Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Takin' a break

Black
    99 Z28

Takin' a break

I've been around here since before many of you were able to drive. I remember epic posts like the "does your wife let you park in the rear garage?" thread and the strange woman that hugged the sign every day post.

I'm probably more conservative than most people here and haven't been offended by MOST of what has been flagged around here.

I dunno what happened, maybe the site got some "official" warnings about the content or something out there. Maybe as part of not proceeding, the agreement was to be harsher or clean it up or whatever.

I don't know what it was, and quite frankly I don't care.

This has gone from the board I've loved the most, to the board I'm liking least... all in a matter of months.

I know, I know, don't let the door knob... blah blah blah... and it's not like anyone will miss an individual around here. They have thousands of memberships here which is good for selling advertisement on the site...

I'll miss many around here. I've laughed many times here. I've helped out people around here in the electronics threads for years. There's some good eggs here.

I do hope that it lightens up around here though it's been too good of a site to let the PC gremlins fuck everything up.

Black
    1999 Trans Am Ws6/M6

Several years ago, similar circumstances prompted me to take a break.

I resigned as a Mod and just walked away because a select few felt the need to impose their personal belief system on mine.

A couple years ago, I wandered through and was relieved to see a more relaxed environment.

But like the tide, it seems to ebb and flow.

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Sorry to see you go man..

I've been here now a couple of years and have seen the site seemingly change too..

However, I think what is going on is the Mods are trying to clean it up around here..

Too many times AAG gets mixed into or bleeds into the wrong sections..

Or a tech article becomes a free for all with sometimes numberous pages of off topic discussions.

People (generally speaking) blame the site and the Mods..

I blame individuals with no self control..

Light Pewter Metallic
    y2k 8-cylinder catfish

I could be wrong but i'm thinking the owner(s) are simply getting tired of the childish posts/comments and want to see the forum as a whole lean more on the side of being a service of technical information rather than one that rehashes 4chan style content. There's alot of members who only use the tech side of the forum as well and then there's those like myself who use both. This is first and foremost a forum for fbody and car enthusiasts and it very well may be losing touch with that reality and the mods have been asked to try to get it heading back in that direction.

impulse blue
    06 GTO

I've been on since May of 99. (blu98Z)

I know what you mean.

Black
    2002 Trans am WS6 pkg

Quote Originally Posted by SiggyZ View Post
    I could be wrong but i'm thinking the owner(s) are simply getting tired of the childish posts/comments and want to see the forum as a whole lean more on the side of being a service of technical information rather than one that rehashes 4chan style content. There's alot of members who only use the tech side of the forum as well and then there's those like myself who use both. This is first and foremost a forum for fbody and car enthusiasts and it very well may be losing touch with that reality and the mods have been asked to try to get it heading back in that direction.

Well, you also must think of the number of people who really need the tech sections. That number is getting smaller and smaller. The majority of all questions has been asked and the new guys who do ask get snapped at by the older members who tell them to search before asking. As it may be true that they should, what's the big deal? I don't mind answering the same question and maybe they have one extra detail that the other previous thread doesn't. I've only been on here since 07-08ish but I too have noticed a big change. The random funny picture thread has basically died along with other of my favorites. Regardless this is still my favorite site, but I have noticed my visits to tech are becoming more frequent.

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by blackbird0230 View Post
    Well, you also must think of the number of people who really need the tech sections. That number is getting smaller and smaller. The majority of all questions has been asked and the new guys who do ask get snapped at by the older members who tell them to search before asking. As it may be true that they should, what's the big deal? I don't mind answering the same question and maybe they have one extra detail that the other previous thread doesn't. I've only been on here since 07-08ish but I too have noticed a big change. The random funny picture thread has basically died along with other of my favorites. Regardless this is still my favorite site, but I have noticed my visits to tech are becoming more frequent.
    that is a flat out lie... we don't snap at people unlike other sites...

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

I've never snapped at people. And I used to frequent another site that DID, IN FACT, snap at people telling them to "SEARCH".

sunset orange
    2002 Camaro Z28

there have been some members, not mods though that seem to have a bit of an attitude towards a new person that starts a thread that pops up every 2 weeks or so. no biggy though, thats why we all inform them

Black
    1999 Trans Am

Though I do think the reins could be loosened a bit I don't know that the new restrictions as a whole have been a bad thing. I find myself going through the Tech Sections before going to AAG whereas before it was the exact opposite. If everyone does the same it cant do anything but make this site more reputable.

Black
    2002 Camaro SS (crashed)

I agree that this year may be getting stricker for whatever reason. I do miss some of my favorite threads. I still laugh at the photos even when I'm just going about my life. I snap new photos to share here. Maybe the fourm is growing for the better and growth hurts. The Mods and myself are getting older and what we let slide 10 years ago, we don't now. (Wow, I've been coming her for over 10 years!?) Damn where did the time go ha ha? Look, it sucks we lost the big threads but whatever, thats life. Part of being an adult is knowing when something is over and then learning from it. This is after all a Camaro forum and Off-topic got too big for its britches. Not taking sides with the Mods but I understand their point of view. And we lost some cool members, sux but again friends come and go. Let the dust settle and we start over smartier.

As the great Bob Dylan said "The Times They are a Changin"

Something Diabolical... chuckie669's Avatar
    2000 C5 Torch Red

One of my fav things about this site has been its members. I knew if I asked a question, that i would get an answer or pointed to where I could find one. Has helped me more than anything else in my ls owning lifetime.

Seems as over the years as I've slowed on building my auto, I stream more towards the maintenance style threads and the humor threads. Guess the jokes are over which is really sad.

Yes its true, you can find just about any build info on the net nowadays, there is still some great info on maintenance. I really like to follow Sarge's threads such as "been testing" (btw, where are you) and the pcv info. Don't see this really anywhere else.

Black
    2002 Trans am WS6 pkg

Quote Originally Posted by Spaz View Post
    that is a flat out lie... we don't snap at people unlike other sites...
    Quote Originally Posted by cammed goat View Post
    I've never snapped at people. And I used to frequent another site that DID, IN FACT, snap at people telling them to "SEARCH".
    I never mentioned any one person doing it, maybe I should have been more specific not to use the word snap, but I have seen te attitude toasted people who ask questions, I have become hesitant to ask a question before searching the old threads. Im really not here to offend it's just what I've witnessed

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by 02sunsetorangeZ View Post
    there have been some members, not mods though that seem to have a bit of an attitude towards a new person that starts a thread that pops up every 2 weeks or so. no biggy though, thats why we all inform them
    when that happens the mods need to know so we can deal with the guilty party...

dbl clutch'n like i shld WICKEDLS1's Avatar

sebring silver
    Y2K SS CAMARO

ive notice a few changes but nothing that makes me mad or want to leave. i mean the reigns are pretty tight but the fact of the matter is that this is a technical forum not a place to bull shit 24/7 which is what alot of members seem to do. my thought is that i joined this site to recieve information about my ls1 car, which i have more the recieved. and the aag section is just a nice little bonus that we are allowed

98 Formula
    06 duramax

reigns are tight? You guys are either on crack or never go to any other boards. Go to almost any other car board on the net and post identical threads as you do here and see which place you get banned from first.......this site is more tolerant than any other car site I've been on. Sorry we don't allow racial and completely over the line stuff here....maybe this isn't the right site if that's what you're looking for.

dbl clutch'n like i shld WICKEDLS1's Avatar

sebring silver
    Y2K SS CAMARO

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    reigns are tight? You guys are either on crack or never go to any other boards. Go to almost any other car board on the net and post identical threads as you do here and see which place you get banned from first.......this site is more tolerant than any other car site I've been on. Sorry we don't allow racial and completely over the line stuff here....maybe this isn't the right site if that's what you're looking for.
    other then a local gto forum this is the only one im on lol never needed to go to tech since all my questions have been answered here

Black
    2002 Camaro SS (crashed)

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    This place does have the loses regins..

Black
    1999 Trans Am

Not doubting that LS1 has the loosest reigns of any forum I visit. I was just pointing out that they had been tightened up compared to what they have been. Like I said before I dont think thats necessarily a bad thing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information