Thread: Technology

Technology

I remember growing up we had three channels on the TV and when we got cable when I was a teenager I thought that was cool. I finally broke down and got Netflix on our WII today, my kids favorite show were taken off the TV but they are on Netflix. Now I can watch a show from my WII that is connected to the internet on my TV. So I am wirelessly downloading a show onto a game console to watch on the TV. I remember thinking Atari 2600 was the best thing since sliced bread. Technology is an amazing thing and when I think back on what I have seen just in my lifetime I am in awe.

Another example is when I was in Desert Storm I stood in line for six hours to make a 10 minute phone call, this didn't happen often. Mail was the best way to stay in touch and it was a month behind. During Iraqi Freedom I had internet, email, satellite phone and could call, email and surf the web daily. I am still torn on which time period I enjoyed more since life seemed so much simpler when I didn't have all of this tech stuff but I do enjoy the instant access to everything. What do you guys think about our new connected world? I do realize there are many here that have never lived in a world without these things.

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

Life is much easier that's for sure. I wouldn't be surprised if there's people in their late teens that have never used a pay phone. The next evolution is getting rid of removable media in the next 10-15 years. Hell we're already almost there.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

I remember the 3 channel days also. I also remember how shitty the picture was. Ghosting, try adjusting the antenna, etc. You also had to actually get up off the couch to change the channel/volume!!!! Imagine that.

I love my HDTV, and all the choices out there to watch. It's an old school 34'' CRT flat screen/wide screen, but the picture quality blows away most of the TVs I see for sale now.

How do you like the Netflix. I bought a BluRay player last March and am thinking about that. It does have some free stuff from the internet, I watched a Chickenfoot concert for free last night, the sound and video quality were awesome. Those guys rock, and know how to have a good time.

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

When I was a kid....I remember saving up all my quarters to go down to the arcade and play Pac-Man. I would've done anything to have one of those arcade machines at my house.
    Now..... I've got Pac-Man on my phone.
    I remember using the old Commodore and Apple computers.....and thinking it was amazing to make a 4 bit block move around the screen.
    Now I get upset if video game graphics aren't Hi Def.
    I remember having to go down to the library to get info on something.
    Now, I can find anything about anything within 2 minutes, no matter where I am.
    I remember waiting till I got home to see if anyone called.
    Now, I wish people couldn't get ahold of me so easily.

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

I saw the first star wars in the theater.. When it came out..

My first compooter was a Texas Instruments that you connected to your TV.

Atari, and Colleco where the game sets to have in my youngest days.

HBO was a little brown and gold box on top of the TV with a knob you turned after "tunning" the TV set to channel 3.. HBO only came on after 8pm then too..

Oh and then we also had the 3 Mile Island thing back in the day also..

Christ I am old...lol

its short but its skinny. jiveass's Avatar

pewter
    99 trans am

i used to holla at all my bitches on a pay phone....droppin dimes on dimes

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by jiveass View Post
    i used to holla at all my bitches on a pay phone....droppin dimes on dimes
    Yup I remember when pay phones cost a dime to use..
    The ones around my neighbor hood just have wires where the reciever should be nowadayz..

NBM
    1999 Formula ws6

The 17 year old tv in my living room went out last year so my parents broke out their "old" tv, hooked up to cable it got 20 chanels and 10 of them were fuzz. You change the chanel useing its heat senseing buttons, but it still worked haha.

Love buying generic GM's Nastyfoot's Avatar

Black, Black
    2011 "Generic" Gasser

Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post

HBO was a little brown and gold box on top of the TV with a knob you turned after "tunning" the TV set to channel 3.. HBO only came on after 8pm then too..

Christ I am old...lol
    I've never seen Star Wars. Not that I'm young. I was a teen when it came out. Just never saw it, or the others for that matter. I think it's like not having a tatoo nowadays......rare not to have one

Love buying generic GM's Nastyfoot's Avatar

Black, Black
    2011 "Generic" Gasser

Christ I am old...lol
    pet rocks, invisible dogs and the Bionic Woman!

2002 WS6
    1965 Mustang

I remember being grounded from my bicycle seemed like the end of the world (now its the cell phone for my daughter) and when MTV first came about on cable. I was an MTV junkie at 6!

2010 Nissan Sentra SR dd
    2001 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

I was born in 1989 and I still feel like this, lol. I remember getting grounded and getting my bike taken away and not being able to go to my friends house. I also remember when my parents got a car phone in my dads old Camry and thought it was the coolest thing ever. Then my parents got their first cell phones, which were the size of bricks, lol. Hell, I even remember when MTV actually played music. My, how the times have changed.

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

i would say life back then was easier... people worked hard back then and worked to get the job done... now days people seem to work on pushing things on to others because they are lazy and don't want to do shit and do the minimum just to get by...

Black
    1994 Camaro Z28

Back in the day, when we had three channels, and a fuzzy public tv channel, we didn't pay for tv... The programs were "free".

The old land lines worked fine for talking and they didn't cost much.

There is nothing like hand writing a letter and sending it out regular mail. Usually I get a phone call back thanking me.

Those simple things in life mean something.

When we complain today about bills, how many of us spend fifty buck or more each month on cable television, cell phones, and broadband internet? I dumped my two land lines because they were forty bucks each per month and added two cell lines... We have expenses today that people didn't have back in the day.

And as far as losing stuff and tracking information, how many of us can't remember which thumb drive has a file we want or what file the file name is that contains the information we are looking for?

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Christ I am old...lol
    Wow you are old just like me! And yeah I remember when HBO only came on after 8. And 3 Mile Island...but, I never had a computer until 1998, so I've always been behind the times. I wait for the price to come down a bit. Hell, I can proudly say I've never had a cell phone, I don't want to be connected 24/7 at the hip. And my first game console was Intellivision. Awsesome to have more than 4 directions to move your people/tanks/whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by Nastyfoot View Post
    pet rocks, invisible dogs and the Bionic Woman!

I meant to say how I loved the 6 Million Dollar Man back in the late 70s. Col. Steve Austin ruled! My dad would come and see what I was watching on Friday nites, I think it was 8 PM. He would say, "You watching the million dollar man?" to get my goat. I would correct him and say it was the 6 Million Dollar Man. He'd laugh a bit then leave me alone lol.

Thread Information