybe it was a dream

Thread Information