Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

red
    1998 z28

Text Messaging Car Accident

Public service massage is way to graphic.

Video - Text Messaging Car Accident

here are the facts.

Teen Driver Cell Phone and Texting Statistics

•Despite the risks, the majority of teen drivers ignore cell phone driving restrictions.
    •Talking on a cell phone while driving can make a young driver's reaction time as slow as that of a 70-year-old.
    •56% of teenagers admit to talking on their cell phones behind the wheel, while 13% admit to texting while driving. (Note: Because this information was given voluntarily by teens, actual cell phone use numbers may be much higher.)
    •48% of young Americans from 12-17 say they've been in a car while the driver was texting.
    •52% of 16- and 17-year-old teen drivers confess to making and answering cell phone calls on the road. 34% admit to text messaging while driving.
    •In 2007, driver distractions, such as using a cell phone or text messaging, contributed to nearly 1,000 crashes involving 16- and 17-year-old drivers.
    •Over 60% of American teens admit to risky driving, and nearly half of those that admit to risky driving also admit to text messaging behind the wheel.
    •Each year, 21% of fatal car crashes involving teenagers between the ages of 16 and 19 were the result of cell phone usage. This result has been expected to grow as much as 4% every year.
    •Almost 50% of all drivers between the ages of 18 and 24 are texting while driving.
    •Over one-third of all young drivers, ages 24 and under, are texting on the road.
    •Teens say that texting is their number one driver distraction.

Cell Phones, Text Messaging, and Car Accident Information for All Drivers

•Talking on a cell phone causes nearly 25% of car accidents.
    •One-fifth of experienced adult drivers in the United States send text messages while driving.
    •In 2008 almost 6,000 people were killed and a half-million were injured in crashes related to driver distraction.
    •At any given time during daylight hours in 2008, more than 800,000 vehicles were driven by someone using a hand-held cell phone.
    •4 out of every 5 accidents (80%) are attributed to distracted drivers. In contrast, drunk drivers account for roughly 1 out of 3 (33%) of all accidents nationally.
    •Texting while driving is about 6 times more likely to result in an accident than driving while intoxicated.
    •People who text while driving are 23% more likely to be in a car accident.
    •A study of dangerous driver behavior released in January 2007 by Nationwide Mutual Insurance Co. found that of 1,200 surveyed drivers, 73% talk on cell phones while driving. The same 2007 survey found that 19% of motorists say they text message while driving.
    •In 2005, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration found that 10% of drivers are on handheld or hands free cell phones at any given hour of the day.
    •A study conducted by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety Motorists found that motorists who use cell phones while driving are four times more likely to get into crashes serious enough to injure themselves.
    •In 2002, the Harvard Center for Risk Analysis calculated that 2,600 people die each year as a result of using cellphones while driving. They estimated that another 330,000 are injured.
    •According to the Human Factors and Ergonomics Society, drivers talking on cell phones are 18% slower to react to brake lights. They also take 17% longer to regain the speed they lost when they braked
    •Of cell phone users that were surveyed, 85% said they use their phones occasionally when driving, 30% use their phones while driving on the highway, and 27% use them during half or more of the trips they take.
    •84% of cell phone users stated that they believe using a cell phone while driving increases the risk of being in an accident.
    •The majority of Americans believe that talking on the phone and texting are two of the most dangerous behaviors that occur behind the wheel. Still, as many as 81% of drivers admit to making phone calls while driving.
    •The number of crashes and near-crashes linked to dialing is nearly identical to the number associated with talking or listening. Dialing is more dangerous but occurs less often than talking or listening.
    •Studies have found that texting while driving causes a 400% increase in time spent with eyes off the road.

Study Reveals the Dangers of Texting While Driving
    The following statistics come from a study conducted by the Virginia Tech Transportation Institute (VTTI):

•Of all cell phone related tasks - including talking, dialing, or reaching for the phone - texting while driving is the most dangerous.
    •Teen drivers are four times more likely than adults to get into car crashes or near crash events directly related to talking on a cell phone or texting.
    •A car driver dialing a cell phone is 2.8 times more likely to get into a crash than a non-distracted driver.
    •A driver reaching for a cell phone or any other electronic device is 1.4 times more likely to experience a car crash.
    •A car driver talking on their phone is 1.3 times more likely to get into an accident.
    •A truck driver texting while driving is 23.2 times more likely to get into an accident than a trucker paying full attention to the road.
    •A truck driver dialing a cell is 5.9 times more likely to crash.
    •A trucker reaching for a phone or other device is 6.7 times more likely to experience a truck accident.
    •For every 6 seconds of drive time, a driver sending or receiving a text message spends 4.6 of those seconds with their eyes off the road. This makes texting the most distracting of all cell phone related tasks.

maple red
    2000 trans am

To tell u the truth i dont know how talking on the phone is distracting, i mean im still looking at the road and the things that r around me... it would be the same thing if i was talking to someone in the car but im just doing it trough the phone...

(Text Messaging is anothor story)

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

I had a chick almost hit me from behind yesterday. I was stopped and a woman in a Grand Cherokee came up pretty fast and she stopped like a foot off from my rear bumper. I looked in my rearview and she was looking down(texting). The light turned green and when I left the light, all I saw was her windshield and her looking down...AGAIN. We had to stop for a crossing guard and as she looked up I yelled out the window "YOU WANNA LOSE THE HAIR ON YOUR HEAD...DON'T YA??!!" I assume she heard me as the clueless look turned to a scowl on her face. She did keep her distance(5 car lengths) and I was on my way.

This Light Dinner Is Over hamburger68's Avatar

Silver
    1998 Camaro Z28 A4

in fact, talking to the person in the passenger seat is distracting, too. but there's something different in the dynamics of a phone call, mainly because a person next to you reacts to your non-verbal communication and takes part in the traffic situations. meaning, he/she shuts up when traffic gets difficult.

i personally use a hands-free-device when i make/take calls while driving, and i never text. also, i try not to get too involved in the phone conversation and adjust my style of driving to a more passive one.

Black
    2001 WS6

Quote Originally Posted by cammed goat View Post
    I had a chick almost hit me from behind yesterday. I was stopped and a woman in a Grand Cherokee came up pretty fast and she stopped like a foot off from my rear bumper. I looked in my rearview and she was looking down(texting). The light turned green and when I left the light, all I saw was her windshield and her looking down...AGAIN. We had to stop for a crossing guard and as she looked up I yelled out the window "YOU WANNA LOSE THE HAIR ON YOUR HEAD...DON'T YA??!!" I assume she heard me as the clueless look turned to a scowl on her face. She did keep her distance(5 car lengths) and I was on my way.
    lmao lose the hair on your head? i'd of revved it the first time, then gotten out of the car the second time

Everything fiberglass
    2005 Amberlamps

Quote Originally Posted by Dann View Post
    To tell u the truth i dont know how talking on the phone is distracting, i mean im still looking at the road and the things that r around me... it would be the same thing if i was talking to someone in the car but im just doing it trough the phone...

(Text Messaging is anothor story)
    It's not the act of holding the phone that distracts drivers. It's the conversation itself. Even with hands-free devices the danger is still there. If though the eyes maybe fully focused on the road ahead, if the mind is distracted with conversation (especially if the conversation is stressful, such as an argument with a loved one), the person's reaction time will be severely prolonged due to the fact that driving isn't the first priority active in their thought process during said conversation.

Black
    2001 WS6

Quote Originally Posted by 86 IROC-Z View Post
    It's not the act of holding the phone that distracts drivers. It's the conversation itself. Even with hands-free devices the danger is still there. If though the eyes maybe fully focused on the road ahead, if the mind is distracted with conversation (especially if the conversation is stressful, such as an argument with a loved one), the person's reaction time will be severely prolonged due to the fact that driving isn't the first priority active in their thought process during said conversation.
    lol dude, your "amberlamps" under your pic, thats awsome. after the epic beard man guy?

Arctic White
    2000 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by 86 IROC-Z View Post
    Could not have been said better. The number 1 cause of all accidents driver inattention. A study in The New England Journal of Medicine found that drivers who used mobile phones while driving were four times more likely to crash than those not, a rate equal to that for drunken driving at the .01 level, which is 20% higher than the current .08 in all U.S. states.

The number 1 job of the person behind the wheel is to drive. Anything else and your putting yourself and everyone else around you at risk.
    Last edited by Z28Thunder; 05-25-2010 at 04:26 PM.

Bright Red
    1999 Trans Am Ws6

I didn't pay out the ass for a jawbone to use it while not driving.

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

If someone calls me, I will let the call go to voicemail.

Everything fiberglass
    2005 Amberlamps

Quote Originally Posted by Ramairgod84 View Post
    lol dude, your "amberlamps" under your pic, thats awsome. after the epic beard man guy?

Quote Originally Posted by Z28Thunder View Post
    Could not have been said better. The number 1 cause of all accidents driver inattention. A study in The New England Journal of Medicine found that drivers who used mobile phones while driving were four times more likely to crash than those not, a rate equal to that for drunken driving at the .01 level, which is 20% higher than the current .08 in all U.S. states.

The number 1 job of the person behind the wheel is to drive. Anything else and your putting yourself and everyone else around you at risk.
    Yeah, I think I read that same study or one very similar to it a few years ago, it compared the attention of a cell-phone-using-driver to that of a drunk-driver and iirc in some cases the drunk-driver came out on top
    Quote Originally Posted by Smkn_TA View Post
    I didn't pay out the ass for a jawbone to use it while not driving.
    I literally laughed out loud at this, bravo.
    Quote Originally Posted by cammed goat View Post
    If someone calls me, I will let the call go to voicemail.
    This. Not necessarily because I intend to be a safe driver, but because generally I can't be fucked to talk with whoever is calling me because it's usually about stupid shit I don't care about (Read: female callers). I regularly silence incoming calls when just sitting at my desk doing jack shit.

I'm also really bad about texting people back; I'll get a text, read it, and be like "fucking yeah, whatever" and toss the phone aside. Then a few days later I'll either notice it in my inbox or just spontaneously remember and I'm all "oh, right, I guess I should text them back.... maybe later."

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

I don't use my phone while driving, and I don't text, period.

I always get mad at my kids when they call me when they're driving too.

Awaiting Activation

Silver / black
    95 Z28

Im guilty of texting and driving...HOWEVER... I have memorized where the buttons on the phone are and how many clicks it is to get to the letter I want....as such...I don't need to look at the phone to text......

ANYWHO... I saved the life of 3 children who's mother decided she wanted to be on the phone and hit me in traffic.....let me set the scene.... 80 degrees out, t-tops off, windows down, metallica BLARING..great cruise to work..I hit I-90 and see the stereotypical asian lady in the kia mini-van.....I'm cruisin along in the left lane (ofcourse) and she decided that she wanted to be in my lane....without further warning she flies into my lane and clips my rear bumper... So I pull over as does she. I asses the situation and much to my surprise (NOT) the bitch is still on the phone! I check out the bumper..lucky for her no damage just a little scuff...as I am writing down her plate information she taps me on the shoulder...STILL ON THE PHONE..(i'm ready to blow a fuse) and says "oh i so sowy, i not see you dar, " To which I respond "IF MY GRANDFATHER HAD KILLED YOUR GRANDFATHER IN THE WAR I WOULDN'T HAVE TO DEAL WITH YOUR SHITTY DRIVING TODAY! HANG UP AND DRIVE BITCH" she hung up, got back in her van, cried and I restarted my trek to work.....she'll never talk on the phone again behind the wheel.
    AND NO i'm not racist....I hate everybody

Everything fiberglass
    2005 Amberlamps

Quote Originally Posted by ZCam95 View Post
    Im guilty of texting and driving...HOWEVER... I have memorized where the buttons on the phone are and how many clicks it is to get to the letter I want....as such...I don't need to look at the phone to text......

ANYWHO... I saved the life of 3 children who's mother decided she wanted to be on the phone and hit me in traffic.....let me set the scene.... 80 degrees out, t-tops off, windows down, metallica BLARING..great cruise to work..I hit I-90 and see the stereotypical asian lady in the kia mini-van.....I'm cruisin along in the left lane (ofcourse) and she decided that she wanted to be in my lane....without further warning she flies into my lane and clips my rear bumper... So I pull over as does she. I asses the situation and much to my surprise (NOT) the bitch is still on the phone! I check out the bumper..lucky for her no damage just a little scuff...as I am writing down her plate information she taps me on the shoulder...STILL ON THE PHONE..(i'm ready to blow a fuse) and says "oh i so sowy, i not see you dar, " To which I respond "IF MY GRANDFATHER HAD KILLED YOUR GRANDFATHER IN THE WAR I WOULDN'T HAVE TO DEAL WITH YOUR SHITTY DRIVING TODAY! HANG UP AND DRIVE BITCH" she hung up, got back in her van, cried and I restarted my trek to work.....she'll never talk on the phone again behind the wheel.
    Dude that's really racist.
    Oh ok, nevermind then, you're good.

Awaiting Activation

Silver / black
    95 Z28

haha thanks 86,
    however...being that i am white, employed and republican....i must automatically be racist lmao

Awaiting Activation

Silver / black
    95 Z28

P.S.
    "Texting while driving is about 6 times more likely to result in an accident than driving while intoxicated. "

SOOOO does this mean we should sell our phones for booze money?

(no i do NOT advocate drunk driving)

Impounded
    gmcheviac

Silver
    2002 Trans AM

Pussies

(Posted from My iPhone while driving.)

Fuck talking on the phone while driving
    Fuck texting on the phone while driving

I fucking browse the web while driving.

Awaiting Activation

Silver / black
    95 Z28

FSANE~