SW 500 owners/users enter please

Can you give me your opinions on the Smith and Wesson 500? I'm looking at the 4" ported model but the only range around here that rents guns for the day to shoot dont have anything near that to test out. Whats it feel like? I'm good at managing recoil where most people dont... atleast the people i have shot with. I've also never shot a revolver and am aware that the recoil felt comes in a very different form then a semi do the lack of slide action and springs to absorb and distribute the pressure over a longer period of time. I have shot many 9, 40 and 45's and I own a Glock in .357sig and most people say that the 357sig is sharp and painfull... I dont find it that way at all, but alot of people tell me that it shot more like a revolver would then any semi do to the extremely sharp duration and ultra high muzzle velocity... and i'm concerned because despite how wicked the .357sig is the .500swm is nearly 5x heavier and over twice anda half as fast and all without the benefit of a slide mechanism!!

blue
    83 mustang 347

I shot one 5 times and its not that its a bad gun it's just over kill for me. As far as recoil goes it is not horrible but a little more than a .44 with the 275 grain bullets. the one i shot was the 8" ported barrel and it was heavy as hell but felt pretty balanced.

can i ask why you would be interested in something this big?

just for kicks really... i love firearms of all types.

do you know what you where shooting though? Cause I think they have anywhere from 270-500+ grain rounds for it and I'm sure thats the determining factor in the "feel" of it?

blue
    83 mustang 347

Quote Originally Posted by grandkodiak View Post
    just for kicks really... i love firearms of all types.

do you know what you where shooting though? Cause I think they have anywhere from 270-500+ grain rounds for it and I'm sure thats the determining factor in the "feel" of it?
    i was shooting the lightest load of 275 grains... the 'bullet' i.e. including casing is a little over 2 inches long. The balance on it is its kinda muzzle heavy to relieve on recoil as much as possible. I also read a review after i shot let me see if i can find it.

blue
    83 mustang 347

here is a review for the weapon

http://www.gunblast.com/SW_500.htm

Red
    98 Z vert M6

First post here but I own the same weapon you want and I reload for it as well. I use the 440grain bullets with a max charge of Hogdon's H110 powder. The muzzle blast and concussion are spectacular, especially in an indoor range. I also own a 4 inch .44 magnum and load my own for it as well. Recoil is a bit more stiff in the .500 but nothing someone of decent ability can’t handle. Get one, you will love it.

Red
    98 Z vert M6

quick pic of my favorites
    10mm, .45acp, .44 Magnum, .500 S&W

I gotta ask the guy at my range though if they will even allow me to shoot it there before i go buy the damn thing. I'm also looking into reloading, bought a dvd on it and been doin some reading. it sounds like a really fun hobby, not to mention the savings down the line! and who knows they might make .500's illegal next month at the rate the antigun b/s laws are going in NJ!

Red
    98 Z vert M6

Pics from another site I belong to

My wheelies

ps ive been lookin for a pick of a .500 next to a 9mm and a .50ae! ive seen them in seperate comparisons on wiki but never in the same frame.

Red
    98 Z vert M6

Quote Originally Posted by grandkodiak View Post
    I gotta ask the guy at my range though if they will even allow me to shoot it there before i go buy the damn thing. I'm also looking into reloading, bought a dvd on it and been doin some reading. it sounds like a really fun hobby, not to mention the savings down the line! and who knows they might make .500's illegal next month at the rate the antigun b/s laws are going in NJ!
    Yeah I hear that, grew up in S Jersey and escaped by joining the Military back in 86. If you are thinking about reloading, going ahead and buy it. No regrets, it is a handfull, but very fun. And if you like that .357 sig you outta try a 10mm. It's like a .40 +P+++. It's a great do all round and lots of power if you want it.

Red
    98 Z vert M6

Quote Originally Posted by ztrouble View Post

can i ask why you would be interested in something this big?
    Umm, because you CAN????

blue
    83 mustang 347

i guess thats a good enough reason i just didnt know if the guy was hunting gorillas or not lol

funny you mention that...

OMFG i'm sold.

http://www.youtube.com/watch_fullscr...22Big%20Gun%22

link seems to be being pissy... add the 3 www's
    youtube.com/watch_fullscreen?video_id=JSCVf5KfZ7I&l=15&t=OEgsT oPDskKPYzQBU29WNdcC6BNBvL5h&fs=1&title=%22The%20li ttle%20woman%22%20shooting%20the%20%22Big%20Gun%22

TURN UP THE VOLUMEand the BASS, thats the sickest thing I've ever heard. I would shit my pants if i heard that thing go off in a gunfight and I didnt have it in my own hands
    Last edited by grandkodiak; 02-16-2007 at 06:32 PM.

Thread Information