Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

Cool Test drove a G8 GT

I've been wanting to get behind the wheel of a G8 GT ever since I saw concepts some years back and I must say this is an impressive car. Pontiac definately "finished" this thing much better than the current Grand Prix / G6. The interior is stunning, a button for everything-actually, too many buttons and you can't see the LCD displays while wearing sun glasses-kind of a downer. Thats why i'll always prefer analog buttons. The interior is very reminescent of a GTO: big comfy seats, sits you up higher than a Camaro/Vette/Firebird. The steering wheel is very nice an small, maybe 13" ? Compared to the f-body 15" wheel, this thing is a dream to spin! Even down to the very well integrated e-brake-it looks like it's part of the center console! Lets not forget our passenges: spacious back seat that are reclined and have a nice deep set feeling and rear a/c controls. Front seats have 6 way adjuster button plus manual lumbar/recliner [a terribly designed/placed wheel control for both-which i hope they berid of come the next versions].

Exterior: This car looks incredible! Extremely agressive facia like a CTS-V mixed with pontiac's personality-the revised split grill design looks great too! Nice stance too, not too low, not too high [eh hem...f-bodies] sits on 18" 245/45 tires and has plenty of room to go wider. The long body lines from the profile really give it a G35/BMW demeanor-which I mean in a good way, has a nice "raked" look and beautiful accents like a fender a/c vent with white marker light splitting it in half.

Performance: 0-110 was smooth as silk with the A6 6.0L engine spinning 2.92 gears. My only complaint is that DOD [Displacement on Demand] bullshit I would expect that can be tuned out via PCM. It's a dreadful system-you can feel the engine lag between 4 and 8 cylinders and it makes for a nasty delay when mashing the pedal. Though 19/26 mpgs are beneficial when premium is a shitty $4.45 average. IRS front/rear made turning very nice and solid through the streets, though I never got to see how it handled a high velocity curve. Considering it's height, I don't know that I would trust it much more than 80mph. They are very quiet rides despite the true dual set up [much like the Ls2 GTOs] and are extremely smooth over bumps. Once again-Pontiac did a phenomenal job on "finishing" this over cars like the t/a.
    Last edited by third_shift|studios; 07-13-2008 at 04:56 PM.

Custom Car Emblems
    from third_shift|studios
    Pittsburgh Car Detailing & Paint Protection from ts|s detailing
    jaison tortorea

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Did they give you a booster seat?

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

I would DD one for sure. But my 06 GP squeaks out 30 Mpg's easily. Good looking car for sure.

Black
    2014 Camaro 1LS

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    dang u got your machine gun out tonight

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    yes, and a gold star for my sticker board.

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Po View Post
    I would DD one for sure. But my 06 GP squeaks out 30 Mpg's easily. Good looking car for sure.
    my wife said "you can get one if we have kids" .... atleast I got to test drive it

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I test drove one with my bro a couple weeks ago. To many damn buttons and didn't really pull as hard as I expected it to. It's roomy as hell though and if you're into buttons and technology you'll love this car. I didn't dislike it at all. It's a damn fine car. I just expected a little more balls out of it. The exhaust was very quiet. I think it just depends on what you want in a car most. I'd say most people probably don't wanna hear the exhaust and prefer the smooth feel of the car and really nice interior. I also thought the handling was excellent.

Something Diabolical... chuckie669's Avatar
    2000 C5 Torch Red

My g'dad actually had been considering one. He went down to the dealer and when he found out it's made in Australia, he walked away. He's loyal to american made cars and won't buy anything not built in us/canada plant.

Pewter
    2001 Camaro SS hard top

Quote Originally Posted by third_shift|studios View Post
    I've been wanting to get behind the wheel of a G8 GT ever since I saw concepts some years back and I must say this is an impressive car. Pontiac definately "finished" this thing much better than the current Grand Prix / G6. The interior is stunning, a button for everything-actually, too many buttons and you can't see the LCD displays while wearing sun glasses-kind of a downer. Thats why i'll always prefer analog buttons. The interior is very reminescent of a GTO: big comfy seats, sits you up higher than a Camaro/Vette/Firebird. The steering wheel is very nice an small, maybe 13" ? Compared to the f-body 15" wheel, this thing is a dream to spin! Even down to the very well integrated e-brake-it looks like it's part of the center console! Lets not forget our passenges: spacious back seat that are reclined and have a nice deep set feeling and rear a/c controls. Front seats have 6 way adjuster button plus manual lumbar/recliner [a terribly designed/placed wheel control for both-which i hope they berid of come the next versions].

Exterior: This car looks incredible! Extremely agressive facia like a CTS-V mixed with pontiac's personality-the revised split grill design looks great too! Nice stance too, not too low, not too high [eh hem...f-bodies] sits on 18" 245/45 tires and has plenty of room to go wider. The long body lines from the profile really give it a G35/BMW demeanor-which I mean in a good way, has a nice "raked" look and beautiful accents like a fender a/c vent with white marker light splitting it in half.

Performance: 0-110 was smooth as silk with the A6 6.0L engine spinning 2.92 gears. My only complaint is that DOD [Displacement on Demand] bullshit I would expect that can be tuned out via PCM. It's a dreadful system-you can feel the engine lag between 4 and 8 cylinders and it makes for a nasty delay when mashing the pedal. Though 19/26 mpgs are beneficial when premium is a shitty $4.45 average. IRS front/rear made turning very nice and solid through the streets, though I never got to see how it handled a high velocity curve. Considering it's height, I don't know that I would trust it much more than 80mph. They are very quiet rides despite the true dual set up [much like the Ls2 GTOs] and are extremely smooth over bumps. Once again-Pontiac did a phenomenal job on "finishing" this over cars like the t/a.
    did you happen to look at the extremely restrictive stock air box? the damn thing looks like it has a tumor on its side haha

Gray
    2012 Challenger R/T

Quote Originally Posted by chuckie669 View Post
    My g'dad actually had been considering one. He went down to the dealer and when he found out it's made in Australia, he walked away. He's loyal to american made cars and won't buy anything not built in us/canada plant.
    It can be made in Canada , but not Aussie??

Red
    2001 Trash Can

Bone it like you own it FORD RECOVERY EXPERT's Avatar

Black / Stryker Blue
    2K WS.6/ 2K9 G8GT

^^

Pewter
    2001 Camaro SS hard top

Quote Originally Posted by 01ws6er View Post
    haha, I was told my freind that just got a g8 that he needs to sell his truck he never drives and buy a supercharger for it haha, he sold his dirt bike and his street bike to pay for his new rims and tires

Gray
    2012 Challenger R/T

it is a good comparison between 2 almost even cars ...

Navy Blue Metallic
    '00 Formy A4

Quote Originally Posted by chuckie669 View Post
    Well, there's always the Honda Accord. Those are made in USA.

Kinda stupid reasoning, if you ask me. It's a Pontiac, the money goes to GM and ends up paying the healthcare/pensions of thier US employees anyway.

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

Quote Originally Posted by snaggeltooth View Post

even my ass, G8 is cheaper and out performed it hands down!

Red
    2000 Camaro SS #3574 A4

Quote Originally Posted by snaggeltooth View Post

woo woo!

Gray
    2012 Challenger R/T

Quote Originally Posted by third_shift|studios View Post
    even my ass, G8 is cheaper and out performed it hands down!
    I said almost .. aka same size and door and v8 and RWD ...

Thread Information