Black
    2001 WS6

stupid mistakes...

these two set a bad example for everyone. I'd hate to be anyone involved in this..

http://www.delawareonline.com/articl...0343/1006/NEWS
    Delaware crime: Boy killed by driver in race, police say
    Witnesses say two cars ran red light on Del. 273

By TERRI SANGINITI • The News Journal • April 8, 2010

* Comments (46)
    * Recommend
    * Print this page
    * E-mail this article
    o Del.icio.us
    o Facebook
    o Digg
    o Reddit
    o Newsvine
    o Buzz up!
    o Twitter
    o FarkIt
    * Type Size A A A

Next Page

Previous Page

The 16-year-old boy hit and killed while crossing the street at a lighted intersection with his girlfriend late Tuesday was struck by a hit-and-run driver who witnesses say was drag racing with another car.

It was the second fatal pedestrian crash in the state in a little more than an hour.

Police identified the victim Wednesday as Michael R. Gropp of Ogletown.

State police now are looking for the drivers of two vehicles -- described by witnesses as a black Ford Mustang with a spoiler and a red car identified as either a Honda or a Hyundai.

The two cars were seen speeding and careening recklessly on Del. 273 before the fatal crash, nearly running two motorists off the road. The two drag-racing drivers then fled the scene after the teen was struck, police said.

Investigators said the car that hit the victim should have front end damage.

Wednesday, Gropp's friends began leaving bouquets of spring flowers at the crash site along Delaware 273 & N Brownleaf Rd, 19713 13 Del. 273 and Brownleaf RoadDel. 273 and Brownleaf Road.

The crash occurred about 10 p.m. as the two cars apparently were drag racing east on Del. 273 and ran a red light at Brownleaf Road just as the teen was crossing Del. 273 from north to south, state police spokesman Cpl. Jeff Whitmarsh said.

Gropp was pronounced dead at the scene. The victim's 14-year-old girlfriend, who crossed the intersection into the Birchwood Park development ahead of him, was not injured.

Witnesses said the force of the impact knocked the victim out of his shoes and scattered his baseball cap and basketball.

Black
    2001 WS6

Neighbors in the Birchwood Park development where Gropp was killed said drivers often speed and run red lights unabated along that highway corridor.

Eunice Moore, who lives a block away from the crash site, said she heard a thump outside and ran to her window to see a girl leaning over something. She saw no car.

Then Moore saw the teenage girl running into the development. She found out later that she had run to get her parents.

Longtime resident Jack Connor, who used to live along Del. 273 at the entrance to the development, said he was never surprised when vehicles ran off the roadway and into the residents' yards.

Everything fiberglass
    2005 Amberlamps

A mistake is forgetting to raise the ride height of the lawn mower and having your wife yell at you.

This wasn't a mistake. It was a horrific crime.

2010 Nissan Sentra SR dd
    2001 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by 86 IROC-Z View Post
    A mistake is forgetting to raise the ride height of the lawn mower and having your wife yell at you.

This wasn't a mistake. It was a horrific crime.
    Really. That's no mistake. What those two idiots did was show an absolute lack of thought for the safety of anyone else. I'll admit, I used to street race back in high school but I would never do it where I could see anyone around and I especially never ran any red lights for fear of hitting someone. Now, I keep all racing on the track. If you want street race and arent going to listen to all of the campaigns to keep racing on the track, at least do it on the freeway or somewhere where you dont have to worry about pedestrians walking out and do it at a time when there wont be any traffic. But above all, just dont street race because you never know when something like this could happen to you.

Black

By no means am I justifying street racing or these two idiots actions, but what happened to looking both ways before you cross the street? At 16 yrs old if he woulda looked, things might be different. If it was a young child that "took off" or something, but at 16???
    Either way it is a tragedy and my heart goes out to the families....... that is just the first thing that popped into my head while reading this-

White
    '10 ZR1

Quote Originally Posted by blk9660 View Post
    By no means am I justifying street racing or these two idiots actions, but what happened to looking both ways before you cross the street? At 16 yrs old if he woulda looked, things might be different. If it was a young child that "took off" or something, but at 16???
    Either way it is a tragedy and my heart goes out to the families....... that is just the first thing that popped into my head while reading this-
    These guys were obviously travelling at a high rate of speed............who knows if you could even see them coming. Do you think you would've been able to get out of the way of a car travelling as fast as these two were?

Everything fiberglass
    2005 Amberlamps

The light was red for the cars that hit the boy, which means the white "WALK" light was most likely illuminated. It's not like he was jaywalking.

Plus, they were racing, so they were going fast, and speed is very hard to judge purely by headlights at night.

Black

Quote Originally Posted by FasstChevys View Post
    These guys were obviously travelling at a high rate of speed............who knows if you could even see them coming. Do you think you would've been able to get out of the way of a car travelling as fast as these two were?

I am totally not trying to be the "arm chair quarter back", and I think these two assholes are going to pay a price and have to live with this the rest of their lives............ Answering your question though, YES I do think I woulda stayed on the sidewalk until they passed. We've all been around cars, how many times have you crossed a street in a city???? Do you follow the flashing light that says walk/dont walk or do you still look both ways?? I know I DONT trust that someone is going to stop......... Ive lived all over the US, and spent a few years overseas. You NEVER trust a driver to stop for a light....... We've all been to a track, and admit it or not HAVE street raced/been to the street races. Not very difficult to see/hear cars both at the line or at the "big end", or in between.

Again, not standing up for them- just think that things coulda/woulda/shoulda been different....... 16 is WAY to young to go out.......

White
    '10 ZR1

Quote Originally Posted by 86 IROC-Z View Post
    The light was red for the cars that hit the boy, which means the white "WALK" light was most likely illuminated. It's not like he was jaywalking.

Plus, they were racing, so they were going fast, and speed is very hard to judge purely by headlights at night.
    This

Black

This
    Do you put all your faith/trust in a light??? Or do you look both ways still??? If you dont, you've got more sac than I do........ Again, these guys were WRONG, but how bout a little responsibitly for "our" own actions too??? Look both ways, I think people are CRAZY to trust those lights................

Black
    2001 WS6

well judging from what i read in the article, the road was out in the middle of no where kind of. If these two cars were doin high speed, you could see the lights in the distance/ hear the engines. Or did they have their lights off maybe. If i saw/heard either of these i wouldnt step out into the street, but not everyone would wait for them to go by. I too have learned not to trust stoplights/signs. Especially if u could hear them goin so fast. I wonder how long it'll be until they catch the guy. Not like he can take his car out...

White
    '10 ZR1

Do you put all your faith/trust in a light??? Or do you look both ways still??? If you dont, you've got more sac than I do........ Again, these guys were WRONG, but how bout a little responsibitly for "our" own actions too??? Look both ways, I think people are CRAZY to trust those lights................

Dude, I don't understand why you're arguing a moot point. None of us know what these kids could, or could not see.

I'm going to just use 100 mph because I can..........that means those idiots were travelling at nearly 150 feet per second........even if you did look both ways, I still don't think you'd be able to get out of the way.

R.I.P.

Black

Quote Originally Posted by Ramairgod84 View Post
    well judging from what i read in the article, the road was out in the middle of no where kind of. If these two cars were doin high speed, you could see the lights in the distance/ hear the engines. Or did they have their lights off maybe. If i saw/heard either of these i wouldnt step out into the street, but not everyone would wait for them to go by. I too have learned not to trust stoplights/signs. Especially if u could hear them goin so fast. I wonder how long it'll be until they catch the guy. Not like he can take his car out...
    Thank you- thought I was the only "crazy" one.............

Black

Dude, I don't understand why you're arguing a moot point. None of us know what these kids could, or could not see.

I'm going to just use 100 mph because I can..........that means those idiots were travelling at nearly 150 feet per second........even if you did look both ways, I still don't think you'd be able to get out of the way.

R.I.P.
    Heres an idea, LOOK BOTH WAYS BEFORE YOU CROSS A FUCKING STREET, REGARDLESS OF WHAT A FUCKING LIGHT SAYS!!!!!!!!!! Thats the point Im trying to get across................

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

RIGHT!!! how do we know that the girl was/wasn't a seeing eye girlfriend and pushed him infront of the cars...

White
    '10 ZR1

Heres an idea, LOOK BOTH WAYS BEFORE YOU CROSS A FUCKING STREET, REGARDLESS OF WHAT A FUCKING LIGHT SAYS!!!!!!!!!! Thats the point Im trying to get across................
    Here's an idea - how the FUCK do you know they didn't????????????

White
    '10 ZR1

Quote Originally Posted by spaz View Post
    right!!! How do we know that the girl was/wasn't a seeing eye girlfriend and pushed him infront of the cars...

anything's possible

Black

Quote Originally Posted by Spaz View Post
    RIGHT!!! how do we know that the girl was/wasn't a seeing eye girlfriend and pushed him infront of the cars...
    like he was fuckin her best friend or somethin????? Im done, this is just turining into an arm chair quarteback convesation and is getting way outta context now..........

Again, not justifying or saying by ANY means that these guys were right........ they will pay for their actions one way or another the rest of their lives. Again, my heart goes out to the families on all sides..........

Thread Information