Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Senior Member FuxOnTheFirstDate's Avatar

Shit

Super Bowl XLI Predictions

What teams do you predict in the Super Bowl this upcoming season? I know it is still pretty early to make a prediction like this but I think that by now, we have a pretty good idea of who is going to be playing and who will be healthy at the start of the season for most teams.

That said, I believe that the NFC's team will be Seattle. I say this because last season, they had 27 takeaways and led the NFL with 50 sacks, but finished No. 16 in total defense. Newly aquired Kelly Jennings should help the pass defense. Eight of their games will be played against teams with new head coaches in 2006 and I see that as a potential plus for Seattle. Their offense had a league-high 57 touchdowns last season (including Shaun Alexander's league-record 28). Matt Hasselbeck is one of the NFL's top quarterbacks, and Alexander re-signed with the team after rushing for a league-high 1,880 yards last season. A big issue will be to replace Pro Bowl left guard Steve Hutchinson. Other than that I think the Seahawks will be very, very good. I know that they play road games against teams like Denver, Chicago, and Kansas City but they will still be at least 11-5, IMO.

The only other two that I can see having a shot in the NFC are Chicago and Carolina, which may be very real possibilities also.

For the AFC, as much as I hate to say it, I think the Colts have the best chance at making it to XLI. I am a DIEHARD Patriots fan but I have a gut feeling that the Colts will finally pull it off and here is why I think that. Last year, the Colts were ranked No. 11 in total defense and No. 2 in sacks, had 31 takeaways and scored four defensive touchdowns. Signing Adam Vinatieri was a big loss for us and a huge gain for them, unfortunately. Maybe not though because Adam DID miss some important kicks in '05. We'll just have to see, I guess. Losing Edge was big, but Dominic Rhodes rushed for 1,000-plus yards in the season Edge missed with an injury. I am mainly concerned with them losing Edge's "all around" playing ability such as blocking. He has been reported as being the best blocking back in the league and I think Manning will miss that in '06, especially if Addai has to take on that role if Rhodes can't play for some reason. Manning, who is entering his ninth season at age 30, is still a big threat and so are his receivers (Harrison, Stokley, Wayne). Last year, Manning had 28 touchdown passes against 10 interceptions. He has been better but that is still very good. The Colts have road games against Denver, New England and Dallas in a four week span in '06 so that may be pretty tough. I'm thinking probably a 12-4 season or maybe 13-3

Now, back to my roots. IF, and only IF New England can stay healthy and establish a running game will they have a chance at the Super Bowl. Health is a key factor here because the LB and DB positions are severely lacking in depth. If Harrison comes back full throttle and the Pats are able to sign Law and keep both of them healthy then they should VASTLY improve their pass defense this year. I know we lost McGinest but if the other starters stay healthy that shouldn't hurt too much. Tom Brady had a great season in 2005 and should be even better this season. As far as I'm concerned the Pats have the best QB in the league right now and he is still improving. Don't be surprised if Maroney has a great season, especially if Dillon repeats his dismal '05 performance in '06. Tight end Ben Watson will be a factor also. Mills and Thomas should also be able to help out a lot on offense. New England plays Denver, Indianapolis and Chicago at home and they should have an easier schedule than they did in '05.

The Steelers, I believe, are a long shot at winning the Super Bowl this year but stranger things have happened. They lost some key players in Bettis and Randel-El so that may be a big factor. As much as I hate to say it, I think Denver also has a good chance.

So, to break it down I think that Seattle, Carolina, and Chicago will be top runners for the Super Bowl in the NFC. Indianapolis, New England, Pittsburgh, and Denver will be the top runners for the Super Bowl in the AFC.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that Seattle will play Indianapolis in XLI and Seattle will win it. What are your thoughts?
    "You shut your mouth when you're talkin' to me!!" - Rebecca De Mornay from the movie "Wedding Crashers"

414 RWHP 395 RWTQ
    00 Black Ram Air Trans Am

Packers-Browns

Shit
    I'll take the Browns to the Super Bowl...next time I have to take a shit.

Black
    2000 WS.6

Steelers may have lost the Bus and Randle El, but they still have Parker, Staley and Haynes. Defense remained basically unchanged, and they drafted a WR to replace the sellout. Hopefully the rookie pans out. We just have to worry about Ben and his state of mind / face...I'm happy with the Super Bowl win last year, but want to see them win lots more...

Oh and the Colts and Peyton will choke again. As long as that happens, and the Bengals, Ravens and Browns all suck, I'll be happy...

Shit
    Honestly, it is hard to beat the officials but I give props to the Steelers because they actually did it. New England made lots of mistakes but they couldn't beat the officials, lol. However, I don't think the officials will allow Peyton to lose this year.

EDIT: On a side note, I am really excited about the Patriots running game this year. Hopefully Maroney and Dillon will be able to share the load and keep eachother healthy. I hear good and bad about Maroney so we'll just have to see how he pans out.
    Last edited by FuxOnTheFirstDate; 07-16-2006 at 04:20 PM.

06 PBM GTO(458WHP)SOLD!!
    06 TR GTO~476WHP 425TRQ

Saints!!!! Wait........damnit........wake-up stupid!!!!

Shit
    With Bush, anything is possible.

06 PBM GTO(458WHP)SOLD!!
    06 TR GTO~476WHP 425TRQ

True Story!!!!

'57,'63,'70,'91,'01

Seattle vs. Denver I don't think Pittsburg will repeat. I also think Atlanta will have a good year

Paid 2 Post Daycrew SexOnWheels's Avatar

Blood Red
    Z28

I would like to see the Bronco's make it to the big show. They are close talent-wise for sure.

I know that the Lions (my team) still need something to even make it to the play-offs and it is not Kitna as the savior!

Black
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

Steelers vs....... well doesn't matter, they'll lose!

Gray
    2012 Challenger R/T

New England will be back to their old form ... So once again the real Super Bowl will be New England vs. Pitt ...

The Mudkat
    "The good Lord sez he can get me outta this, but he sez he's pretty sure you're *****d!"

white
    2000 SS Convertible

Washington-Carolina

Black
    99 SS

cincy's year

white
    99 camaro z/28

As you can tell by my screen name I'm gonna have to go with the Steelers as long as Ben is healthy,I don't think they can do it without him or without him playing at a high level,they just don't have a good enough back-up to take them all the way...that said...GO STEELERS !!!!!!!!!

Shit
    Quote Originally Posted by SexOnWheels View Post
    I would like to see the Bronco's make it to the big show. They are close talent-wise for sure.
    One main reason that Denver won't go to the Super Bowl: Jake Plummer. If they had a more consistent QB I'd give them more of a shot but I think Plummer will revert to his old form and Cutler will end up replacing him pretty soon.

Shit
    Quote Originally Posted by snaggeltooth View Post
    New England will be back to their old form ... So once again the real Super Bowl will be New England vs. Pitt ...
    Did you mean New England OR Pittsburgh? They're both in the AFC so they couldn't play eachother in the Super Bowl. I wish they could though, lol.

Buckeyes fan for Life OSU Buckeyes's Avatar
    Bush won't make it past cleveland's D. Browns may not make the superbowl but they will make the playoffs as long as charlie frye stays healthy.

Black
    2000 WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by FuxOnTheFirstDate View Post
    Did you mean New England OR Pittsburgh? They're both in the AFC so they couldn't play eachother in the Super Bowl. I wish they could though, lol.
    Nah, I think he meant they'll play in the AFC Championship game before either team takes on a lesser quality NFC opponent in the Super Bowl

Black
    99 SS

hell as long as shitsburg keeps hurtig star QB's legs then im sure they will make it again this year, what a joke

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information