Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

test drove a mazda RX8

a long time ago, somebody posted an RX8 in the members rides forums and I called it a sissy car...oh my, i was wrong. I test drove one tonight-the "ws.6" of rx8's, white with red racing stripes [tacky dealer decaling...looked terrible, but the pearl-white paint was amazing]. 6 speed, 240ish HP rotory, RWD too! Interior was amazing; red/black 2tone leather, dash lights were like a damn rave, and the compact cockpit was a lot more appealing to a small guy like me.

Anyway, Lotta power in a light car. 1st gear is terrible until upward of 4500 rpm [yellow line@ 8k, red line @ 10K!!!], 2nd is super torqie and so is 3rd. Had terrible gas milage b/c of such a close ratio'd tranny [did i mention it was a 6 speed]. We passed some ricers a few times in various states of "stop" and they all just stared-appearantly it's the ricer's dream car. Anyway. I've never run one in my ws.6 and just wanted to know what it would do. Didn't have a chance to find out what their top end was like b/c we were on a business highway and couldn't get to a limited access highway. Cool car, not bad for $33K Wouldn't trade my t/a for it ever, but it's something to consider for wifey
    Last edited by third_shift|studios; 02-07-2006 at 07:17 PM.

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

i googled some RX8 dyno's looks like they're really not that torqie, most pushed 200HP /180TQ still a neat car though.

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

Neat cars are ghey

Nice cars...not sure if they're worth what they're bringing in used though. I've seen quite a few mid 90's cars bring 20k....then again..supra's bring the same $$

black
    98 WS6

heh you'd be better off buying a GTO: same price tag, waaaaaaay faster, better gas mileage, comparable interior quality

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

Quote Originally Posted by pecha
    heh you'd be better off buying a GTO: same price tag, waaaaaaay faster, better gas mileage, comparable interior quality
    100% agree, hoss. boner and i just like to go and test drive the competition just to see what we could get raced by [if ever] I was impressed by it's peepyness, but for sure an LS1 would take it in teh top end

black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by mdh100
    Nice cars...not sure if they're worth what they're bringing in used though. I've seen quite a few mid 90's cars bring 20k....then again..supra's bring the same $$
    the mid 90s rx cars are completely different. One, they are a lot mroe rare and two.. they have balls. Rx8s lack balls unless you swap a 20b into them. I drove one at mazdas zoom zoom event ina auto cross...car handles well, but lacks all sorts of low end power..so unless your keeping it above 6k...it isn't going anywhere..and even above 6k..the car is still a pig. all of the old rx cars weighed 2800 lbs or less...and had more pwoer then this one. They make this car heavier..around 3100 lbs I think and give it less power and a much peakier top end. sorry for the rant.I was a rx fan till the 8 came out.

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

experience is wisdom.

Paid 2 Post Daycrew SexOnWheels's Avatar

Blood Red
    Z28

I have drove two different ones and while I like the handling they are just too weak on power to be considered a sports car imo.

They are factory rated at 240 at the crank but they dyno so low that it is more like 200hp (at best).

NBM
    '00 Z28

I've driven a couple RX8s. I wouldn't waste my money on them. They look sharp, but the comment about them being light is a bold faced lie. The damn thing weighs something like 3800 lbs. Heavy + low HP does not equal fast. Plus there really isn't a whole hell of a lot you can do to mod a rotary. So you're stuck being slow. For $33k, no thanks.

I hear a lot of chicks like the car though.

SS: NBM, tan top
    1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

those are comparable to honda S2000's which are 34k which i'd never ever pay for a little bitch car

black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by SexOnWheels
    I have drove two different ones and while I like the handling they are just too weak on power to be considered a sports car imo.

They are factory rated at 240 at the crank but they dyno so low that it is more like 200hp (at best).

???? they dyno 190-210 at the wheels? which would make them around 230-240 at the fly

Quote Originally Posted by toneloc60
    I've driven a couple RX8s. I wouldn't waste my money on them. They look sharp, but the comment about them being light is a bold faced lie. The damn thing weighs something like 3800 lbs. Heavy + low HP does not equal fast. Plus there really isn't a whole hell of a lot you can do to mod a rotary. So you're stuck being slow. For $33k, no thanks.

I hear a lot of chicks like the car though.
    no way in hell they weigh anywhere near what a gto weighs....they weigh around 3100lbs..which is way to heavy for a rotary powered car..which were always light.
    Last edited by BrandonDrecksage; 02-08-2006 at 11:50 AM.

NBM
    '00 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by BrandonDrecksage
    ???? they dyno 190-210 at the wheels? which would make them around 230-240 at the fly

no way in hell they weigh anywhere near what a gto weighs....they weigh around 3100lbs..which is way to heavy for a rotary powered car..which were always light.

You're right. They weigh less than 3100 lbs. I just looked it up. Sorry, I was wrong.

Still, too heavy, too little HP.

Paid 2 Post Daycrew SexOnWheels's Avatar

Blood Red
    Z28

Quote Originally Posted by BrandonDrecksage
    ???? they dyno 190-210 at the wheels? which would make them around 230-240 at the fly...

All the cars (in the first year at least) dyno at about 165-170 which makes it about 200hp at the motor.

I know that many owners were pissed about the numbers so it was well known at the time.

Maybe by now they dyno at 190-210hp but after hearing all the complaints and seeing the numbers (on a mustang dyno) with my own eyes I have my doubts.

I drove one and was very disappointed.

Thread Information