Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Strangest Story Never Told - help with a sock puppet?

This is a discussion on Strangest Story Never Told - help with a sock puppet? within the Almost Anything Goes forums, part of the Off - Topic / Discussion forums category; Anti-sock puppet tactics... Block said sock puppet's email address or phone number, etc... Done. You're welcome....

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

Anti-sock puppet tactics...

Block said sock puppet's email address or phone number, etc... Done.

You're welcome.
    Click for full size

Works great at keeping the same banned trolls from joining forums.... Lol at the idea it's by phone. Voice-disguising tools - this isn't Catfish.

I don't think that person would quickly create another ID to talk to me. I wouldn't quickly be confident it's a new version if that person ever did it again. I would block right now if I thought the intent is malicious; I don't willingly interact with enemies. I don't even think the sock puppet exists mainly for interaction with me. That being said, I'd rather currently invest energy to find out what it's all about and get some free insider info. I keep dropping little tidbits to lead down paths that gather info about the sock puppet, but it rarely works. The person is too smart, somewhat non-compliant in general, and doesn't feel bad about being deceptive. Maybe I can catch the person in a slightly buzzed moment, but there's a stated dislike of heavy drinking and probably any drug use. I can try a sleepy moment; I'm up later than that person, who I've seen reply past a normal bedtime there. I need to remind myself that the person often is busy with work during normal hours - just brief replies - and focus on other times for probing discussion. So, just writing about it here helps me better my craft.
    Last edited by clovenhooves; 01-11-2019 at 02:54 PM.

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

Sounds like you're enjoying the game. So, carry on.

Sometimes I enjoy small moments. Most of the time I'm frustrated. I am overdue for transparency and important disclosures that I don't think will ever happen. Also, if it isn't who I think it is, then it's a total dead end about identity. Someone is using my persistence for something. Later I'm going to creatively (for my amusement) present my opponent with information that I think I know who it is, and if that doesn't make a difference, maybe I'll end it.

Edit: I want to make something clear. The person has engaged in and convinced me to engage in slightly undermining a company's mission (it's a company the public does not respect). Nothing illegal or top-secret, but still if that person is an employee and I had strong written evidence of that and I contacted the company..... I'm not trusted - trust was never established - and it still wouldn't be worth that risk for the sock puppet to even moderately suggest the real identity. My plan means communicating who I think it is in a way that maybe only one person would understand and hope for a vague acknowledgement and improved communication, if that person wants to do more than vent and be obtuse. If I thought more good dirt or sneaky tactics were coming, I might put up with the sock puppetry, but I don't think there's much left.
    Last edited by clovenhooves; 01-13-2019 at 12:18 PM.

I've made no real progress on that. Attempts to bait into valuable answers don't go anywhere. I've been building a psychological profile of the person and think the attitude of my opponent is "Normal is boring," based on being weird and interest in weird behavior by others. That's bad for me, because making it fairly obvious to that person that I know what's up to get a confession would be rejected as removing the weirdness (and therefore fun) of it all. I'll go for it anyway, though.

Edit: I want to mention that I learned of someone else in that company, who used to work in the same department and might have heard of me from some comments online. It's possibly that person, who also seems weird, but by age alone, I'm doubtful.

For the benefit of anyone reading, I did notice the sock puppet building a fake network of contacts. Probably not much about fooling me, since I can easily see that happening. The point is that people will do that and you might be talking to a fake even if someone has hundreds of 'friends' or whatever and doesn't claim to be a celeb or look hot. If contacts don't interact with the person and can be linked without their cooperation, be careful. I don't think Catfish even explains that, and that person admitted having watched Catfish.
    Last edited by clovenhooves; 01-16-2019 at 08:09 PM.

I think that's over. Some topics of discussion were interesting, including some more dirt about goings-on not yet told to the public, but I think the person was winding it down, in part from having crusaded against the company as far as it probably can go. After I mentioned, in a clever, cloaked way, that I think that's an individual I knew years ago, I haven't heard anything back. Unfortunately, I didn't get a small favor I hoped to get out of it.

Spoke too soon. The person resumed talking. Did not acknowledge what I strongly implied about who I think that is. My priority is the favor. Maybe later I might suggest another means of conversing. The person isn't out to get me, and therefore keeping it going probably does no harm.

Update: I never stopped talking to that person, but it's become less frequent.

Recently the person posted some info to the world that, if true (which it very likely is), means it's someone else. I then did some searching and quickly found a third party (acquaintance of the original) that seemed to match many key details. I started confronting, and then realized one major similarity was my imagination, and the mysterious person denied sharing the account, knowing of me from before, or being anyone in disguise and claims not have to another account on the site. Isn't actually mad, still talking. Just evaded a question about why having that account and didn't deny technically the possibility of being in cahoots to disclose negative info about the major company (although has said tired of talking about that). Also, didn't rule out that the friend from there is my old, weird online acquaintance. The only thing I haven't asked that might get answered is whether the employee might know of me. If you have any strategies, please tell.

I think the biggest lesson I've learned is to wonder if a suspicious account is a shared account. A few Catfish episodes have revealed such situations, but it's not something people consider while they're going through the weirdness.

That person did more mouth-running and I think slipped up. Used an exclamation very similar to what someone else has used, showed an interest in a subject that someone else likes, and mentioned having acquaintances who have made fake accounts on at least one website (for a mix of practical reasons and amusement). I also realized that the talking to the third party likely was testing that person for worthiness of collaborating on a work project that just happened and the basic info was fake maybe just to avoid suspicion from me or ironically the employer.

Also, the backstory about where the person grew up (which was causing me doubt) is likely distorted and a specific past unofficial interaction with the company probably fake (maybe borrowed from the associate in the post above) and all that told to justify a heavy interest in company-related matters without seeming to be an employee.

The original acquaintance and I stopped getting along due to a battle of wills. I'm not going there again, especially since it's against that person's best interests to admit being what amounts to a mole. I think my best best is to get a reduction in deception about anything else from here on out. That person is not trying to harm me and I prefer having that person around to talk to, makes life more interesting. And by this time tomorrow I will have pulled a slight April Fool's joke on that person, a slight allusion to the deception, for I might as well do a little fibbing for fun when I have the chance.
    Last edited by clovenhooves; 03-31-2019 at 10:24 PM.

The joke got ignored, just like this.

I said I believe there's been some BS and tried to make a deal for less of it. It's been up-and-down since. Me talking like it's who I think it is (almost-famous person, sorry for not thinking to mention that before). Not getting denials or claimed confusion, but there are some lengthy silences and no overt agreement . I am working toward blunt discussion of why not. I even hinted at blocking, but I don't want to do that. I just want answers. It was very messy years ago, and I think trust is an issue.

I also found some data indicating that fake identities are rampant online even outside dating sites. You never know - maybe some members here are fibbing on basic life details.
    Last edited by clovenhooves; 04-12-2019 at 12:02 PM.

Blue Green Chameleon
    2001 Trans Am Vert

What in the sam hell is this nonsense on a car forum?
    2001 Trans Am Vert

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I'll take "bat shit crazy" for $100

Why not have a little weirdness and spice up the place? It's not the car section. I needed a place that not many people visit, where not many members would press me for details that could be dangerous. The person is good at scouring the Internet. (Company name + type of behavior + platform would lead here.) Caution justified with someone who got personally identifying information of mine when I didn't put it where any average person would know how to access.

Anyway, probably as an automated system response to the sneaky way that person uses the account, it got suspended today
    Last edited by clovenhooves; 04-18-2019 at 02:58 PM.

2014 GMC 1500 4x4
    1999 Camaro SS #1437

Yeah?

Nobody here can relate to dealing with people do very strange, underhanded things or are very frustrating?

The person, by the way, quickly got account access restored. I'd been looking forward to a new account toward which I could use leverage to forbid all private communication until behavior improves. Maybe soon, I'll do that anyway, because progress has stopped and I'm not doing anyone any favors by allowing disrespectful behavior to continue.

Blue Green Chameleon
    2001 Trans Am Vert

Babble babble babble.... Story is not even strange, it is just silly and pointless and basically incoherent to anyone, but the teller of it I guess.

Kind of tough to know how it's "incoherent" when nobody says what they're confused by.

It's not a celebrity or former celebrity, but.... If a faded celebrity did something creepy toward you (in addition to involuntarily using you as a ghostwriter) and then created a fake ID with which to talk to you/spread gossip to many, that wouldn't be a strange story? Also, there's a twist I can't tell anyone, and it would stun some famous people my online handful has worked with. But I did recently hear a story involving an actual celebrity who physically met a fan through the Internet, and it's weirder than my story, and so are some fan-meets-actual-celeb-through-the-Internet stories that have been made into TV shows. My story is different from those.... I just didn't start this thread accurately; it wasn't just gossip and up-and-down private or little-seen interaction between two nobodies over the Internet.

I'm in the process of reluctantly booting that person from my life, because of unexplained behavior toward me that I don't like. Stories like this never end well.
    Last edited by clovenhooves; 04-22-2019 at 03:36 PM.

Blue Green Chameleon
    2001 Trans Am Vert

You just like the attention or you would have booted them. There is nothing to gain except giving you something to babble about on other internet sites that obviously don't care as the responses have shown.

I've never formally booted anyone - it's an action that just doesn't feel right to me.
    It's more that I like discussing some company-related topics that few others want to talk about in depth (I like that much more than talking about cars) and also I like the person and share the anger at how that company is managed (as do most people here, if they knew what company I'm talking about). But all that isn't accomplishing more than discussing it here is, basically nothing. Improvement happens if/when it will happen, that's life, I guess. The thing that made it very hard to quit I think is solved - Catfish wouldn't have been a big hit if if unmasking a fake ID weren't very tempting.
    Last edited by clovenhooves; 04-23-2019 at 09:40 AM.

Blue Green Chameleon
    2001 Trans Am Vert

So I was at the store and bought this thing. But it was really another thing or at least I thought cause I did not open it. It was thew strangest thing, but it might hurt people if I said the thing so if you know then you don't and lilacs taste like mushrooms on the 27th and 14th if the sun comes through the left speaker while on juice.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information